Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #21

Anyone familiar with PFC 08s? So I installed a set of PFC 08s a month ago. I did not see any bed in procedure for them. I ran them fresh on the first session DE4 and they were shuddering. On session 2, they behaved better. So now I am using the car for weekend duty and the pads are screetching very loudly at slow speeds. Will it always be like that or is this just a wear-in phase?
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,H&R Sport Springs,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 80K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #22
On the slippery slope

Garage
I have been fan of EBC yellow, but did just have a problem

I was experiencing soft pedal, even when cold. The pads were pretty new, just 1 weekend on them.

Flushed the system 3 times, so I was pretty sure there was no air in the system. The pedal was still soft.

I swapped in some factory pads and the pedal was rock hard. Put the yellows back in and soft pedal. The pads while still having over 75% life left were cooked and rock hard

Per the suggestion from my mechanic, I got some Hawk DTC-60's. Put them in, rock hard pedal.

Just came back from a track weekend with my son also driving and the DTC-60's were spectacular. I'm not gonna use the EBC Yellow anymore

YMMV
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 02-04-2019 at 04:23 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #23

Any squeal on the way home?
Old 02-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #24
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Any squeal on the way home?
Naw, quite as a mouse sitting on my trailer

actually they didn't squeal at all even when cold

Also the DTC-60'S hardly showed any wear at all and we ran around 100 laps (approx 270 miles)

I shopped around a bit and then went to Summit Racing as they match any price and have fast delivery The set for both axles was ~$400.
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
Old 02-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #25
Racer Boy

From everything I've read, it sounded like PFC 08's would be my best choice, but I thought that they didn't make those for the 2.7 986s. It turns out that they do indeed make 08s for my car, and I found them at Apex Performance for less than I could find the Pagid Oranges (my third choice) or Raybestos RT43 (my second choice). From what I've read on this and other forums, you can't go wrong with any of those choices (PFC, Pagid, or Raybestos).

I've placed my order for the 08s, so I will be reporting on my findings. Seeing as how it's February and track season doesn't start for several months here in the Pacific North West, it'll be a while before I'll have anything to report.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #26

I know that I'm late to this party, but on my 986BS I used:
CarboTech 917 XP8 compound fronts and
CarboTech 738 XP10 rears.
I continued to track CarboTech's on my 981BS and I'm still very happy with them.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:05 AM   #27

Garage
I agree the Pagid Yellow and Pagid black are much better on the track. They last me about 2 times as long and don't fade. You will notice some squeal when they aren't hot
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #28
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post

The best high heat pads I have used are Raybestos ST-43 custom cut from Porterfield. Excellent modulation, heat management, and they last 20+ track days. I have run these pads for about 7 years now and love them. Downside: They squeal like a school bus when cold.
I switched to these brakes a week ago, in preparation for today's DE with PCA.

I gotta say, they're freaking AWESOME! Yes..... embarrassing on the street, what with the howl and squeal. But on the track, they're inspiring.

However:
I boiled the motul rbf600 fluid. Yeah..... I know.
Had to do a paddock bleed (thanks MaxD!). The next session I tried to brake harder, for less time. The brakes lasted, but I wasn't as smooth. I'll need to keep improving.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #29

Ok so I have used the PFC 08s for a full season about 10 events.
Not going back to EBC Yellow. For one, wear is almost negligeable. The cold to hot performance also not a lot. Initial break bite a little less but modulation is excellent.
They cost almost twice as much but will likely last 4 times longer.
Also they are not.wearing the rotors down much.
They do squeal both hot and cold. Only drawback.

So PFC 08 it will be for.a.while...
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,H&R Sport Springs,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 80K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:15 PM   #30
Racer Boy

I haven't done any updates on this thread, but I did switch to the PFC 08s. I tried to bed them in at least a little bit on the street, and they squealed like the school bus from hell.

The first track session, they juddered terribly once they got hot, but towards the end of the session they smoothed out a bit, so I was hoping that everything would be fine. The second session, they worked great! I've run four more track sessions since then without any judder issues at all. Now they are mostly quiet on the street.

My second track day was at Pacific Raceway, which is notoriously hard on brakes. I did get some fade, but they would come right back if you took it easy for half a lap. Overall, they are much better than any of the EBCs I've run. So far I'm pleased!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #31

Agreed. I just moved from a C4S with PFC 08s which squealed like a school bus.
On the boxster I also got the juddering on my first session, but after that they ran smooth and they aren't squealing at all hot or cold. My wife is excited, and I don't have to switch the brake pads back to stock for my wife in between track days if they stay quiet
PorscheTurbo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #32
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheTurbo04 View Post
Agreed. I just moved from a C4S with PFC 08s which squealed like a school bus.
On the boxster I also got the juddering on my first session, but after that they ran smooth and they aren't squealing at all hot or cold. My wife is excited, and I don't have to switch the brake pads back to stock for my wife in between track days if they stay quiet
You were probubly getting that judder because the was old pad compound on the rotors. Once it got burned off after a few laps and the new compound was burned on all was good