Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 04:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
That's cool. I like doing body work and I'm pretty good with metal. I took a year of autobody in high school and I've been doing it as a hobby for the last 30 years. It's really not that hard and kind of fun. I'd rather paint a car than have to rebuild the motor. I rarely flip porsches as there's more money in the parts. I bought this one with very similar damage as yours. It had more damage in the front but less on the side/top. I took it from this

To this in 3 hours.

I sold it to a friend's 18 year old son and they finished the painting to this.

A year later and now it looks like this
That was great work you did until they decided to punish that poor 986 once again!
Thanks for the inspiration and i'm now committed 100% to rebuilding it. This car was a real challenge to get so I don't want to give up on it.

I bought it from a Copart auction in Long Island, had it shipped to Niagara Falls NY. Someone stole the key so I had to tow it to the dealer, get a new key made, then rented a Uhaul and exported it into Canada.

I figure after doing all that, it would be a total let down to part it out. I have seen some of these go for 15-20K here with similar mileage and condition (pre-accident of course) so I am no where near that in costs so far.

9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Just to note: Woody knows a lot more about this stuff than I ever will and I value his advice above mine. The thing about it is that in a case like this, he could spend an hour with a slide hammer and make more progress than I could in a week. He may not realize that not all of us have his skills.

Email replied with 5 attachments.
Agreed. Too bad I am nowhere near Texas! If I could do it myself I would but going to search for an experienced bodyman to do the job. Looks like I am all in now. I even plan on changing the bumper cover to the GT3.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #23

Part needed

I had the owner of a shop come out today to see the car and he said it's very doable but said I need to replace the front piece which is #1 in the diagram. I have found entire front clips available but he said its not needed.

Currently looking for part #1 if anyone knows where I can get one or has it please let me know

I called the dealer and I can get it new as well and has to be ordered from Germany so that's my last resort.