Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #21
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Oh, you have no idea .....
Wait till piper and starter986 show up. That'll send some of the rest of us running for the hills. HAHA
Just got home... picked up a nice front spoiler lip out in Rancho Cucamonga. Some light sanding... primer... gloss black... clear... it's going to look boss.

I'd chime in, to live up to your expectations... but it's 523P, Pacific. So... it long after 4A when I'm at my best.

Have a great evening, Maytag!

Old 01-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #22
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Just got home... picked up a nice front spoiler lip out in Rancho Cucamonga. Some light sanding... primer... gloss black... clear... it's going to look boss.

I'd chime in, to live up to your expectations... but it's 523P, Pacific. So... it long after 4A when I'm at my best.

Have a great evening, Maytag!
Ha! Right back acha!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #23

Sorry Partical Wave D ICK I guess I will join alot of people and just not participate.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #24

I've never personally drivin an S, but I just don't see 50hp(?) being that big of a difference. I know bigger brakes and 6 speed all seem appealing, but not for the price tag associated with it.

I can say that the tiptronic is a very aggravating trans. Its like you slam the peddle down and the thing has to make up its mind whether or not it wants to downshift. Then when it has made up its mind (time to go fast) it doesn't want to act like a daily driver; it just wants to stay at high rpm.

Maybe I just don't see eye to eye with the tip and others do?

I can say I looked into a 5 speed swap before I got my current car and it looked like an expensive and labor intensive swap. So I just ignored all tip cars I saw for sale. Can't really comment on the difficulty of the swap because I never tried it.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #25

You received some good advice from members who know what they are talking about

I've spent time on repairs, upgrades and maintenance over the years, but the only way I think I could make a project Boxster driveable is to enlist the help of: https://garagesquad.tv/submission-form/

I could see it now. I'd have the shell of a Boxster on one side of my garage and a pallet with an engine on the other. Then a miracle would occur and I'd be driving the car out of my garage to the cheers of my friends and family.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
What is your recommendation to achieve the best possible performing, working Boxster for the money
Both options are feasible and okay imo, if you can manage it and have the passion. Although and as others confirmed; its all about money(and tax lol) those pcars lets be realistic on that front. RE the automatic-to-manual conversion idea, let me try to influence your decision and see if I can save you $4k in parts and $40k in time. Meet the Tipflippy:

ps: About the "best possible performing..." question well that's the easy and cheap; just squeeze your lips really really tight together and exhale at high velocity. With a bit of practice you'll end up mimicking the sound of an F1 car all in sync with those paddles' clicks wroom wroom!
Old 01-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
Sorry Partical Wave D ICK I guess I will join alot of people and just not participate.
Don't let anyone shut you out, nicecar. We welcome ALL input. Everyone's experience is different and everyone is welcome to share it.

Maytag, nice sage advice in post #6, BTW.

Last edited by piper6909; 01-17-2020 at 05:47 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #28
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Are you sure he wasn't just playin' witch'ya? 'cuz to me, lookin' in at the post, I chuckled and thought he was having some fun with ya. I didn;t think he was being rude.
But I dunno... maybe y'all have some "history" that makes you feel otherwise.

I think of PW as one of the good guys... that may influence how I read his posts.

as opposed to the way I read posts from Piper.... HAHAHAHA. (Just kiddin' dood.... )
Old 01-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #29

Thanks Piper and by the way...

Thanks Piper . BTW I knew Woody was talking about engine swap in reference to buying an S I still say buy the S because more is better.LOL I said an average 2000 a year which is not even 200 a month.....Really Partical ? Do you drive or just post endlessly? Tires, My S burns thru them. My car is driven HARD almost daily. I guess if it sat on jack stands for weeks at a time in somewhere in Wash. 2000 maybe. Average over 10 yr of ownership and 138,000 miles. My car is near perfect and 19yrs old. I have never heard an S owner wish they bought a base. I wonder what model partical has? Since when is 50bhp not substantial? Guys are happy with 10 from an exhaust swap. WTF?
Old 01-17-2020, 06:11 PM   #30

White Car!

God I just noticed paticals car is white like my neighbors wives Porsche..Big time girl color....oh no offense just joking because I am full of s hit. Probably got a cat that sleeps on it too.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks Piper . BTW I knew Woody was talking about engine swap in reference to buying an S I still say buy the S because more is better.LOL I said an average 2000 a year which is not even 200 a month.....Really Partical ? Do you drive or just post endlessly? Tires, My S burns thru them. My car is driven HARD almost daily. I guess if it sat on jack stands for weeks at a time in somewhere in Wash. 2000 maybe. Average over 10 yr of ownership and 138,000 miles. My car is near perfect and 19yrs old. I have never heard an S owner wish they bought a base. I wonder what model partical has? Since when is 50bhp not substantial? Guys are happy with 10 from an exhaust swap. WTF?
Yeah, I get it. I have a base and often wonder about an S. I don't know from experience if you can actually tell the difference or if it's psychosomatic. But the fact is that all things being the same, an S will still fetch more money than a base. There's a reason for that.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #32

Hey, I’m looking at a white Boxster
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #33

But thanks again for everyone commenting here. I appreciate it, and even the side comments not directly related to my OP I appreciate because it is funny and there is still stuff to learn from it :P

See you guys on the track soon
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
But thanks again for everyone commenting here. I appreciate it, and even the side comments not directly related to my OP I appreciate because it is funny and there is still stuff to learn from it :P

See you guys on the track soon
Best wishes, Russdawg! Just remember what others have hinted: If you want a manual S, don't buy a Tiptronic Base. Can you put a 3.2 with manual in a tipronic base? Sure you can. But there's a hell of a lot more parts you'll need to get in addition to the engine and tranny. Just find a boxter S that needs work.

Keep us posted, whatever you decide to do!

Last edited by piper6909; 01-17-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #35

Quote:

25% isn't worth it to me. That might be arguable, but to me its not worth it.

I doubt you're gonna get a real power difference out of an exhaust swap if you retain the cats. You MIGHT move the power band around a bit if you change your exhaust up.

$2000/year... a bit high, but by no means low. I'd say $1000/year. First year preventative maintenance is gonna be the killer year, but after that it should tapper down. I mean struts alone cost $800 for all four corners; that's a must for me on a new to me used car purchase.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #36

according to the expert there is no difference btwn the 2,IF the base is great and the S is not cared for(apples to oranges dumbass) . Sooooo . Porsche made the S for no diff btwn the 2 and 2000 dollars is good for 10 yrs ownership AND when comparing a base to an S the base has to be running great an the S not!! Like I said D ICK ! IMO I did not know there is nice and not nice people on here however, PW post was not nice. I think he has helped me many times but not the case here. In the age of Trump I decided to fight back and I like it! F uck WHO WOULD NOT WANT AN S! WHO SPENDS ONLY 2K IN 10 YRS OF PORSCHE OWNERSHIP? Ok now I am off to cancel my therapy session for the week and get ready for 4...yes 4 days at the world famous Daytona speedway for the Rolex 24 and be around some real Porsches. Thats a joke, dont want to upset the King S hit of F Uck Mountain Partical Wave
Old 01-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #37
Who's askin'?

Quote:
according to the expert there is no difference btwn the 2,IF the base is great and the S is not cared for(apples to oranges dumbass) . Sooooo . Porsche made the S for no diff btwn the 2 and 2000 dollars is good for 10 yrs ownership AND when comparing a base to an S the base has to be running great an the S not!! Like I said D ICK ! IMO I did not know there is nice and not nice people on here however, PW post was not nice. I think he has helped me many times but not the case here. In the age of Trump I decided to fight back and I like it! F uck WHO WOULD NOT WANT AN S! WHO SPENDS ONLY 2K IN 10 YRS OF PORSCHE OWNERSHIP? Ok now I am off to cancel my therapy session for the week and get ready for 4...yes 4 days at the world famous Daytona speedway for the Rolex 24 and be around some real Porsches. Thats a joke, dont want to upset the King S hit of F Uck Mountain Partical Wave
Let me paraphrase?

;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #38

I know the power diff. in exhaust because I just did cat back using suggestions from here. Was looking for mare sound but was surprised of the extra pep in the step. Noticed more with just a muffler swap. Brombacher sound version
Old 01-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #39

maytag I believe you also think that these cars dont cost any more to maintain than other cars as well. Well you are both wrong. Truth be told if you are watching dollars get another car! AND if I had a dollar for every post you were getting into it with someone I would buy another car. You seem to always be ass kissing someone on here and being an inflammatory F uck. How bout that for paraphrasing.I will tell you who was nice Pedro, is he on here anymore ? NO... because of you guys. I know because I asked him. I said before I should just stay off here But I for one am sick of you full time motor heads telling normal shmoes like me, that have a life ,that these cars are affordable to own especially if you wrench. You and Particle are FULL OF CRAP with way to many posts about an old car. Now I am out an off to drive one of my seven cars which I am sure I dont know how to maintain or the cost to do so. How much do all your f ucking tools cost D ICK. How much for a good torque wrench know it all?
Old 01-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #40
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
... How much for a good torque wrench know it all?
What makes it 'good'? How often should we calibrate them? Should I use a Stahlwille on my 46,000 mile '04 S SE and just use a HF $9.99 special on the 184,000 mile '97?

From testing and reviews I've seen, I'm happy to use the HF wrenches for a while, then just throw them away and get a new one rather than calibrate.

Last edited by 78F350; 01-17-2020 at 09:03 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote