Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #1

Garage
Freshly rebuilt Vertex Long Blocks

Bought a long block for my 2000 2.7 last weekend from a private party. I didn’t really need a motor since the original has only 93k and runs great. But I did need a water pump and the estimates to replace were nearly $1000 and the new long block was $2500 with a new water pump, IMS and RMS upgrades. So I took the motor to a well respected Porsche shop in San Rafael. The install is scheduled in a few weeks. But when I dropped it off, one of the shop guys said they had bad luck with a Vertex motor in the past few years. I was a bit shocked, since I had heard positive reviews on them. I even spoke with the Vertex shop in Florida and they were great. Generous with their time and information shared. But now I am worried. I understand the shop doing the install has an engine room, where they can test a motor out of the car. Anyone have any idea what that costs to do? It might be smart since I am not so certain about this “new” motor anymore.

Also, anyone with experience with Vertex? I should have posted this question before I bought the motor.

sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
Bought a long block for my 2000 2.7 last weekend from a private party. I didn’t really need a motor since the original has only 93k and runs great. But I did need a water pump and the estimates to replace were nearly $1000 and the new long block was $2500 with a new water pump, IMS and RMS upgrades. So I took the motor to a well respected Porsche shop in San Rafael. The install is scheduled in a few weeks. But when I dropped it off, one of the shop guys said they had bad luck with a Vertex motor in the past few years. I was a bit shocked, since I had heard positive reviews on them. I even spoke with the Vertex shop in Florida and they were great. Generous with their time and information shared. But now I am worried. I understand the shop doing the install has an engine room, where they can test a motor out of the car. Anyone have any idea what that costs to do? It might be smart since I am not so certain about this “new” motor anymore.

Also, anyone with experience with Vertex? I should have posted this question before I bought the motor.
Would you be interested in selling your old motor? If it fits my 2002 I'd be interested in buying it as a spare.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #3

I have " heard " from a few folks that Vertex is on the shady side but I have no first hand experience . Like any negative feedback you have to take it with a grain of salt as it " may " just be some pissy people . But it would be a shame if their rebuilds were of shoddy workmanship . Good luck with it .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Would you be interested in selling your old motor? If it fits my 2002 I'd be interested in buying it as a spare.
Yes, the plan is to sell the original motor. It’s on Craigslist now.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/d/san-francisco-porsche-boxster-long/6898001550.html
Old 06-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:

$1,000 to replace the water pump? Dude, you need to learn how to turn wrenches and do easy stuff like this on your own. Plus you're selling an engine that recently had the IMSB replaced with a LN Engineering IMSB?

Last edited by KRAM36; 06-02-2019 at 07:16 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/d/san-francisco-porsche-boxster-long/6898001550.html
I'm interested. Do you know what happened to the water pump? How's the impeller?
Old 06-03-2019, 03:07 AM   #7

Garage
I recently bought a clutch disk from Vertex. They shipped the wrong model but when I called they immediately accepted their error and express shipped the correct part. Anyone can make an error and I was happy with how their customer service resolved it.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
$1,000 to replace the water pump? Dude, you need to learn how to turn wrenches and do easy stuff like this on your own. Plus you're selling an engine that recently had the IMSB replaced with a LN Engineering IMSB?
Exactly. Every time I turn a wrench I'm saving $125-$150 an hour shop rate. Granted, doing things the first time (WP... AOS... MM...) it likely takes me twice as much time as a shop so, when for the first time I've completed the maintenance, repair, replacement of a part... I divide the number of hours by two... multiplied by ~shop rate... and spend that money elsewhere.

I saved THOUSANDS... THOUSANDS of dollars doing my own repairs/maintenance... and wouldn't have done so absent the huge brain trust of this forum.

:dance:
Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Exactly. Every time I turn a wrench I'm saving $125-$150 an hour shop rate. Granted, doing things the first time (WP... AOS... MM...) it likely takes me twice as much time as a shop so, when for the first time I've completed the maintenance, repair, replacement of a part... I divide the number of hours by two... multiplied by ~shop rate... and spend that money elsewhere.

I saved THOUSANDS... THOUSANDS of dollars doing my own repairs/maintenance... and wouldn't have done so absent the huge brain trust of this forum.

