Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2019, 05:52 AM   #21

Fred! Welcome back and Happy New Year! You will be one of first on the forum to ring it in, eh?

I'm glad to see that the car is running and you are being ordered to drive it. There are a lot questions on here from folks asking about all you're great products, so I hope it isn't too overwhelming.

All the best!

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
Happy New Year Fred! Don’t be a stranger.
Van!!! wow, literally, everybody is still here. Unbelievable. Happy New Year Van, best wishes old friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
Fred! Welcome back and Happy New Year! You will be one of first on the forum to ring it in, eh?

I'm glad to see that the car is running and you are being ordered to drive it. There are a lot questions on here from folks asking about all you're great products, so I hope it isn't too overwhelming.

All the best!
Troy!!! its you, not Rick3000 (my bad). It's you who've gone great borders and countries with his Boxster to work for the army. I remember now (must have been Rick's black on black car pic). Troy, caught those alien invaders yet? I see them all the time roaming above China, its annoying (Happy New Year to you too, Troy!)

No worries on the questions or support side for those parts. Always said they would be serviced for life and I kept a whole lot of spare parts of "everything" I've done to support that statement. Got xenons, ballasts, 2.5" reflectors and actuators, tons of porsche crests for the center caps, the caps themselves, their hub adapters, got a dozen of those skybreaker coated blank panels, the mounting heatsink + their LED strips in all colors, the PWM drivers, wires, connectors, I-Literally-Have-Spare-Everything!!!

So yea, hit me up if you are in trouble with any of my stuff, spare parts are FREE, just dosh in the shipping cost via paypal and we are good.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 12-29-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #23

Welcome back, Fred.

Wish you a good start into the roaring twenties… and good health… and don't be slave of your own business (i know how that feels).

Regards from Germany,
Markus
Old 12-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #24

Fred, awesome to see you back! I still love those headlights of yours in my '01.

Moving back to Canada any time or is it China forever...
Old 12-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Welcome back, Fred.

Wish you a good start into the roaring twenties… and good health… and don't be slave of your own business (i know how that feels).

Regards from Germany,
Markus
Yo Markus! Man some serious good memory falshbacks going on right now Thanks for all the wishes and I sincerely hope the very same for yourself and your business. Health first, paramount importance.

ps. Not my company anymore, technically. Sold-it all to my wife for $1 back in Feb'19 and tossed out all that Hong Kong rep office registration BS. Easier on the paper work and tax for a Chinese national, which she is (I'm still on a Canadian passport). I am therefore and officially 'her employee' (lol), her cook, her part-time lovar, her private driver, gardener, handy man and all that good stuff. Hence the "slave" theme

Good to have you around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Fred, awesome to see you back! I still love those headlights of yours in my '01.

Moving back to Canada any time or is it China forever...
Oh cool, nice feedback, thanks man. Yep still got those same as yours in my Boxster and not getting tired of them!
RE Moving back; not sure if you remember when we've told everyone (bragged ab it here too, I think) that we've bought a small house in B.C. back in 2017 and we were aiming at moving out of China in 2020? Well, we sold that house this year and re-invested that cash locally here in China. So all-in-all, plans have changed recently, for the best we think, so we might have to re-schedule that retirement plan and push it a good 10 years (minimum 5 years for sure).

All good, life's okay here recently with lots of changes for the better (I think). I'm done complaining (other than for those crazy wicked traffic jams lol).
Happy New Year to you, Norman!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 12-29-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #26
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Welcome back Fred! It's good to see that you are well and keeping busy. ...but maybe too busy. Do make time to drive that beautiful car and keep a shine on it. It will keep your mind young.
I'm curious; are there some good twisty roads that you can get to from there or is it all traffic, traffic, and more traffic?
Old 12-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Welcome back Fred! It's good to see that you are well and keeping busy. ...but maybe too busy. Do make time to drive that beautiful car and keep a shine on it. It will keep your mind young.
I'm curious; are there some good twisty roads that you can get to from there or is it all traffic, traffic, and more traffic?
!!!
Thanks man, good to see you too! Busy is good, stress part is bad though. Got all Sundays off so we're cool I think

No twisties anywhere in or around Shanghai, traffic jams after f n traffic jams. Or if no traffic then you are presented with 65,433 CCTV cameras every mile with big brother looking up for your so called 'safety' (and wallet). Tight speed limits in-city feels more or less like driving in a school zone back in the states or Canada. Other than that we need to drive a good 1.5hr out of town to hit some half-decent and fun twisty roads, some really good places (no cams). The outta town express ways are killer around here though... some of them with as much 6 lanes wide and paved with some magical re-enforced concrete... smooth as silk and goes on forever (read supercar paradise).

Last edited by Nine8Six; 12-29-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #28

Garage
Good to see you are well Fred, you need to stop by a little more frequently to at least let us know you are ok, ok?! I’m still waiting for your new head unit! I hope you have a great new year!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Good to see you are well Fred, you need to stop by a little more frequently to at least let us know you are ok, ok?! I’m still waiting for your new head unit! I hope you have a great new year!
Captain!!! Looked up your account yesterday and seen you've left a few posts, was quite happy to see that you are still around. Still flying commercial jets around this world? Others too, maybe? ;-) And sure, I'll stick around although asking questions more than anything, let's see. Let me get that red Boxster back on the street in a week first!

Hope all is going well for you and the family, Bruce. Glad to hear from you. Wish you an Happy New Year!
Old 12-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Captain!!! Looked up your account yesterday and seen you've left a few posts, was quite happy to see that you are still around. Still flying commercial jets around this world? Others too, maybe? ;-) And sure, I'll stick around although asking questions more than anything, let's see. Let me get that red Boxster back on the street in a week first!

Hope all is going well for you and the family, Bruce. Glad to hear from you. Wish you an Happy New Year!
Yep, just got home today from Frankfurt. The closest I get to you is Hong Kong about once or twice a month, at least this time of year while it isn’t too hot and humid there! All is well here but the Boxster needs a new coolant expansion tank, I think I’ll let the shop do that one
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #31

eww :/ yep good call on that one. That coolant exp tank replacement is one nasty job if memory serves, so I heard/read anyway. Good to hear you still fly!
Old 12-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #32

Garage
Fred, Glad to hear you are OK. Happy New Year. All the stuff I have bought from you is still working great. A testament to quality manufacturing and design.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Fred, Glad to hear you are OK. Happy New Year. All the stuff I have bought from you is still working great. A testament to quality manufacturing and design.
Happy New Year friend, so cool to see you here too man!!!

I'll be honest, Sunday morning when I woke up and dared to open the 986forum I told myself before "folks from old days must have all moved on...". Did I got that part wrong :/ Crazy stuff... surprise surprise!
Old 12-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #34

welcome back man. ever get back to canada? just spent xmas in qc; food, beer, and women can't be as good in china ...
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:24 PM   #35

Fred! Stick around! We miss your camaraderie - this is a better forum when you are here.

Rick
Old 12-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
welcome back man. ever get back to canada? just spent xmas in qc; food, beer, and women can't be as good in china ...
Went back to sign papers last June, 2 days in/out and that was it lol Problem going back is 20hrs flight/tickets (X2 ppl), jetlag, car rental, and so many other things like entry visa (for Mrs Nine8six). Cost like $4~5k each time too :/ So we try to head back to Canada when we, like, really need too only lol

Won't debate on the women, but... ... oriental women are, well, you know ;-) Good to see you around TRK!!! HNY and wishing you all the best for 2020 bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Fred! Stick around! We miss your camaraderie - this is a better forum when you are here.

Rick
I will. Good news is I'm be putting back the Boxster in-service for 2020, Rick. Might drop-by regularly to ask questions or just to annoy a bit haha Good to see you here, Happy New year and best wishes for 2020!
Old 12-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #37
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
Beer probably. The rest I'd have to say not even close lol.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #38

Wow...first off Happy New Year. I have read and heard great things about you. Glad to see you are back and hopefully able to stay for awhile. Your contributions are discussed quite a bit among 986ers. So from a newbie...thank you. Hope you can provide some cool new projects.

-Richard.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflores2323 View Post
...Hope you can provide some cool new projects.
Thanks for the kind wishes, Richard. Same goes to you and your love ones, HNY2020!!!
I'll see if I can pull-off a few new ideas, hopefully with your help and the others. Dying too trust me on that, can't lie

ps. seen your projector's post earlier too. I took yesterday's time off to re-model the bezel (same, just newer CAD data/software) and added a snap-ring for the lens (internal feature). Nothing too fancy but sort of making them more reliable and hopefully more affordable to manufacture. Still trying to figure out who/when/where can we cnc those parts though :/ I swear I already have that bad feeling its going to me lol

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-01-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #40

Welcome back sir. If you ever decide to make more of those lighted rear windscreen I f probably be interested in one of those. What ever happened to the replacement radio project

MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote