Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

Uncertain what to do with my "broken" Boxster..

Long story short I have a 2001 Boxster S with 55k on it with a broken engine, " D chunk" in one of the cylinders. This happened in 2014, I had a medical situation that kept me out of commission since. But lately its been really bothering me the car sitting in my garage with no engine. I need to find a proper path to what to do.

Ive tried getting ideas from the Porsche Boxster 986 facebook group and a while ago I posted something about this situation but never got a good answer as what to do.

I want more power, and I want to stick with Porsche engines. No LS's or Subaru engines etc. I dont want to hear about anything else but Porsche.

I spoke with Jake Raby a while ago and was quoted $20k USD for a stage one performer engine upgrade. He says he can open it up to a 3.8 and claims 100hp gains over the 3.2 engine. I live in Ottawa, Canada so the logistics would be a pain im sure and costs would exceed well over $20k USD when all is said and done im sure.

Literally saw a 2002 911 TTS 6speed with 45k for sale the other day, next day it was gone. It had a minor accident with a rebuilt title but like $30k USD ready to go! So when I see stuff like that I wonder if $20k USD for an engine rebuild on a 986 is the right move. All I know is im fed up with seeing my car in the garage with no engine for almost 6 years. I need to figure out a plan of action.

So please someone with experience chime in. I want more power. I want a Porsche engine and I dont want to spend more than $10K USD. Id maybe spend the $20k USD if that means 450hp all motor. But thats wishful thinking...

Old 03-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #2

Nitrous? $1500 never felt so fast.

Porsche isn't for cheap, bang for buck just doesn't compute.

Sell the roller and get a 911. That's what I'd do in your shoes.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #3

Garage
A quick look on ebay turned up lots of 996 engines for less than $7000 US. I didn't look closely but there should be some decent ones in there.
Or check with Byprdriver for his... see this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1180517-help-on-diagnosis.html
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

Too bad you're not closer. I'd sell you the 3.4 out of my boxster. It has 277hp at the wheels but it's not enough for me. Sure at first it's fun, until a modern camry almost makes a fool of you. The M96 just isn't a power house no matter what you do to it. I can't remember anyone breaking the 450hp mark with a m96/m97. Maybe turbo'd, but they never seem to live a long life with a turbo on them. If you want real power you have to break the rules.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:55 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

If you're going to keep the car... I'd go with BYProdriver's motor.

Yup.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
If you're going to keep the car... I'd go with BYProdriver's motor.

Yup.
It's 3.6 liter, with all the goodies. Basically a Raby engine. He wants $15k for it. All in, including shipping, duties, and installation, you're looking at $20k. I don't know what you should do, 400 hp does require that something be done about the transmission, and the rest of the drivetrain. Fire breathing monsters DO require heavier duty components.:troll:
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by violametallic-S- View Post
I want more power. I want a Porsche engine and I dont want to spend more than $10K USD. Id maybe spend the $20k USD if that means 450hp all motor. But thats wishful thinking...
If wishes were fishes.... well, you know the rest.

$10k won't get you there.

Others have mentioned byprovider's motor for sale. That's probably a great idea, since the build is documented and he knows what he's doing. But $15k is still a chunk ig change. He'll probably be unhappy for me suggesting this, but you might consider offering him something less than that, and see what he says. He's been trying to sell it for a long time, maybe he's motivated? Cash talks.

For my money, you have to be really, really attached to a car to spend $15k (it'll be more, trust me) on a car worth $12k. I've been there (hell, I'm in the same boat on my 986 even) but you have to be realistic: that money is gone, from an investment perspective. You'll never get it back out of the car.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:37 AM   #8

Garage
How mechanical are you? I see you got it to that point. Mine looked exactly the same. I sent the block halves to L&N to sleeve It's about $4500 and 2 months. You can reassemble with $1000 in special tools. Parts seal kit from Ebay $300 and a service manual PDF. I have a 99-02 copy you can have. Rod bearings are about $100 a set. Piston rings, Pistons, wrist pins come in L&N package. $45 Harbor freight engine stand, and a $119 jack-table, $100 for a jack and jack stands, which I'm guessing you already have since the motor is out.

I neglected to say you may a tune $1000 to 1500. There are several dozen folks on here that have done this with good results my self included.
Good Luck
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 03-28-2020 at 07:46 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
How mechanical are you? I see you got it to that point. Mine looked exactly the same. I sent the block halves to L&N to sleeve It's about $4500 and 2 months. You can reassemble with $1000 in special tools. Parts seal kit from Ebay $300 and a service manual PDF. I have a 99-02 copy you can have. Rod bearings are about $100 a set. Piston rings, Pistons, wrist pins come in L&N package. $45 Harbor freight engine stand, and a $119 jack-table, $100 for a jack and jack stands, which I'm guessing you already have since the motor is out.

I neglected to say you may a tune $1000 to 1500. There are several dozen folks on here that have done this with good results my self included.
Good Luck
Now you're talking. I didn't realize raby would do that? I thought he was an "all or nothing". If this is an option, I'd go that way!

Old 03-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Now you're talking. I didn't realize raby would do that? I thought he was an "all or nothing". If this is an option, I'd go that way!

It's still listed on L&N web page check into it. Mine was done in 2012. I pulled it in 2014 and added the carillo rods and 06 heads. I found tracking the engine over revved very quickly and I wanted the extra weight reduction plus strength the rods offered. The heads were all but new from a wrecked 06 8000 miles. $750 each. Much cheaper than a head job. I apologize the new web price is $5095
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 03-28-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #11

Garage
Tricky..

My 5 cents: Don't look at the Business Case, just pay and have fun! Life isnīt endless!

I have most likely spent at least 10k extra on my car now if I would dare to count it, but hey, Iīm having a lot of fun!
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Tricky..

My 5 cents: Don't look at the Business Case, just pay and have fun! Life isnīt endless!

I have most likely spent at least 10k extra on my car now if I would dare to count it, but hey, Iīm having a lot of fun!
Agreed, I'm fairly sure I have spent over $30K but the car on track is such a rush. If I were to start over today it would probably be $40K.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #13

maybe just look for a used LOW mileage replacement engine
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Jsceash, Viola (welcome back..!)

Back in 2017, I was planning to go that route, and got a rough estimate of about $11-$12k, including the Ti con-rods, the Hoffman heads, ARP fasteners, etc. I even attended the Raby engine rebuilt class.

Unfortunately a lady ran a red light in front of my office and totaled my CS...

But, I would have ended with a hell of an engine.. at almost 1/2 the cost of a Raby build engine..

PS, still have the quote from LN and Hoffman if you want it
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
and a 200 shot of nitrous

but that might be the best business minded solution. Find a cheapo engine (2.5, 2.7, 3.2 whatever) slap it in sell the car and use that money to try to recoup your losses.

Sometimes its easier to sell a runner than a roller regardless of the engine.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:21 AM   #16

If you are just looking at ROI then throwing any major money at these cars doesn't add up . But if you are an enthusiest and can enjoy the great attributes these cars provide then the $$$ doesn't count ............. within reason of course . I have a Raby built 3.6 litre short stroke R51 engine in mine , last tuning session we put down 282 at the wheels that's pretty damn stout ! Torque is over 253 and it's not just about top numbers , the hp and torque are very linear it pulls strongly from idle to 7k with ease . It totally transforms the chassis with the extra grunt , it is so driveable . Driving in the mountains is a hoot and drifting the rear end at will is intoxicating .

But I have 25K in that motor , most people say I'm nuts and it's hard to argue . But every time I drive her it puts a smile on my face I am never disappointed . And it is well behaved , starts great hot/cold and idles great . Good MPG if you can keep your foot out of it . In my opinion I have the perfect sleeper .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:52 PM   #17

Mine's not a Raby engine but it is a 3.2 rebuilt as a 3.6 with LN Nickies. Since I have 2003 with a 3 chain motor, BYProdriver's engine wouldn't work for me. If it would have, I could have saved a lot of money, and TIME. Since you have a 2001 which is a 5 chain engine his will work in your car. If you want more power and want to be back on the road quickly, you should get in touch with him. His engine is ready to go and looks like a quality build.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #18
Who's askin'?

I've been salivating over an '03 996 3.6L X51.
Any reason that wouldn't fit in my '03 boxster S?

Old 03-31-2020, 07:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I've been salivating over an '03 996 3.6L X51.
Any reason that wouldn't fit in my '03 boxster S?

Why limit yourself when you can have a 3.8. I believe both could be made to work easily in a 2003+ boxster
Old 04-01-2020, 05:55 AM   #20
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Why limit yourself when you can have a 3.8. I believe both could be made to work easily in a 2003+ boxster
Well the part of a swap that scares me the most is the electronics. That's where I'm weakest. It occurs to me that an '03 3.6L might "talk" to my DME better than an much later 3.8L. ?? waddya know?

(by the way, I sent you a PM about the previous topic)

Last edited by maytag; 04-01-2020 at 05:59 AM.