Let me chime in on doing your own maintenance. I am NOT a motor head, however several years ago I did a total rebuild on my 66 912. Started 15 minute after the last bolt went in. Fast forward, last year my 99 base Boxster motor quit. I bought a new motor and priced a shop install. After quotes from $6-10K, I decided to take the plunge. Used many references, took my time and did it myself with the assistance of a few friends for the heavy lifting. Now I feel I am intimate with my motor and understand its moods. It was rewarding do the job. Lastly, I am not sad that I did not fund some mechanics kids college education.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:

That's a good deal, maybe even great. A running engine for the price of an IMSB. BTW, it will fit 00 thru 02 Boxsters with only minor variations (wiring.)
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post

Some people have an income (not me!) that is sufficient that it's not worth it to do mechanical work (or plumbing, carpentry, wiring, etc.) It costs more to not be working than it does to hire someone.:ah:
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
WALDMEISTER

Garage
hmm...well, if people consider selling their car again...a service book as i trustworthy currency, the good word of an unknown DIYer not so much. Plus a Service book (dealership services) makes me feel safer somehow. I don't trust my DIY capabilities 100%...lol.
I ALWAYS take TOTAL COSTS into consideration (costs for all materials PLUS all tools/machines PLUS labor cost (of yourself) PLUS cost for learning PLUS costs for getting it done by a professional in the end because you screwed something up...AND AND AND)...and then it might not seem to be such a waste of money to get my car serviced every other year. Bigger repairs on the car...after 20 years = ZERO. Knocking on Wood.

JUST SAYIN'

Last edited by BRAN; 06-03-2019 at 09:16 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #13

Garage
Well, I am 66. I have had a lifetime of DIY, keeping ratty European cars and motorcycles running. I wired my entire home a few years ago. A piece of cake compared to maintaining wiring on old MG’s and Alfa’s. I pay for car work now, keeping my knuckles intact and fingernails clean.

But I am getting worried about this Vertex motor I bought. There is no warranty on it since I bought it from a private party. And as below, I keep hearing about issues with Vertex products. If there is something wrong, it’s on me. And it’ll cost me another $2500 to reinstall my old motor. I might retreat. Keep the Vertex motor for when I really need it. Just fix the water pump in the current engine.... if that engine fails, I’ll throw dice and have them install the Vertex motor...... I think....
Old 06-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
Artist, 986S tinkerer

There’s car work and there’s car work. I won’t lift a finger to fix my Kia, but I’ve just finished installing an engine and transmission in my Boxster. I’m no mechanic but I’ve always had the attitude: how hard can it be?
Today, with the internet and YouTube covering every imaginable scenario, as well as this fantastic forum, it’s hard for me to justify paying someone else when I can have a great learning experience!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #15
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Some people have an income (not me!) that is sufficient that it's not worth it to do mechanical work (or plumbing, carpentry, wiring, etc.) It costs more to not be working than it does to hire someone.:ah:
Oh, I hear you. I'm self employed... so when business is good, the wrenching is reserved for weekends. When business is slow... nothing like some weekday wrenching. It's a hobby for me and, like Art said, "How hard can it be".

Further, if you get to a point where you're over your head... or something isn't working in your favor... flat-bed it.

Flouese... awesome! I, too, would be inspired to install my own motor for those kind of dollars.

Cheers!
Old 06-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
That's a good deal, maybe even great. A running engine for the price of an IMSB. BTW, it will fit 00 thru 02 Boxsters with only minor variations (wiring.)
It would be a good deal if the impeller didn't disintegrate and bits went into the motor. We don't know that yet.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
It would be a good deal if the impeller didn't disintegrate and bits went into the motor. We don't know that yet.
Sorry, just got back to this. Question; could the impeller have “disintegrated” if the car still runs normally, no coolant leaks, no temperature changes? Just a rattling noise?

Btw I lowered the price to $1000 last week. Not a single response. Man, the Boxster market has gone belly up.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/d/san-francisco-porsche-boxster-long/6909126560.html

Last edited by sfkjeld; 06-10-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #18

There is a thread on Rennlist 996 about the Vertex and other available long blocks right now. The M96 rebuilds from Vertex are shorted on some key things compared to their competitors, but at a discounted price. Take a look a decide for yourself.
quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #19

sfkjeld, I just PM'd you.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #20

Garage
Engine in....

Picked up my 986 last week with the “new” $2000 Vertex motor freshly installed. The cost to install at a high end Porsche shop in Marin? $4600! Minus $2000 they gave me for my old engine. The Vertex engine had been sitting on a pallet in a garage for 3-4 years, so I expected issues. The shop installed some stuff I wasn’t too sure about. A clutch disc when the current one had <10k mi on it. MAF, oxygen sensors to make the new engine run right, when the old engine ran beautifully. Also a few oil leaks, probably related to dried seals.

But the new engine sounds wonderful. Smooth and quiet.

There was a new clacking sound coming from the back, audible when I drove over rough road at low speed. Had them check it out and the diagnosis was bushings in the suspension that might have been tweaked when the old engine was pulled out. I haven’t heard the price to correct, but was warned by the shop, it would be expensive. Hah, what isn’t? He also said it was common on 986s at 100k.