Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #41

Update on the engine failure.

I got the car back yesterday
The new (used) engine is running perfectly.
Oil pressure is as you would expect, and the most important is that it is back to normal values.

I set up the pulled engine on a stand today and the first thing I did was pull both scavenge pumps to see if they turn without effort or binding, and if there is any obvious damage. The reason for this is that valve keeper-like debris and other unidentified debris showed up in the bottom of my engine oil sump.

Bank 1: pump seemed to rotate by hand with little effort, but it would bind slightly every turn. That is not good to me. Should it not be a smooth rotation?

Bank 2: this is the suspect bank. When I pulled the pump, it will not turn by hand at all. I did not try to use a tool, but, obviously it turns otherwise the drive key would have sheared off. Then I looked inside the inlet side, and you can see damage from debris being ingested.

Here's a photo of that:

I plan on doing a leakdown test first and will pull the valve covers and inspect.

Best case: top end (head) rebuild?

Worst case: complete rebuild

As mentioned in earlier posts, the engine ran fine with no noises. The only issue I was chasing was low oil pressure at idle. Obviously, this was a ticking time bomb and I caught it in time to minimize damage.

I've done some work on engines, but never have touched an M96 (rebuild).

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Check the engine number on the sump rail; willing to be it has an "AT" in it, but the numbers will tell you what year it was designed for.
I looked this evening and could not find any markings around the sump. Where are the numbers located? Not on the sump plate itself I hope?
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
Old 09-28-2017, 01:25 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
I looked this evening and could not find any markings around the sump. Where are the numbers located? Not on the sump plate itself I hope?
Old 09-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #44

OK found it.
New engine is M96/21AT67Y65274
Looks like it was a reman engine M96 version 2.1 model year 2006.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #45

Update...

I ran at Wild Horse Pass last weekend and the new engine performed flawlessly. Seat of the pants feels like more power than the old engine since it is a 2006 rebuild. I recorded some in cab video and was reviewing to see how often the accusump came on. In general, right turns will activate the accusump more than left turns. It never activated for more than maybe 1 or 2 seconds at a time. I had my passenger look at oil pressure and temperature (ambient air temp was 95F), and pressure never came much lower than 40 psi, temp never higher than 225F. I am using Mobil 1 5W50 oil. Oil capacity now is almost 11 quarts, so that probably helps in keeping oil temps down.

So I am very satisfied with the results. The next thing I would do is add a pressure sender to the air side of the accusump and a switch on my panel to use the existing oil pressure gauge to read the air preload pressure. This had been suggested by StevedOx.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:29 AM   #46

This is a great write up!

Im considering an Accusump for my 01S that sees a lot of track duty. Wonderful build with the Accusump in the tunnel and the switch on the pressure gauge for oil/Accusump.

One question, I have a journal bearing on my IMS (L&N IMS Solution). There is an adaptor plate on the oil filter joint to feed the IMS bearing. I would assume that I can add the Accusump pick up plate to the IMS adaptor plate. Its a little bit of a Rube Goldburg design, but it should work. Or, can I tap into the Accupump plate for an additional small oil pickup to feed the bearing? Has anyone tried this?

Great thread overall, thx for the morning entertainment.
michaelpetersen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:01 AM   #47

Video results

Finally finished the install of the accusump on my '01 986 S. Installed it in the tunnel, it fits well and seems to be the most logical location.

Here is a video of the results on the track with track tires. I run my oil level about half way between low and full, with this set up I get an accusump dump on almost every corner and even under heavy breaking. Based on the video there are even a few longer corners where the accusump runs dry. Running Mobil 1 0W-40, BTW.

I also run into very low oil pressure at idle post track sessions, i.e 5-7 PSI at idle and 250 F oil temp.

Conclusion: If you're tracking a 986 or 996, strongly consider an Accusump or deeper oil pan, you'll need it.

Video Link - https://youtu.be/lp-PJr1aPtA

michaelpetersen3 is offline   Reply With Quote