Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
you are missing the big picture. The car was sacrificed to bring the insecure friend to terms with his father.
Now if it were a Ford GT40....
Hi,

Yea, couldn't he have just as easily snapped Daddy's #2 Wood in two and achieved the same effect?...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Yea, couldn't he have just as easily snapped Daddy's #2 Wood in two and achieved the same effect?...

Nah, not quite the same impact.

I guess your opinion of Ferris Bueller's day off depends heavily upon your age at the time. In 1986, it was the latest in a string of brilliant movies by John Hughes. Mr Hughes seemed to understand and capture young adults and teen angst like no other film maker. To this day, I don't know that anyone has done it better. Even in my (early) forties, a replay of Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, the Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller's Day off will transport me back to my misspent youth and rivet me to the TV for the rest of the afternoon.

...and John Hughes rarely forgot to include an eclectic collection of rides to assist in his story telling.

Ferris Bueller - Ferrari 250 GT (a kit)

Some Kind of Wonderful - Mini Cooper - '67 Mustang - Jaguar Mark VII - Corvette Convertible

Sixteen Candles - Porsche 944 - Rolls Royce Corniche Convertible

etc...etc...etc...
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #23

Jim,

Thanks for posting the pic. Very sweet car !

I found a bunch of cool trivia about the movie and the car on the IMDB website if anyone is interested :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091042/trivia

Not quite sure how this thread went from a 67 Camaro to Ferris Bueller but I guess that's what makes this forum so much fun ( and informative )

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Nah, not quite the same impact.

I guess your opinion of Ferris Bueller's day off depends heavily upon your age at the time. In 1986, it was the latest in a string of brilliant movies by John Hughes. Mr Hughes seemed to understand and capture young adults and teen angst like no other film maker. To this day, I don't know that anyone has done it better. Even in my (early) forties, a replay of Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, the Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller's Day off will transport me back to my misspent youth and rivet me to the TV for the rest of the afternoon.

...and John Hughes rarely forgot to include an eclectic collection of rides to assist in his story telling.

Ferris Bueller - Ferrari 250 GT (a kit)

Some Kind of Wonderful - Mini Cooper - '67 Mustang - Jaguar Mark VII - Corvette Convertible

Sixteen Candles - Porsche 944 - Rolls Royce Corniche Convertible

etc...etc...etc...
Hi,

I'm in my early 50's and the movies which bring me back have always been Steve McQueen in Bullitt also Barry Newman and Cleavon Little (loved him in Blazing Saddles!) and the White 440 Challenger R/T in Vanishing Point...

"And there goes the Challenger, being chased by the blue, blue meanies on wheels. The vicious traffic squad cars are after our lone driver, the last American hero, the electric centaur, the, the demi-god, the super driver of the golden west! Two nasty Nazi cars are close behind the beautiful lone driver. The police numbers are gettin' closer, closer, closer to our soul hero, in his soul mobile, yeah baby! They about to strike. They gonna get him. Smash him. Rape...the last beautiful free soul on this planet... Can you hear me Kowalski...?" - Super Soul...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-13-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #25

I have a few years on you, Jim, so I nominate "American Graffiti", the best movie about the '60s hotrod culture that has ever been made.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
I have a few years on you, Jim, so I nominate "American Graffiti", the best movie about the '60s hotrod culture that has ever been made.

I would second that one! Great iron.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
to be honest I've never really had an interest(in possibly owning) Muscle cars.
A big huge lumbering car sitting on leaf springs has never appealed to me. Low tech power assited-nothing,no r&p steering, carbeurated evil on big huge rear tires.
Funny... those are the exact reasons why I love my 74 Vette
Old 09-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #28

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iatros
Funny... those are the exact reasons why I love my 74 Vette

You had to be there!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #29

Hi,

Well, it looks like the techno-geeks have figured out the attachment problem, so as promised, here are some pics of my friend Owen's 1965 Ferrari 275 GTS. These were taken saturday at a local Wheels of Italy Car Show where Owen recieved Best of Show for this car. BTW, the guy will even bring his rare, $$$, and unique cars out in the rain, a true Enthusiast! There is even a rare pic of Mrs.MNBoxster standing shivering under the umbrella... enjoy

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-20-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:52 AM   #30
cartagena

My first car was a 1974 Challenger that I bought when I was 14 to "restore". By restore I mean I had no money and no clue what I was doing but the car only cost me $100 and at the time it was 12 years old. Floor panels were all rusted out so I replaced them with sheets of metal. Quarter panels were replaced with cheap fiberglass replacements since I could not weld good enough to put on metal ones. I also replaced the front fenders with cheap fiberglass replacements. I spent two years working on that piece of **************** so I would have a car when I turned 16 which is the legal age to drive where I was. Over those two years I taught myself how to weld a little, how to do bodywork, how to remove and engine, etc. I painted it bright orange and put on the necessary spoiler and black stripes.

I know how people like to reminisce about the "good ol' days" but I hated that piece of crap. It got me girls so I thought it was great at the time. But the thing broke down more often then I changed my underwear. I learned how to "push" a car far more than I ever wanted to. When it got up to 100 miles an hour it floated all over the road. Corners? haha....not at any speed. And I do not even want to talk about driving it to school in the snow during winter. I am just lucky I did not kill myself and the 6 losers who were always piled in it since only I had a car.

The Porsche though, now that is a different story......
Old 09-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #31

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
My first car was a 1967 Mustang GT Coupe, I loved it till my sister crashed it, then i bought a 1967 Mustang Fastback and put a Eleanor kit on her, She was a hotty, Car cost me $10,000, the Kit cost me $8k, sold her for $25k, She was a hotty but damn no AC and GD carb issues would kill me!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Well, it looks like the techno-geeks have figured out the attachment problem, so as promised, here are some pics of my friend Owen's 1965 Ferrari 275 GTS. These were taken saturday at a local Wheels of Italy Car Show where Owen recieved Best of Show for this car. BTW, the guy will even bring his rare, $$$, and unique cars out in the rain, a true Enthusiast! There is even a rare pic of Mrs.MNBoxster standing shivering under the umbrella... enjoy

That is a great car..I would love to have an older Ferrari someday. On the other hand a 67 gt350 Mustang white with Daytona blue stripes would be my choice of old american iron.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote