Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is video from the first two laps of Race 1 at AutoClub Speedway two weeks ago.

As usual, the starts are intense! Be sure to look at the rear view camera to see what appears to be contact between the #9 and the #150 in Turn 4 (1:10 into the video).

My goal for the first two laps was to stay out of trouble and at least maintain position - then I was going to try and work my way forward in middle and later portion of the race.

Enjoy!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:39 AM   #2

Great video! Can't wait for the next one.

Did #100 cheat a bit on the exit corner onto the oval when chasing the Cayman? She cut under the cones. Just wondering if that's condoned or frowned on?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Great video! Can't wait for the next one.

Did #100 cheat a bit on the exit corner onto the oval when chasing the Cayman? She cut under the cones. Just wondering if that's condoned or frowned on?
I'm on the edge of my chair about 2" from the screen learning into the corners, and rocking back and forth during braking -- I'm sure somebody looking into my office is probably wondering what the heck I am doing ...

good stuff!

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
In this instance, generally ok. The cones in that section were obviously hit and moved by an earlier car and thus, they are more like obstacles - especially the first time that a driver sees the "new" configuration.

Also, it looks like the #100 is gaining on the Cayman and in previous corners the Cayman driver overslowed (and then made it up in horsepower on the straight), so the #100 might have also been taking the best line to avoid the Cayman.

Last, in subsequent laps, the #100 takes the traditional line which is what leads me to make the above statements.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 09-25-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:55 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

Stone, great video! Where are the next 3 laps? ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #6

Pic of tom's shift knob on my chinesium short shifter

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Pic of tom's shift knob on my chinesium short shifter

Looks great! Glad that it works well.

I am in the process of building up an identical setup - Bens's short shifter, Function First metal bushings, and my rally shifter.
1979 911 SC
Old 10-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Today I installed Ben's short shifter kit and the Function First bearing kit into a used stock 986 shift assembly that I bought from eBay (keeping my 997 shifter as a spare).

The install was pretty easy and took about an hour. There is zero, and I mean ZERO, slop in the mechanism now!

I would have installed it into the car today but the shift cable adjuster ball socket that came with the used shift assy was worn and damaged (no surprise there!). I ordered new replacements for both cable adjustors to be sure that everything is a tight as it can be when I get it back into the car.

Everything lined up to start...

Damaged ball cap...

The shifter "frame" is the only part that I ended up using from the stock assembly...

Here is the completed shift assy...

Close up of the shift mechanism...
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 10-07-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #9

Nice. I will very interested to hear how this set up works under track duress....I think the five speed is a lot easier shift than he six I have

To be honest I was secretly hoping to see this in the car:

Old 10-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Nice. I will very interested to hear how this set up works under track duress....I think the five speed is a lot easier shift than he six I have

To be honest I was secretly hoping to see this in the car:
The funny thing about the six in my car is that I've never actually shifted into sixth. LOL. The tracks I run, no need for more than 5th.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
The funny thing about the six in my car is that I've never actually shifted into sixth. LOL. The tracks I run, no need for more than 5th.
Not currently track driving.......but I can say the same even at Mosport......look it up and check how fast it is

Last edited by jaykay; 10-11-2018 at 06:08 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
I have not been able to hit 6th gear either, even on the 1KM back straight at COTA. I get to 6K RPM (my shift pt) in 5th and there doesn't seem to be enough room left to make it worth shifting to 6th. If I can get off T14 at Indy faster next yr, I might be able to catch 6th. We'll see, something to shoot for in 2019.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Ok, I finally got the updated shifter installed and ran it at Buttonwillow Raceway last weekend (two days of practice).

It. Was. Awesome.

The combination of the Ben's short shifter, Function First bearings, and my rally shift knob was perfect! There is no slop in the shifting mechanism and the tall rally shift knob brings the shifter closer to the steering wheel within quick and natural reach. The shifts were effortless and I never had to think about a shift while out of the track.

1979 911 SC
Old 11-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Ok, I finally got the updated shifter installed and ran it at Buttonwillow Raceway last weekend (two days of practice).

It. Was. Awesome.

The combination of the Ben's short shifter, Function First bearings, and my rally shift knob was perfect! There is no slop in the shifting mechanism and the tall rally shift knob brings the shifter closer to the steering wheel within quick and natural reach. The shifts were effortless and I never had to think about a shift while out of the track.

Do you feel that a 997 shifter and tall handle / knob is a no go?

My elbow already crashes into the arm rest / console with the 997 Porsche SSK. I would like an increase in control resolution that going to a standard 997 offers but I fear that this will put travel way too far back in the gate (6-speed)

My home made knob is mounted quite low out necessity ( just to mount it)so shift effort is very high........2 to 3 can be very difficult especially on track when everything heats up.

I am planning on trying a Cayman engine cover to take pressure of the shifter cables and chaining the transmission mounts....all in an effort to smooth out shifting.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Do you feel that a 997 shifter and tall handle / knob is a no go?

My elbow already crashes into the arm rest / console with the 997 Porsche SSK. I would like an increase in control resolution that going to a standard 997 offers but I fear that this will put travel way too far back in the gate (6-speed)

My home made knob is mounted quite low out necessity ( just to mount it)so shift effort is very high........2 to 3 can be very difficult especially on track when everything heats up.

I am planning on trying a Cayman engine cover to take pressure of the shifter cables and chaining the transmission mounts....all in an effort to smooth out shifting.
Its all about trade-offs: the taller the shift knob, the longer the travel becomes. The tall knob with the 997 shifter had a longer throw than I wanted so I went to the short shifter, but everyone is different. If you want to try it, I'll be glad to print one and ship it to you to see what you think. PM me if interested.
1979 911 SC
Old 11-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

I had a blast of a Saturday racing at Buttonwillow with the PCA! (but I'm home a day early)

For the record, I qualified 6th of 14, worked my way up to 3rd, but did not finish (DNF) due to to a spin off track which knocked the alignment off and ended the weekend.

And per normal procedure at Buttonwillow, I had what seemed like 25 lbs of California Central Valley dirt both outside and inside the car! The dust there is super fine and when someone goes off course, it creates huge opaque dust clouds.

Overall, I am pleased with my progress and was definitely faster at this track than I ever have been. There were moments of brilliance but unfortunately they were often followed by mistakes. Now, I just need to work on consistency, consistency, consistency.

Video coming...

1979 911 SC
Old 11-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #17
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I had a blast of a Saturday racing at Buttonwillow with the PCA! (but I'm home a day early)

For the record, I qualified 6th of 14, worked my way up to 3rd, but did not finish (DNF) due to to a spin off track which knocked the alignment off and ended the weekend.

And per normal procedure at Buttonwillow, I had what seemed like 25 lbs of California Central Valley dirt both outside and inside the car! The dust there is super fine and when someone goes off course, it creates huge opaque dust clouds.

Overall, I am pleased with my progress and was definitely faster at this track than I ever have been. There were moments of brilliance but unfortunately they were often followed by mistakes. Now, I just need to work on consistency, consistency, consistency.

Video coming...

Hmmmmmm........ jealous.

Green with envy.

Love that track.... but never been on 4 wheels. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #18
Track rat

Garage
Good seeing you out there Tom! I did notice the car in the garage Saturday with a generous dusting of BW soil. Lots of cars got dirty this weekend but thankfully mine was not one of them.

My weekend went very well. I worked with a student in a 997 and he did great, getting signed-off to solo on Sunday. The weather, car, and tires cooperated and I managed a personal best in the final TT Sunday to seal a 2018 PCA CC07 Championship. A nice finish to a goofy season for me.

Now to prep for Laguna Seca in 2 weeks...
Old 11-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #19
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Good seeing you out there Tom! I did notice the car in the garage Saturday with a generous dusting of BW soil. Lots of cars got dirty this weekend but thankfully mine was not one of them.

My weekend went very well. I worked with a student in a 997 and he did great, getting signed-off to solo on Sunday. The weather, car, and tires cooperated and I managed a personal best in the final TT Sunday to seal a 2018 PCA CC07 Championship. A nice finish to a goofy season for me.

Now to prep for Laguna Seca in 2 weeks...
Congratulations on the TT Championship! Well done and well deserved!
1979 911 SC
Old 11-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #20
On the slippery slope

Garage
Great catching up with you as well. Sorry you had to miss Sunday.

Congrats to Topless too . Guess I have to suffer with 2nd place There is always next year
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote