986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Improve key fob performance? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80892)

Finnegan 06-17-2021 07:21 PM

Improve key fob performance?

The lock/unlock button has been getting worse over time. It seems the optimal range is now about 3". I recently changed out the battery, but it hasn't seemed to help much. Is that button itself going out? Is there any way to improve the performance?

rfuerst911sc 06-18-2021 03:11 AM

Do you know how to solder ? Or know someone that does ? The switches are easily replaced if you know how to solder . They are simple surface mount devices . First disassemble and with a magnifying glass or microscope inspect the switch solder joints . You are looking for any fractures or cold solder joints . Sometimes reflowing the existing solder joints fixes the problems .

If that doesn't do it replace the switches . Carefully remove them using solder wick you do NOT want to damage the pads . New switches are available from various online retailers and are inexpensive. With good switches and good solder connections the performance should be good as new .

WARNING- if you don't know what you are doing I would not attempt the repair . It is a small surface mount board and if you overheat or lift the pad you are in for an $$$ lesson . Good luck

Starter986 06-18-2021 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 637580)
Do you know how to solder ? Or know someone that does ? The switches are easily replaced if you know how to solder . They are simple surface mount devices . First disassemble and with a magnifying glass or microscope inspect the switch solder joints . You are looking for any fractures or cold solder joints . Sometimes reflowing the existing solder joints fixes the problems .

If that doesn't do it replace the switches . Carefully remove them using solder wick you do NOT want to damage the pads . New switches are available from various online retailers and are inexpensive. With good switches and good solder connections the performance should be good as new .

WARNING- if you don't know what you are doing I would not attempt the repair . It is a small surface mount board and if you overheat or lift the pad you are in for an $$$ lesson . Good luck

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Do, will, you repair inoperable keyfobs? Maybe not Porsche? Thanks! :cheers:

rfuerst911sc 06-19-2021 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 637584)
Sounds like you know what you're doing. Do, will, you repair inoperable keyfobs? Maybe not Porsche? Thanks! :cheers:

I worked for Lockheed Martin for 26 years and have worked on lots of PWB's and CCA's for military applications . I did replace the switches on my key FOB and it works great . I am now retired and enjoying not having to touch a solder iron . So no not interested in doing any repairs for others . Sorry

Finnegan 06-28-2021 07:09 AM

Ok. So aside from home repair, what are my options? Are there any third party fobs I can buy?

Stl-986 06-28-2021 12:35 PM

Option 1: New key fob from Dealer. programmed by dealer
Option 2: Install aftermarket keyless entry system. If having someone do this, cost will most likely equal the cost of Option 1
Option 3: Live with it and just use physical key to lock/unlock car
Option 4: Replace immobilizer, DME & Key with used from a donor car. SOMETIMES this can be cheaper then Option 1 if you get 2 keys from the donor car. You will have to swap over your key shank and/or have the dealer get new ones cut for you from Germany (yes, Factory is only who can do this Dealer can't)