Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 92
Freshly rebuilt Vertex Long Blocks

Bought a long block for my 2000 2.7 last weekend from a private party. I didnít really need a motor since the original has only 93k and runs great. But I did need a water pump and the estimates to replace were nearly $1000 and the new long block was $2500 with a new water pump, IMS and RMS upgrades. So I took the motor to a well respected Porsche shop in San Rafael. The install is scheduled in a few weeks. But when I dropped it off, one of the shop guys said they had bad luck with a Vertex motor in the past few years. I was a bit shocked, since I had heard positive reviews on them. I even spoke with the Vertex shop in Florida and they were great. Generous with their time and information shared. But now I am worried. I understand the shop doing the install has an engine room, where they can test a motor out of the car. Anyone have any idea what that costs to do? It might be smart since I am not so certain about this ďnewĒ motor anymore.

Also, anyone with experience with Vertex? I should have posted this question before I bought the motor.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
Bought a long block for my 2000 2.7 last weekend from a private party. I didnít really need a motor since the original has only 93k and runs great. But I did need a water pump and the estimates to replace were nearly $1000 and the new long block was $2500 with a new water pump, IMS and RMS upgrades. So I took the motor to a well respected Porsche shop in San Rafael. The install is scheduled in a few weeks. But when I dropped it off, one of the shop guys said they had bad luck with a Vertex motor in the past few years. I was a bit shocked, since I had heard positive reviews on them. I even spoke with the Vertex shop in Florida and they were great. Generous with their time and information shared. But now I am worried. I understand the shop doing the install has an engine room, where they can test a motor out of the car. Anyone have any idea what that costs to do? It might be smart since I am not so certain about this ďnewĒ motor anymore.

Also, anyone with experience with Vertex? I should have posted this question before I bought the motor.
Would you be interested in selling your old motor? If it fits my 2002 I'd be interested in buying it as a spare.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 1,035
I have " heard " from a few folks that Vertex is on the shady side but I have no first hand experience . Like any negative feedback you have to take it with a grain of salt as it " may " just be some pissy people . But it would be a shame if their rebuilds were of shoddy workmanship . Good luck with it .
__________________
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution.
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Would you be interested in selling your old motor? If it fits my 2002 I'd be interested in buying it as a spare.
Yes, the plan is to sell the original motor. Itís on Craigslist now.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/d/san-francisco-porsche-boxster-long/6898001550.html
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,059
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
Bought a long block for my 2000 2.7 last weekend from a private party. I didn’t really need a motor since the original has only 93k and runs great. But I did need a water pump and the estimates to replace were nearly $1000 and the new long block was $2500 with a new water pump, IMS and RMS upgrades. So I took the motor to a well respected Porsche shop in San Rafael. The install is scheduled in a few weeks. But when I dropped it off, one of the shop guys said they had bad luck with a Vertex motor in the past few years. I was a bit shocked, since I had heard positive reviews on them. I even spoke with the Vertex shop in Florida and they were great. Generous with their time and information shared. But now I am worried. I understand the shop doing the install has an engine room, where they can test a motor out of the car. Anyone have any idea what that costs to do? It might be smart since I am not so certain about this “new” motor anymore.

Also, anyone with experience with Vertex? I should have posted this question before I bought the motor.
$1,000 to replace the water pump? Dude, you need to learn how to turn wrenches and do easy stuff like this on your own. Plus you're selling an engine that recently had the IMSB replaced with a LN Engineering IMSB?
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |

Last edited by KRAM36; 06-02-2019 at 07:16 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
Yes, the plan is to sell the original motor. Itís on Craigslist now.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/d/san-francisco-porsche-boxster-long/6898001550.html
I'm interested. Do you know what happened to the water pump? How's the impeller?
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:07 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Laval QC
Posts: 98
I recently bought a clutch disk from Vertex. They shipped the wrong model but when I called they immediately accepted their error and express shipped the correct part. Anyone can make an error and I was happy with how their customer service resolved it.
__________________
Grant
Green 2000 Boxster 5-speed
1978 928 auto
1987 924S 5-speed
Blue 2000 Boxster 5-speed (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
$1,000 to replace the water pump? Dude, you need to learn how to turn wrenches and do easy stuff like this on your own. Plus you're selling an engine that recently had the IMSB replaced with a LN Engineering IMSB?
Exactly. Every time I turn a wrench I'm saving $125-$150 an hour shop rate. Granted, doing things the first time (WP... AOS... MM...) it likely takes me twice as much time as a shop so, when for the first time I've completed the maintenance, repair, replacement of a part... I divide the number of hours by two... multiplied by ~shop rate... and spend that money elsewhere.

I saved THOUSANDS... THOUSANDS of dollars doing my own repairs/maintenance... and wouldn't have done so absent the huge brain trust of this forum.

__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
Registered User
 
flouese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Callahan, FL
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Exactly. Every time I turn a wrench I'm saving $125-$150 an hour shop rate. Granted, doing things the first time (WP... AOS... MM...) it likely takes me twice as much time as a shop so, when for the first time I've completed the maintenance, repair, replacement of a part... I divide the number of hours by two... multiplied by ~shop rate... and spend that money elsewhere.

I saved THOUSANDS... THOUSANDS of dollars doing my own repairs/maintenance... and wouldn't have done so absent the huge brain trust of this forum.

Let me chime in on doing your own maintenance. I am NOT a motor head, however several years ago I did a total rebuild on my 66 912. Started 15 minute after the last bolt went in. Fast forward, last year my 99 base Boxster motor quit. I bought a new motor and priced a shop install. After quotes from $6-10K, I decided to take the plunge. Used many references, took my time and did it myself with the assistance of a few friends for the heavy lifting. Now I feel I am intimate with my motor and understand its moods. It was rewarding do the job. Lastly, I am not sad that I did not fund some mechanics kids college education.
__________________
99 Boxster base
1966 912 3 gauge
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
Yes, the plan is to sell the original motor. Itís on Craigslist now.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/d/san-francisco-porsche-boxster-long/6898001550.html
That's a good deal, maybe even great. A running engine for the price of an IMSB. BTW, it will fit 00 thru 02 Boxsters with only minor variations (wiring.)
__________________
2001 Boxster
2002 Prius
1996 Dodge Dakota 4wd
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Exactly. Every time I turn a wrench I'm saving $125-$150 an hour shop rate. Granted, doing things the first time (WP... AOS... MM...) it likely takes me twice as much time as a shop so, when for the first time I've completed the maintenance, repair, replacement of a part... I divide the number of hours by two... multiplied by ~shop rate... and spend that money elsewhere.

I saved THOUSANDS... THOUSANDS of dollars doing my own repairs/maintenance... and wouldn't have done so absent the huge brain trust of this forum.

Some people have an income (not me!) that is sufficient that it's not worth it to do mechanical work (or plumbing, carpentry, wiring, etc.) It costs more to not be working than it does to hire someone.
__________________
2001 Boxster
2002 Prius
1996 Dodge Dakota 4wd
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
WALDMEISTER
 
BRAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 947
Garage
hmm...well, if people consider selling their car again...a service book as i trustworthy currency, the good word of an unknown DIYer not so much. Plus a Service book (dealership services) makes me feel safer somehow. I don't trust my DIY capabilities 100%...lol.
I ALWAYS take TOTAL COSTS into consideration (costs for all materials PLUS all tools/machines PLUS labor cost (of yourself) PLUS cost for learning PLUS costs for getting it done by a professional in the end because you screwed something up...AND AND AND)...and then it might not seem to be such a waste of money to get my car serviced every other year. Bigger repairs on the car...after 20 years = ZERO. Knocking on Wood.

JUST SAYIN'
__________________
Original Owner | PORSCHE Boxster 2.7L (MY01) | Seal Gray

Last edited by BRAN; 06-03-2019 at 09:16 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 92
Well, I am 66. I have had a lifetime of DIY, keeping ratty European cars and motorcycles running. I wired my entire home a few years ago. A piece of cake compared to maintaining wiring on old MGís and Alfaís. I pay for car work now, keeping my knuckles intact and fingernails clean.

But I am getting worried about this Vertex motor I bought. There is no warranty on it since I bought it from a private party. And as below, I keep hearing about issues with Vertex products. If there is something wrong, itís on me. And itíll cost me another $2500 to reinstall my old motor. I might retreat. Keep the Vertex motor for when I really need it. Just fix the water pump in the current engine.... if that engine fails, Iíll throw dice and have them install the Vertex motor...... I think....
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
Artist, 986S tinkerer
 
NewArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,502
Thereís car work and thereís car work. I wonít lift a finger to fix my Kia, but Iíve just finished installing an engine and transmission in my Boxster. Iím no mechanic but Iíve always had the attitude: how hard can it be?
Today, with the internet and YouTube covering every imaginable scenario, as well as this fantastic forum, itís hard for me to justify paying someone else when I can have a great learning experience!
__________________
JesseJames
2004 986 S
987 air intake TB and plenum, Mantissport 2 litre sump, UDP, Bilstein B6 with H&R lowering spings, re71-rs for track, other stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/12shoes2
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #15
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Some people have an income (not me!) that is sufficient that it's not worth it to do mechanical work (or plumbing, carpentry, wiring, etc.) It costs more to not be working than it does to hire someone.
Oh, I hear you. I'm self employed... so when business is good, the wrenching is reserved for weekends. When business is slow... nothing like some weekday wrenching. It's a hobby for me and, like Art said, "How hard can it be".

Further, if you get to a point where you're over your head... or something isn't working in your favor... flat-bed it.

Flouese... awesome! I, too, would be inspired to install my own motor for those kind of dollars.

Cheers!
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
That's a good deal, maybe even great. A running engine for the price of an IMSB. BTW, it will fit 00 thru 02 Boxsters with only minor variations (wiring.)
It would be a good deal if the impeller didn't disintegrate and bits went into the motor. We don't know that yet.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
It would be a good deal if the impeller didn't disintegrate and bits went into the motor. We don't know that yet.
Sorry, just got back to this. Question; could the impeller have “disintegrated” if the car still runs normally, no coolant leaks, no temperature changes? Just a rattling noise?

Btw I lowered the price to $1000 last week. Not a single response. Man, the Boxster market has gone belly up.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/d/san-francisco-porsche-boxster-long/6909126560.html

Last edited by sfkjeld; 06-10-2019 at 01:38 PM.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3
There is a thread on Rennlist 996 about the Vertex and other available long blocks right now. The M96 rebuilds from Vertex are shorted on some key things compared to their competitors, but at a discounted price. Take a look a decide for yourself.
quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 214
sfkjeld, I just PM'd you.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page