Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #1

Improve key fob performance?

The lock/unlock button has been getting worse over time. It seems the optimal range is now about 3". I recently changed out the battery, but it hasn't seemed to help much. Is that button itself going out? Is there any way to improve the performance?

Old 06-18-2021, 03:11 AM   #2

Do you know how to solder ? Or know someone that does ? The switches are easily replaced if you know how to solder . They are simple surface mount devices . First disassemble and with a magnifying glass or microscope inspect the switch solder joints . You are looking for any fractures or cold solder joints . Sometimes reflowing the existing solder joints fixes the problems .

If that doesn't do it replace the switches . Carefully remove them using solder wick you do NOT want to damage the pads . New switches are available from various online retailers and are inexpensive. With good switches and good solder connections the performance should be good as new .

WARNING- if you don't know what you are doing I would not attempt the repair . It is a small surface mount board and if you overheat or lift the pad you are in for an $$$ lesson . Good luck
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:00 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Do you know how to solder ? Or know someone that does ? The switches are easily replaced if you know how to solder . They are simple surface mount devices . First disassemble and with a magnifying glass or microscope inspect the switch solder joints . You are looking for any fractures or cold solder joints . Sometimes reflowing the existing solder joints fixes the problems .

If that doesn't do it replace the switches . Carefully remove them using solder wick you do NOT want to damage the pads . New switches are available from various online retailers and are inexpensive. With good switches and good solder connections the performance should be good as new .

WARNING- if you don't know what you are doing I would not attempt the repair . It is a small surface mount board and if you overheat or lift the pad you are in for an $$$ lesson . Good luck
Sounds like you know what you're doing. Do, will, you repair inoperable keyfobs? Maybe not Porsche? Thanks!
Old 06-19-2021, 02:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Sounds like you know what you're doing. Do, will, you repair inoperable keyfobs? Maybe not Porsche? Thanks!
I worked for Lockheed Martin for 26 years and have worked on lots of PWB's and CCA's for military applications . I did replace the switches on my key FOB and it works great . I am now retired and enjoying not having to touch a solder iron . So no not interested in doing any repairs for others . Sorry
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:09 AM   #5

Ok. So aside from home repair, what are my options? Are there any third party fobs I can buy?
Old 06-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #6

Option 1: New key fob from Dealer. programmed by dealer
Option 2: Install aftermarket keyless entry system. If having someone do this, cost will most likely equal the cost of Option 1
Option 3: Live with it and just use physical key to lock/unlock car
Option 4: Replace immobilizer, DME & Key with used from a donor car. SOMETIMES this can be cheaper then Option 1 if you get 2 keys from the donor car. You will have to swap over your key shank and/or have the dealer get new ones cut for you from Germany (yes, Factory is only who can do this Dealer can't)

2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote