Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2022, 07:17 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
One point of clarification on PCA tech.

From the latest national minimum standard tech form:

Local regions may require a brake system bleed prior to all events, this is just a minimum standard.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bleeding your brakes before every event. It also allows you to take a look at your pads (inners can wear at a different rate sometimes) and suspension as well.

Agree on the Motive bleeder - just don't stick fluid it, use it only as a pressure source.
Come on MaxD let's not get stuck in the weeds... name of the game is SAFETY. And one of the first question I ask any student during my 3min brief before getting in their car is about maintenance (who does and last time brakes bled - ESPECIALLY if a Mustang, Camaro or other domestic with notoriously undersized calipers, pads, rotors.)

Anywho... also from latest national PCA DE minimum standards:

Quote:
Clothing and Helmet
All car occupants must wear a Snell approved helmet, which has the current available Snell rating or the one previous Snell rating. Other helmets are acceptable if they are approved for PCA Club Racing. Footwear must be enclosed, non-slip, with a relatively smooth sole. Hiking type deep lugged soles are not acceptable.
So all one needs is a snell approved helmet and closed toe shoes to participate in a DE. Everything else in between optional. Got it

Agree - use Motive bleeder only as pressure source - do not fill*.
(If you're a shop using everyday that's a different story but for avg DIY/track guy, use dry - much less mess and makes clean up a snap).

Good luck

Old 01-28-2022, 07:13 AM   #42

Thanks for the healthy discussion gents.

Since you guys mentioned bleeding brakes, have any of you tried the Schwaben bleeder from Pelican Parts? If so, how does it compare with the Motive bleeder? I ask because the Schwaben bleeder is on sale.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:03 AM   #43

i run pagid yellows all around street and track. no problems either place. no noise, dust meh. i had ebc green on a triumph race car and garbage. just beware that track pads (pagid anyway) tend to be thicker than street pads and if you stick those anti-squeak pads on them things will get tight. i was in a hurry and had a shop do pads and rotors prior to a track day and they stuck those things on without telling me and my rear wheels almost melted off. otherwise lots of track pads come without the sensor hole; tuck the sensor out of the way or snip the wires and twist them together - if you are tracking your car you should be eyes-on your pads and not relying on a light on the dash.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
Agree on the Motive bleeder - just don't stick fluid it, use it only as a pressure source.
I don't understand this rationale. if you bleed enough, the fluid will run out and then you'll get air in the MC.
Crack open a new cannister of brake fluid and use half of it to bleed instead of the full liter.
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
I don't understand this rationale. if you bleed enough, the fluid will run out and then you'll get air in the MC.
Crack open a new cannister of brake fluid and use half of it to bleed instead of the full liter.
i used to put brake fluid in the bleeder and had to to the big wash and rinse afterwards. even so, residual brake fluid would leave a white film in the bleeder. by using it as a pressure source there is no clean-up, just have to keep an eye on the reservoir while bleeding.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:14 AM   #46
On the slippery slope

Garage
And put an air quick connect in the line between the bottle and the cap. That way you can keep pressure in the bottle when adding more fluid to the reservoir and not have to fully repump
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
And put an air quick connect in the line between the bottle and the cap. That way you can keep pressure in the bottle when adding more fluid to the reservoir and not have to fully repump
Great mod!

Back to the OP - the Schwaben bleeder looks great.

The Motive base is pretty basic.

SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote