Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #21
Laminar Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsy4771 View Post
Every time the car starts to move the radio resets, the radio will come on but sound horrible. Speeds under 15 mph are pure static and engine speed doesn't affect the situation. When I come to a complete stop the radio will again reset. While the car isn't moving the system sounds great. These symptoms occur every time the car moves and stops, although I didn't notice it when I reserved the car.

** I have a 04 base
A friend of mine has an 02 S that does almost the exact same thing - fine when he's not moving but cuts out when he starts to move. Stock radio as far as I know.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #22

Forgot to put in my post, I didn't have this issue with the stock radio.
gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #23
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsy4771 View Post
I was hoping to post I'm done but not quite. I have everything in the car and I was taking my first ride when I discovered an issue. Every time the car starts to move the radio resets, the radio will come on but sound horrible. Speeds under 15 mph are pure static and engine speed doesn't affect the situation. When I come to a complete stop the radio will again reset. While the car isn't moving the system sounds great. These symptoms occur every time the car moves and stops, although I didn't notice it when I reserved the car.

I used the Metra connector to wire the car and head unit. Does the Boxster have a speed sensitive wire in the wiring harness. I'm going to take out the unit and connect a volt meter to the wires, just wanted to get some ideas before I tear into it.

Any/all opinions welcome.

** I have a 04 base
This is sounding like a power issue. I'd pull it out and run new ground and power wires (not using those for the stock unit).
Run a new ground from the stereo to a solid metal ground point, then a new wire from the switched power to the fuse box.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #24
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
This is sounding like a power issue. I'd pull it out and run new ground and power wires (not using those for the stock unit).

Run a new ground from the stereo to a solid metal ground point, then a new wire from the switched power to the fuse box.
This. PW is exactly right here. I'd bet bad ground.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #25

Turned out to be the ignition feed. The battery and ground were fine but the ignition feed voltage would fluctuate wildly when the was moving. I ended up splitting a line I was using for the HU and installed a switch in the 'batwing'. I have some pictures I'll post later.

gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote