Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #261
Track rat

Garage
Sounds like a lot of fun Tom. Few things are more exciting than going nose-to-tail and door to door in a wolfpack for a full session. You have been out of the saddle for quite a while with mechanical issues so give yourself time to regain the edge and as always, preserve the car. You can't win if you don't finish. Lots of BSR drivers in that group are going to get excited and toss a trans or motor in the heat of battle. Cool heads prevail!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #262
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
You have been out of the saddle for quite a while with mechanical issues so give yourself time to regain the edge...
What? Lost my edge? Good point and I am sure that you are correct. I need to keep that in mind and temper my expectations accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
... and as always, preserve the car. You can't win if you don't finish. Lots of BSR drivers in that group are going to get excited and toss a trans or motor in the heat of battle. Cool heads prevail!
I know a couple of drivers who experienced that truth (can't win if you don't finish or if you spin off track) this weekend. Another excellent piece of feedback.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 02-10-2015 at 06:24 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #263
Rennzenn

Garage
Wow, excellent write up. Someday I may graduate from AX to W2W.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #264
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is some video from last weekend. This is from Saturday's race - unfortunately my video cam didn't turn on at all on Sunday.

As this video shows, sometimes its not all about finishing place; the race itself can be quite rewarding even if you're back in the middle of the pack.

As usual, the start is insane. The BSR group got our own start (only Boxster's, all of the other cars started a half-lap in front of us) so it was pretty even. I got a decent jump but forgot to downshift into the first corner as the traffic piles up. Then I have no torque on corner exit, have to downshift, and in doing so, lose a little momentum and drop back one place.

There was a little bit of controversy after the race when I talked with the driver of the maroon car - he didn't think that it was entirely fair that I caught him after he slowed for the dust cloud. He wasn't mad but he did mention it.

From my point of view, the yellow flag is thrown just as I pass the flagman meaning to drive with caution and no passing. I could see the car that spun off to the left and there was no one else in from me but the maroon car so I maintained my speed through the dust whereas he braked heavily.

I didn't feel badly about it as I didn't literally pass him in the dust cloud; merely caught up to him. It still took me two laps to actually make the pass (including one failed pass attempt), so he had more than enough opportunity to drive away from me if he was indeed faster. And he had multiple laps after I passed him to get it back from me (which he almost did!).

All in all, a very fun race. Enjoy in full screen HD!

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 02-16-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Here is some video from last weekend. This is from Saturday's race - unfortunately my video cam didn't turn on at all on Sunday.

As usual, the start is insane. The BSR group got our own start so it was a pretty even start. I got a decent jump but forgot to downshift into the first corner as the traffic piles up. Then I have no torque on exit, have to downshift, and in doing so, drop back one place.

There was a little bit of controversy after the race when I talked with the driver of the maroon car - he didn't think that it was entirely fair that I caught him after he slowed for the dust cloud. He wasn't mad but he did mention it.

From my point of view, the yellow flag is thrown just as I pass the flagman meaning to drive with caution and no passing. I could see the car that spun off to the left and there was no one else in from me but the maroon car so I maintained my speed through the dust whereas he braked heavily.

I didn't feel badly about it as I didn't literally pass him in the dust cloud; merely caught up to him. It still took me two laps to actually make the pass (including one failed pass attempt), so he had more than enough opportunity to drive away from me if he was indeed faster. And he had multiple laps after I passed him to get it back from me (which he almost did!).

All in all, a very fun race. Enjoy in full screen HD!

Thanks for sharing....

The side by side action at the very end -- was very tense to watch -- I'm sure it was fun as well as a handful.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #266

Very nice battle with the maroon car. Looks like your car could hold the corners much tighter.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #267

The maroon car was also warned at the end of the race not to show up again with full fiberglass bumper, hood, etc.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #268

Damn - I watch that full screen with the sound up and it feels like I'm sitting next to you - I can feel my pulse and respiration increase!

Living vicariously through Tom's videos - Thanks!

Rick
Old 02-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #269

Me too, I love watching them.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #270
Certified Boxster Addict

After one race weekend and one practice day, here are my thoughts on running a square setup;

Thus far, I have posted consistently slower lap times at two different tracks while running square vs staggered. Somewhat disappointing.

The staggered setup tends to understeer. Dial out some of that understeer and the car can be fairly neutral (balanced). With this setup, I was able to match class record times in BSX and post some pretty fast BSR times. But they were still a few seconds off of the fastest BSR guys (who all run square).

The square setup tends to oversteer. A lot. If you like to drift at 120mph, then put another set of 255's in front, don't change a thing, and that rear will slide with little provocation. The problem is that the car loses grip when the rear is sliding and its hard to go any faster.

At first, I thought it was me. I thought that I had to get used to the car being loose and not to fight it - kind of let the car have its head and keep my foot in the throttle and keep it out of the ditch (meaning counter-steering like a madman to keep the rear of the car in line with the front!).

But alas, nothing helped. At least nothing within the driving skillset that I possess today.

So, where do I go from here? I still think that the square setup will be faster. Why? Because the front end grip is hugely increased over the staggered setup. That should allow faster entry and mid-corner speeds - which should result in faster corner exit speeds which results in faster straight line speeds. Basically, faster everywhere.

The next step is to work to tune out some of the oversteer. This should help plant the rear of the car through the corners so I can increase the speeds.

I'll let you know how it goes...
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 03-17-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #271

I run square on AX events and any non-smooth action makes me do a 180. Bigger sway bar (GT3) is the commonly prescribed solution to help balance the car.
I'm tuned in to see how you address it.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #272

keep the fronts wide and make the rears wider?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #273
Track rat

Garage
Different cars with different setup will respond differently. Duh! But for what it's worth I ran both ways quite a bit. My best setup for square was middle adj hole on the front sway and softest rear sway setting. When running staggered I liked full soft/soft running NT-01s. Tires with more lateral grip might need more (firmer) sway settings but try this as a starting point.

I did a lot of testing over 3 years and nearly always ran faster staggered but only by a few 10ths. AX was faster square hands down. In racing, a good square setup might benefit heavy braking, passing into corners and holding your line in heavy traffic. Data showed I nearly always gave up some top speed at the end of a long straight.

Everything is a tradeoff.

Don't underestimate the fact that you have been out of the saddle for a while and the edge is dulled a bit. Back when racing MX/Grand Prix I found that sitting out for 6 months due to injury required 1-2 months of weekly racing to get my competitive edge back. My first few days back in expert class usually resulted in a DFL finish.

Last edited by Topless; 03-18-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #274
Certified Boxster Addict

Back in the saddle this weekend for the PCA California Festival of Speed!

Wow, what an excellent event! I had great time racing and had a lot of friends and family attend and they all had a great time.

For the record;
Sprint Race #1: 3rd of 8 (started 4th)
Sprint Race #2: 4th of 7 (started 7th)

More photos and details coming in the next few days!

1979 911 SC
Old 04-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #275
Certified Boxster Addict

I usually post a nicely edited highlight video of the race - and I still intend to do that - but let's start with a 45 sec video clip of what not to do!

In Sunday's race, I started last (7th) and worked my way through the field to battle for 3rd. I was doing everything that I could think of to get by but just couldn't get it done.

Then this happened.

Nothing major and it was nice that when I came to a stop, I could see that the down-track traffic was clear so I could immediately get underway. I had put a big lead onto the the cars in 5th and 6th and while they did catch up to me, I was able to hold them off for the 4th place finish.

Be sure that the replay is set to HD for the highest quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4NeLt2lB6k
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 04-15-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:56 AM   #276
Certified Boxster Addict

A nice photo from the California Festival of Speed last weekend. Working on the videos!

1979 911 SC
Old 04-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #277

Tom where did that spin come from? Wham! Too shallow and too hot to the apex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I usually post a nicely edited highlight video of the race - and I still intend to do that - but let's start with a 45 sec video clip of what not to do!

In Sunday's race, I started last (7th) and worked my way through the field to battle for 3rd. I was doing everything that I could think of to get by but just couldn't get it done.

Then this happened.

Nothing major and it was nice that when I came to a stop, I could see that the down-track traffic was clear so I could immediately get underway. I had put a big lead onto the the cars in 5th and 6th and while they did catch up to me, I was able to hold them off for the 4th place finish.

Be sure that the replay is set to HD for the highest quality.

Tom where did that spin come from...wham? Too shallow and too hot going in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4NeLt2lB6k
Old 04-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #278
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Tom where did that spin come from? Wham! Too shallow and too hot to the apex?
I think that it came from diving in too hot. I was trying to trail brake at corner entry but since I came in so shallow I had to put a lot more angle into the steering which broke the rear loose and then I wasn't quick enough to catch it.

Subsequently, rather than carrying too much speed at corner entry, I came into that turn a little wider and a little slower and concentrated on getting on the throttle as soon as possible to get a good launch at corner exit (the old adage of slow in and faster out is always a good bet).

I like your "Wham" characterization! R-compound tires let go somewhat quickly and without much tire squeal beforehand so you better to be ready when that happens or the car will come around fast like this one did (thank you Boxster low polar moment of inertia).

I am also glad that the audio didn't catch any of what I was yelling to myself inside my helmet...
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 04-18-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #279
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is a short video clip of Race #1 at the PCA Festival of Speed at AutoClub Speedway. There is a spin in the first tight corner and everyone gets jammed up - chaos everywhere!

Recommend watching in HD full screen! (YouTube will often default to low quality)

1979 911 SC
Old 05-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #280

Just spent the last hour reading this thread and watching the videos. Great stuff, thanks for posting.

As Harry Callahan said in Magnum Force, "A man's got to know his limitations". I'll stick to AX!

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote