Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #1

Fabspeed exhuast resonance fixed-$15

I recently put on a Fabspeed maxflo exhaust with the sport headers. I absolutely love the sound of the exhaust. The only problem was that around 2200RPM, it would resonate pretty loudly. Typically it was the worst when decelerating through that rpm. I could hear it when accelerating through 2000rpm also but it wasn't as loud, probably because I didn't spend a lot of time in that range on acceleration.

I read just about every thread in the forum concerning exhaust drone and resonance but wasn't satisfied with doing nothing, or taking the new exhaust off and putting the stock exhaust back on; not after hearing what the Fabspeed put out.

I got under the car and looked around a bit and noticed that the pipe that bends into the muffler was butted up against the heat shield. After tapping around on the heat shield in that area, I figured that on deceleration, the exhaust would then vibrate causing the heat shield to vibrate as well. This is where all the noise was coming from. The pipes were touching the heat shield on both sides of the car.

I took a trip to Home Depot and bought a Flame Protector, found in the plumbing aisle. See picture. It cost about $15. It feels like heavy duty felt and it is good up to about 2500 degrees F. It also acts a great sound dampener. So, I cut a section of the flame protector to fit between the exhaust pipe and the heat shield. I didn't have much room in between, otherwise I would have doubled up the material on the left side. I had more room on the right side so I did double up there.

I took the car for a drive and voila. I can still feel a little resonance but I can't hear it anymore.

'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:04 AM   #2

Garage
How do you maintain it in position?
Just press it in?
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #3

Garage
YOU CAN JUST FIRMLY PRESS IN THE AREA OF THE HEAT SHIELD AND DEFORM IT ABOUT AN INCH OR SO...IS IT SOFT THIN METAL.

Oops, just realized I wrote that in all caps...unintentional!
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
How do you maintain it in position?
Just press it in?
My exhaust pipe was pretty tight against the heat shield so the material stays put by itself. There was a small gap on the right side so I just doubled up the material. I am pretty excited about it not making that horrible noise anymore.
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #5

I just finished installing the fabspeed exhaust and it's pressed right up against the heat shield like yours. very frustrated and disappointed. mine will be going back to Fabspeed because this is not the "fit and finish" I was promised if this was the 299.99 china exhaust it would be expected but not for 2k do I expect this type of fit!
Bryan06107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #6

Nice find -- did it knock down the drone? I get pretty bad drone from 2500-3K,
which is only annoying when I can't just park it above 3K.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18febe View Post
I recently put on a Fabspeed maxflo exhaust with the sport headers. I absolutely love the sound of the exhaust. The only problem was that around 2200RPM, it would resonate pretty loudly. Typically it was the worst when decelerating through that rpm. I could hear it when accelerating through 2000rpm also but it wasn't as loud, probably because I didn't spend a lot of time in that range on acceleration.

I read just about every thread in the forum concerning exhaust drone and resonance but wasn't satisfied with doing nothing, or taking the new exhaust off and putting the stock exhaust back on; not after hearing what the Fabspeed put out.

I got under the car and looked around a bit and noticed that the pipe that bends into the muffler was butted up against the heat shield. After tapping around on the heat shield in that area, I figured that on deceleration, the exhaust would then vibrate causing the heat shield to vibrate as well. This is where all the noise was coming from. The pipes were touching the heat shield on both sides of the car.

I took a trip to Home Depot and bought a Flame Protector, found in the plumbing aisle. See picture. It cost about $15. It feels like heavy duty felt and it is good up to about 2500 degrees F. It also acts a great sound dampener. So, I cut a section of the flame protector to fit between the exhaust pipe and the heat shield. I didn't have much room in between, otherwise I would have doubled up the material on the left side. I had more room on the right side so I did double up there.

I took the car for a drive and voila. I can still feel a little resonance but I can't hear it anymore.

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #7

Thumbs up Worked for me too.

Thanks so much for this tip. I recently put on a Fabspeed maxflo exhaust too and the noise around 2200 RPM was horrible. I was almost at the point of going back to stock but this has saved the day! I couldn't find Oatey brand in Australia but instead used the Tradeflame Brazing Heat Mat which is good for 1000 degrees Celsius (1832°F). The carbon fibre felt is 6 mm thick so I triple folded on RHS (and doubled on the left). I also put one rivet through the felt and the heat-shield to hold it, although it probably wouldn't have fallen out without this.

Last edited by Tigger19; 05-12-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: additional info
Tigger19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18febe View Post

This sounds like an annoying noise, to be sure. But let's all be very clear here: this is NOT drone. This is NOT the sound that most are complaining about between 2000 and 3000 rpm with their aftermarket exhausts. (To other users; If this is the sound you are experiencing, fix it, by all means. But don't muddy the waters by calling this "drone". It is not. )

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote