Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
I've spent a bit of time in C5 and C5 Z06 cars. Obviously both cars are significantly faster in a straight line than a Boxster or Boxster S.

But they will also positively rape a Boxster around an autocross course or open track.
i disagree. i have a BASE boxster w/ M030 and i passed both C5's that were with us on a trip to Talladega grand prix. my lap times were a lot better. these were decent drivers. a C5 might be able to 'rape' a boxster on an autoX or tight track with a HERO behind the wheel, but even seasoned drivers will find it tough to beat a box in autoX or on a tight track. open up the track a bit and obviously the horsepower wins.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #42

As I said before, both great cars and many folks will like both.

No need to drag either of them down to like what you have.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
gee I need some coffee, it took a whole five minutes before I figured out
that its a head, two arms a big belly and two legs.
Thank you for clarifying. I didn't get it until I read your post.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
i disagree. i have a BASE boxster w/ M030 and i passed both C5's that were with us on a trip to Talladega grand prix. my lap times were a lot better. these were decent drivers. a C5 might be able to 'rape' a boxster on an autoX or tight track with a HERO behind the wheel, but even seasoned drivers will find it tough to beat a box in autoX or on a tight track. open up the track a bit and obviously the horsepower wins.
You encountered some less than stellar drivers, or your car was better set up (tires, etc) than their cars were.

SCCA autocross classes all 986s in A Stock and all C5s in Super Stock. The C5 Z06 has been the car to have in Super Stock for many years. The 986 used to be in the same class as the C5, but it was moved down a couple of years ago because it realistically has no chance against those cars.

Last edited by John V; 02-14-2007 at 09:48 AM.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
You nailed the fiberglass's "rigidity" problem vs unibody right on the head. Drive a Boxster right after driving a Corvette. It feels like it was made of one piece. Drive the Corvette again and the rattles and squeaks become even more obvious -- even in the Coupe (not even talking about the convertible). Fiberglass pieces may have advantages over equivalent steel/aluminum pieces but you cannot weld them to the rest of the car/frame.

Without question, the Corvette is a formidable performance value for $. But free lunches are very rare. Anyway, it was good to learn something about plastic composites today.

Z.
The Corvette's FRP skin isn't exactly fiberglass.

The Corvette's chassis is significantly stiffer in torsional rigidity than the Boxster's. The Boxster is at the low end of the spectrum in terms of torsional rigidity for cars of its ilk (Z4, S2000).
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #46

Quote:

The Corvette's chassis is significantly stiffer in torsional rigidity than the Boxster's. The Boxster is at the low end of the spectrum in terms of torsional rigidity for cars of its ilk (Z4, S2000).
Interestingly, a recent issue of C and D had a test where we saw the z06 spank the new GT3 in a straight line AND at the track, and at 40K less in purchase price.

Not bad!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #47

Quote:

Then, I guess, the rattles and squeaks weren't caused by lack of torsional rigidity.

Z.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:40 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Interestingly, a recent issue of C and D had a test where we saw the z06 spank the new GT3 in a straight line AND at the track, and at 40K less in purchase price.

Not bad!
the new Z06 is absolutely ridiculous. much easier to drive than the old one, too.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote