Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #1

Unhappy High pitch tone from both front wheel area

Hello all ~

I've got a 1999 986 w/5 speed and 119000 miles effortlessly. Today, I noticed a whiff of brakes while driving. I started home and noticed when I push in the clutch at a stop, the car does not do its tiny gentle roll backward that all manuals will do when feathering before takeoff. Ok...parking brake or just brakes in general, right? No problem.

One block from home doing 25mph the check engine light starts flashing and it goes into what can be described as a 'limp home' mode. I gently limp along nearly home and then the CEL goes on full time. Another 100 yards and full-stop, total shutdown. Car will not restart. So, I call a tow truck. 5 minutes later, I make one last attempt. Car starts right up. No CEL. I finish the trip home. In the garage, it smells like hell! Brakes, big time! But here's my question....there's a dull, high pitch tone coming from both front wheel arches. What might you guess the tone is?

wsmcdowall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
Will there be cake?

Garage
would need a little more information, but wheel bearings don't go out together, nor trigger a CEL. Cant understand the brakes triggering CEL either, unless something with the anti-locks is amiss?

Important to recognize, a flashing CEL can mean the imminent danger of damage, serious issue. Lets hope nothing happened, but there should be some history in the computer. At the least, dont drive it until you read codes.

Did you service the brakes recently? do you have a durametric or anything else you can read OBD2 codes with?

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes , high pitched squeal , parking