Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #1

From the Potentially Stupid Question department

I have an '03 Boxster recently acquired and it is easily the nicest car I have ever owned so I am trying to be extra careful and diligent with it.. I set out to perform my first oil change after having briefed myself on jacking technique from the 1010 Projects book.

I was seeking the center rail near the front of the car to raise it in order to insert the jack stands. It seems that rail is covered by a plastic pan making it quite difficult to discern the proper location of the rail.

So the potentially stupid question is-am I missing something obvious here?

The book and a couple of youTube videos on the subject do not show this panel so I am posting here for some guidance.

Thank you

JillsPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #2
A Porsche Guy

You must have a different book from the rest of us because Wayne published 101 projects . You do not want to follow his instructions in diagram 1 with the yellow arrow to jack up your car. This will bend that area for sure. That's why other books and youtube videos do not show it. If you're doing an oil change you can jack up the rear suspension mounting point shown in his diagram 2 and place jacks on the rear. You don't need to have the vehicle jack up in all four points for this. A briefing on how to safely jack up your vehicle isn't enough. Make sure you practice safety precautions and have several supports while underneath the car. Don't rely on just jack stands or a jack to support your vehicle.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-15-2020 at 04:54 PM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I bought a set of Lift Bars a couple of years ago and haven't looked back since. They are pricey, but rock solid. Liftbars

You can jack one side of the car up with the rear jack mount point. Then place your stands under the car. The regular Y yoke stands do not naturally fit under the OEM points. Some people spring for the flat top stands. The car sits nicely on top of those. Again, they are not cheap. https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/ShopCart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_ESCOjs-detail.htm

However you do it, always have something extra as a backup, i.e. wheels, jack, wood blocks. Safe travels and wrenching.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #4

Thank you for the pointers. I am somewhat relieved that apparently I am not crazy or hallucinating about the chassis representations!

In the "more good news" area- I got a Call from Harbor Freight this morning informing me that the jack stands I purchased have been recalled!:ah:
JillsPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #5
A Porsche Guy

It's better to find out now about the safety issue than when it fails on you. You will want a low profile jack as a standard jack won't clear it without you having to roll over something like a wooden plank. Low profile jacks tend to cost more.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #6

There is an entire thread on here about those recalled hf stands. Being a carpenter I always go with the solid wood blocking methods that 4 Post lift is looking better all the time I could store my boat under the car all winter. Please don't use cement blocks they can fail unexpectedly. Always have a back up
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:37 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Potentially?
Old 07-16-2020, 05:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
You must have a different book from the rest of us because Wayne published 101 projects . You do not want to follow his instructions in diagram 1 with the yellow arrow to jack up your car. This will bend that area for sure. That's why other books and youtube videos do not show it. If you're doing an oil change you can jack up the rear suspension mounting point shown in his diagram 2 and place jacks on the rear. You don't need to have the vehicle jack up in all four points for this. A briefing on how to safely jack up your vehicle isn't enough. Make sure you practice safety precautions and have several supports while underneath the car. Don't rely on just jack stands or a jack to support your vehicle.
I’ve had some minor disagreements with recommendations made in the 101 Projects book (based, necessarily, on research I’ve done on the matter in question—I’ve not been wrenching on cars since I was a kid like some of the folks on this board), but I’m not sure I agree with your assessment regarding the front jacking point Wayne uses. The one with the yellow arrow.

This guy seems to like it, and it’s pretty clear he’s done lots of work on his Boxster (up to and including IMS bearing replacement), much of it requiring jacking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDA-qI5HsIU

I would definitely go along with his suggestion that a hockey puck (or similar) be utilized if that spot is used for jacking. Aside from that, it seems he’s used that location repeatedly without problems.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #9
A Porsche Guy

Frodo, John makes great videos on how to maintain his wife's Boxster. My favorite is his coolant flush done the old school way. I can see why you're not sure you agree with me. Let me explain.

I think there's been some confusion on what I said about the yellow arrow so let me clarify. I am not saying do not use the right reinforce steel part of the frame in the front.

What I am saying is do not use the point where the yellow arrow is pointed (line indentation) at in the 101 Book if that makes sense? That part is not strong and it will bend. For those that haven't watched John's video, he clearly states the front of the reinforce steel part. Brian Minson recently video also shows you about this as well. AsXDoesStuff is the first video I watched on how to jack up my Boxster as he shows you how to use the scissor jacks with a low profile jack.

But in general, watch Neil's way of jacking up the car. I like to use the rear jack stand points to jack up my front than the reinforce bar in the front because I don't have enough clearance room because of my bulky jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La6i3TwMB8k

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-16-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #10

For oil changes, just get yourself a pair of Rhino ramps (or similar) and back it up on the ramps. Piece of cake. They only rise about 6" or so, so you will get the oil out. I just did my oil and filter (and trans-axle at a different time) on my ramps and got over 9 quarts out. Plenty of room and safe.
willw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
Frodo, John makes great videos on how to maintain his wife's Boxster. My favorite is his coolant flush done the old school way. I can see why you're not sure you agree with me. Let me explain.

I think there's been some confusion on what I said about the yellow arrow so let me clarify. I am not saying do not use the right reinforce steel part of the frame in the front.

What I am saying is do not use the point where the yellow arrow is pointed (line indentation) at in the 101 Book if that makes sense? That part is not strong and it will bend. For those that haven't watched John's video, he clearly states the front of the reinforce steel part. Brian Minson recently video also shows you about this as well. AsXDoesStuff is the first video I watched on how to jack up my Boxster as he shows you how to use the scissor jacks with a low profile jack.

But in general, watch Neil's way of jacking up the car. I like to use the rear jack stand points to jack up my front than the reinforce bar in the front because I don't have enough clearance room because of my bulky jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La6i3TwMB8k
Gotcha. Makes sense.
We just interpreted how to 'read the arrow' differently. I read it as indicating that whole rectangular area in front of the indentation you refer to.
And yeah, I think I've watched most if not all the How to Jack Up Your Boxster vids.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by willw View Post
For oil changes, just get yourself a pair of Rhino ramps (or similar) and back it up on the ramps. Piece of cake. They only rise about 6" or so, so you will get the oil out. I just did my oil and filter (and trans-axle at a different time) on my ramps and got over 9 quarts out. Plenty of room and safe.
Yup, for oil changes that's what I do. I have the advantage of having part of my driveway sloped a bit. I start with the front of the car uphill and back onto my ramps. When I do it right, the car ends up perfectly level. And? I've done it a bunch of times over 14 years...I always 'do it right' anymore.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willw View Post

You can't get all the old oil out unless the car is level.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 07-16-2020 at 11:05 AM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #14

Garage
Quickjacks are much better than ramps and jack stands. They are also super fast to deeply. I have not looked back since I got mine.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #15
jcp

I went with the Quickjack units also. The factory occasionally has refurbed sets available and they are about 25% cheaper.
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:36 PM   #16
Who's askin'?

Yup, I love my quickJacks (don't buy from Northern to though..... they suck a$$.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:25 AM   #17
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Yup, for oil changes that's what I do. I have the advantage of having part of my driveway sloped a bit. I start with the front of the car uphill and back onto my ramps. When I do it right, the car ends up perfectly level. And? I've done it a bunch of times over 14 years...I always 'do it right' anymore.
I do the same thing. I guess great minds think alike
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:38 AM   #18

That's what they say.
And I'm not inclined to argue with them.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:40 AM   #19

I used to do oil changes on a sloped driveway. Drive the back of the car up the ramps and the car was level. And the extra height made sliding in under the car extra easy.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #20
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
That's what they say.
And I'm not inclined to argue with them.
Very punny

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote