Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
BusterBoxster

Convertible Top replacement

I'm thinking of replacing the top on my 2002. Considering one with glass rear window. Not sure if I want to tackle myself or have a pro install it if price isn't ridiculous. Looking for any recommendations of shops in Maryland??

BusterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:03 AM   #2

Do it yourself. Took only a few hours and a number of "Sailor" words to remove and replace the top using directions from the PEDROs webpage.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterB View Post
I'm thinking of replacing the top on my 2002. Considering one with glass rear window. Not sure if I want to tackle myself or have a pro install it if price isn't ridiculous. Looking for any recommendations of shops in Maryland??
I've been thinking about doing the same on my 2001. What top are you going to go with?
2001 Boxter S
Lebby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #4

Consider looking for a 03/04 top complete with frame for a easy swap out. The oem on those years have the bigger glass window than the aftermarket ones.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
BusterBoxster

The one from autotopsdirect seemed pretty good. Anyone had experience with them?
Old 05-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
Consider looking for a 03/04 top complete with frame for a easy swap out. The oem on those years have the bigger glass window than the aftermarket ones.
Are these easy to come by??
Old 05-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #7

I'll be doing it this summer as well on a 02...

good link to watch and make that call whether you want to do it yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lnVZYCdfDk
Boss-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Are these easy to come by??
No. These tops are not easy to come by and shipping can kill it even when you do find a deal.

I've replaced top and frame a couple of times on different Boxsters I've owned. The procedure is well documented and straight forward.

I've also replaced the original top on my 2000S with an ebay glass window to from Auto tops Direct. I took my time and it came out great. Again, lots of great instructions available online. You need a Phillips head screw drivers, double sided tape and (maybe) some 3M adhesive. I don't know how one could put the top on and have it come out 'bad' if they'll follow directions. I took a day (4 hours) to take my old top off and a day (~6 hours) to put the new one on. I know I could do it much faster if I did another, maybe half the time.

BTW: I love the glass window top and have no issues with visibility or access to my engine for routine maintenance.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:11 AM   #9
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
No. These tops are not easy to come by and shipping can kill it even when you do find a deal.

I've replaced top and frame a couple of times on different Boxsters I've owned. The procedure is well documented and straight forward.

I've also replaced the original top on my 2000S with an ebay glass window to from Auto tops Direct. I took my time and it came out great. Again, lots of great instructions available online. You need a Phillips head screw drivers, double sided tape and (maybe) some 3M adhesive. I don't know how one could put the top on and have it come out 'bad' if they'll follow directions. I took a day (4 hours) to take my old top off and a day (~6 hours) to put the new one on. I know I could do it much faster if I did another, maybe half the time.

BTW: I love the glass window top and have no issues with visibility or access to my engine for routine maintenance.
Thanks, that sounds like a realistic time frame. I have seen posts where folks can get it done in a day but I was thinking it might be a weekend project if I had everything I needed ready to go and I just took my time and tried to do it right. Having never tackled it before and figuring in a couple of beers, I'm thinking doing it myself would give a cool sense of accomplishment.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:19 AM   #10
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
Do it yourself. Took only a few hours and a number of "Sailor" words to remove and replace the top using directions from the PEDROs webpage.
Yeah, watched a couple videos on guys swapping them out but many seem to leave out the parts that gave them trouble. I'm a bit concerned over the possibility of the "broken clip, or the missing screw" type scenarios. Many of the videos have a part where the narrator says this or that broke so I just did this... Guess I just have to embrace the challenge and assume I can go get any additional parts I might need.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:30 AM   #11
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebby83 View Post
I've been thinking about doing the same on my 2001. What top are you going to go with?
I am considering the Auto Tops Direct, A5 canvas in black with glass window for $614.00
Old 05-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
I am considering the Auto Tops Direct, A5 canvas in black with glass window for $614.00
Perfect. Great company.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
I bought a complete top with the glass window for about $750, getting installed took a bit more than an hour, including taking off the old 01 top. I do love the glass window!

Easy Peasy!

I also replaced the carpeting on my 01, not so easy peasy. In fact a bit of a female dog (forum software censors B. I . T. C. H.) Stupid forum software. Oh well, you live & learn. Newer carpeting is nice. tho.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:
The one from autotopsdirect seemed pretty good. Anyone had experience with them?
My experience: I replaced the plastic window top on my 02 S with a glass window top from Autotopsdirect. It fits like a glove and has served me well. I had it installed by a local auto upholstery shop, because I knew they'd have the tools and expertise I don't have. I am NOT a mechanically-inclined guy. They did a great job.

I paid about $600 for the top, and another $600 to the shop to install. I don't recall if I paid shipping to get the top delivered. It may have been free. I felt $1200 for a new top with glass window was a fair price. The heated rear window was plug-ready to go to the heated mirror wiring, and it came with the wiring. It all looks seamless.

I'd do the same thing again.

Dave

(This image was taken under fluorescent light, so the top color looks weird. Outdoors, it looks right.)
Attached Images

Last edited by DaveNW; 05-12-2018 at 09:04 PM.
DaveNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #15

Garage
Shops in the SF Bay Area

Any recommendations for shops in the Bay Area to do the installation?
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #16
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
I had never replaced a top before. I ordered a GAHH top with plastic back window. I also ordered all the small bits and pieces, cables and fittings before I got started. There is so much how to information out there you can fill an Olympic swimming pool with it. The only piece I did not order was the front seal which they wanted $1000.00... mine was good enough to use without issue. It only took an evening to do the top and the only issue is how tight the top will be when trying to close it back on the car. You will want to do this on a warm day when you can back the car out and let the sun heat it up to stretch. Hint, when it comes to doing the cable you will want to save the pieces that are OEM original to the car for when you are putting the new top on. I found the OEM replacements did not hold the cable in place and it wanted to slip out. Other than that it is not a bad job to take on following instruction.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #17

Sorry no opinion on installer's but IS it necessary to replace those black plastic boom-a-rang looking pieces within the frame,.one of mine popped out as the top was going down and bent the arm,.its now fixed but are they needed to protect the top..? Thanks
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #18
Damn Yankee

Garage
What kind of steering wheel do you have mounted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
Pathological Tinkerer

I recently installed a new Sierra Top A5 acoustic version after accidentally breaking the glass out of mine.

It is a pretty straightforward deal. One point I would like to make about doing the job is removing the two side plastic parts on each side where the tension cable mount to the pivot point with the old top and installing them on the new top with the new top on a bench instead of doing it with the top on the car. Everybody I have talked to and videos I have watched seems to struggle with these two parts. I did have to replace one and buy a couple of new rivets as mine were gone/broken but doing it out of the car made is so easy. When removing the parts you will need to remove the plastic rivets holding them together.

The best video I have found for this is in Spanish, which I speak, but even if you don't understand Spanish, you will get the gist of what I am talking about at minute mark 36:55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiWuXla8_oQ
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:44 PM   #20
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
What kind of steering wheel do you have mounted?
It was one of to Momo wheels I was trying out. Went with the full circle wheel shortly after this. While I really like being able to see the gauges, I love the control a full Momo wheel offers over the stock.