Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

Opinions welcome (little 986 conent)

I value the opinions of this board....
Wait, I value the collective wisdom of this board....there, that's better.

For no good reason, I've slowly come to appreciate and consider the purchase of a 996. I can't justify it but of course that has nothing to do with my thought process.

Background:
I've owned 2 seat roadster since high school, mostly fiat spiders and x1/9. Throw in a couple of alfa Spiders (one of which I still own). I graduated to a few NA Miatas and then owned a Z3, Z3M (twice) and a Z4 3L. I was not a Porsche guy, not even when the Boxster came out. Problem began the first time I drove a Boxster S. I believe it was around 2006 or 2007 and I drove an '03S offered on a local lot. It only took a block or two before I realized I wanted one. By 2008, I was the proud owner of a 2000S that I still own. The car is great, and even at 134,500 miles, runs amazing and never fails to make me smile. My car has had some of the common issues yet none of the horror stories we read online. Heck, I haven't even had to replace my AOS yet. I have not done the IMS as my clutch has shown no signs of needing attention. I know its a gamble but this car owes me nothing.

Lately:
Like others, I've found my eye wandering toward the 996 and 997 cars. I'm aware of the differences and $ be damned, I'd buy a 997. Did I mention I still have two in college?
The prices of 996 cars are stupid cheap. Until yesterday, I just couldn't find the right car. Yesterday afternoon, a neighbor, and former coworker informed me that his 2003 Carrera Cab was going on a an Indy's site on consignment as he had just purchased a 2017 Cayenne GTS. Today, we chatted and it turned out he didn't cosign the car as the Indy currently has an 05 Cab that he's had little luck moving.

Cutting to the chase (finally):
Sorry for the long story. The 2003 is immaculate, 3 owner car. Arctic/black with grey interior. 67.6K miles. 6 speed. Everything works on the car. Clutch, IMSB (LN bearing, not 'solution') and RMS replaced within last two years. Water pump and coolant change as well around 60K miles. I don't know everything about the car but I familiar with it from the time the current owner purchased it in 2014. No accidents or paint work. I'd rate both interior and exterior on the 8.5-9 out of 10 range. Tires and brakes in great shape. 1 ignition key and one additional door key.

I think I can purchase this car for about $19.5K. Given its known maintenance history, this seems like a solid deal, not a screaming bargain but certainly not priced at a premium. If I buy it, I will sell my Boxster.

Opinions welcome.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
My only knock would be the single row IMS, but that appears to have been dealt with. If you can get it for under $20K, I think that's a decent deal. If you haven't already, I suggest you drive several 911's in that age range. They definitely handle different than the Boxsters. Either way, you are still driving a Porsche. Will you miss the convertible?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
My only knock would be the single row IMS, but that appears to have been dealt with. If you can get it for under $20K, I think that's a decent deal. If you haven't already, I suggest you drive several 911's in that age range. They definitely handle different than the Boxsters. Either way, you are still driving a Porsche. Will you miss the convertible?
Thanks for your reply. The 911 I'm talking about is a cabriolet. I really like coupe as well but I've aways had ragtops and yes, I think I'd miss it! Well actually, I do still have a pretty nice '84 Alfa Spider Veloce that also fills the top down itch.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Everyone should own a 911 at some time in their automotive journey.

I say go for it.

But I warn you, the 911 life is a slippery slope. Before you know it, you'll be jonesing for a 997.... or maybe a 3.2 Carerra. Ask me how I know.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #5

I love my Boxster, but a 99X cabriolet with a little more room and HP in the shape you described would be very hard to pass up. If you can swing it keep the boxster, and add a playmate for it!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:37 PM   #6

A 996 with that mileage and all the other stuff is a STEAL! Boxsters are truly undervalued IMO, but that era of 911 is seriously undervalued and now is the time to get into one. And yes, a 911 is, well... a 911. I miss my 84 Carrera...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:50 AM   #7

boxster is more fun than the 911. 996 is not an upgrade from a boxster s.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:14 AM   #8

I feel that so much of the 911's beauty is in the iconic window lines, which look an awkward mess in the cabriolet. I'd keep the boxster for top down pleasure and add a carrera if you must scratch the 911 itch. Also, if you are the type who likes to stretch a cars legs at the track, you'll have trouble with a cab. Most tracks won't allow it due to it's active-type rollover protection.

Last edited by roundel325; 05-01-2018 at 05:19 AM.
roundel325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:42 AM   #9

Everyone with knowledge says the 996s are bottoming out in value, so now is the time to buy. I assume the 911 is the same as the Boxster in getting a glass rear window in 03? That and a glove box make an 03 more desirable than earlier models. Based on #s I've seen, the car you're looking at is a steal. You could drive it for a couple of yrs and still sell it for that price.

That being said, the 911 is a different animal than a Boxster. I've only owned one 911 - it was my Wheeler Dealer car from last yr (an 01 Cab w/ 25K mi). I only drove it a few hundred mi and didn't drive it aggressive enough to discover its handling extremes, but I did notice differences in the limited time I drove it. To me, the best way to describe the difference is the Boxster is a sports car and the 911 is a GT cruiser. I had to really watch my speed in the 911 because it was too easy to be driving 15 over the limit. You didn't get the sensation of speed in the 911 like you do in a Boxster.

I've never had a desire to own a 911. I love the 987 platform. The only 911 I would like to own is a 997 GT3, but that's not happening, so I'll stick to my two cars. But it sounds like you've found a great car at a great price and it would be an opportunity for you to scratch an itch.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 05-01-2018 at 07:19 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #10

I wonder if I could start a 'Go Fund Me' campaign....
My boys would contribute, unfortunately with money I give them every month so that won't work...

Thanks for the comments....
Anything else specific I should be looking for on this car? I will have an opportunity to look under it for suspension, CV boots and leaks.

I don't track my cars or, in all honestly, drive them very hard.
The 03 996 does have glass rear window, as does my Boxster S with its replacement top.

Quadcammer-Your statement is part of my trepidation...When I drove a Box S for the first time, it was like "Holy Sh_t!" The whole sensation of performance and feel of the car said "This is a sports car!" I was driving an fairly new Z4 6 speed at the time and the Box S just felt like so much more fun. I'm scared I'll go the wrong direction with the 996 Cab.

As for value, I wouldn't be buying with the thought that these cars are going to skyrocket in value in the future. I do feel that I won't loose much, if anything over the course of a few years.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #11

I have 2 911s, both turbos, and neither a 996, but the boxster is more nimble, more immediate, better balanced, and tons of fun on the street. I hate to be cliche, but it really is tossable. While the 911 has the speed and arguably better looks, I just don't see it as an upgrade. A 997S at least ups the power and limit quotient, but its still not any more fun.

Guess you could try it out, doubt you'd lose much money.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #12

I say go for it. The price is right on a well maintained Carrera. You have a softtop so I'd say go for a hardtop (I did) but this car is presenting you with a good opportunity.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #13

I had a 2000 Carerra and I was great but it seemed "normal". I got the 03S and it is much more fun to drive. I see why Porsche keeps the HP below the current 911 in their lineup.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #14

I have owned 986 (two) and a 996 Cab and while I am casually looking for a specific 996 C4, I would never give up a Boxster for a 996, but I do want one for the winter :-). And they are 'cheap" and If I could I would fill my barn with them, for the grandkids of course!
zoomster1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #15

sneak into his garage when he's away and swap engines. he'll never notice and you'll get the best of both worlds.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #16

You guys are no help at all!!

The car is just up the street from me...same 'hood'...I haven't gone back to look at it since speaking with the owner on Monday afternoon. Its like I'm scared as I'm pretty confident I will not find anything about this vehicle that would raise any color flag. It'll be up to me. What do I want to do?
I text the owner last night to apologize for not coming down to see the car. I've had some work being done on the exterior of my home and used that as a suitable excuse.
I need to go by tomorrow and really go over the car. I'll have no problem being objective but again, I don't expect any surprises.

Oh, It only has one working key fob...deal breaker, right?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Oh, It only has one working key fob...deal breaker, right?
Yep, that would kill the deal for me I would love to try a 996 but I’ve read too many threads about how they miss their 986’s. In fact, when I bought my 2001 S 5 years ago, I had set out to buy a 996 but then I started seeing more and more god stories about the 986 and it’s drivability and so here I am. I would say like the others, if you can keep both, go for it. If it turns out you don’t like it, I doubt you would lose much. Good luck in your decision
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #18

Can't keep both cars...I've had my Boxster 10 years but I've had my 1984 Alfa Spider 25 years. The Alfa was owned by my brother from from 1986 to 1993 so its been in the family for quite a while. At one point a couple of years ago, we had the Boxster S, a 99 M Roadster The Alfa and a 350Z Roadster. We did not own a sedan or SUV! Lots of fun but kind of tough for all duties.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Can't keep both cars...I've had my Boxster 10 years but I've had my 1984 Alfa Spider 25 years. The Alfa was owned by my brother from from 1986 to 1993 so its been in the family for quite a while. At one point a couple of years ago, we had the Boxster S, a 99 M Roadster The Alfa and a 350Z Roadster. We did not own a sedan or SUV! Lots of fun but kind of tough for all duties.
Thats what they have rental companies for, when you need to haul something just rent!. I like that stable of cars, seems you should be able to reason in a 996 since you need a 4 seat auto, and I use that term loosely! Lol Good luck
Old 05-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #20

I made an offer on the car today and will be fine, regardless of the outcome. My son and I drove the car yesterday afternoon. Driving ragtops and hunting beachfront condos should not be attempted on 'Chamber of Commerce' type days on the beach...just hard to be objective as a buyer. Having my 23 year old son didn't along didn't help either. I shouldn't say that...he's a car guy and have a very keen eye.

So the car is very nice...8.5-9 out of 10. 66.5K miles 3 owners. It has a few marks on the console and a few scrapes on the door sills. The seats/carpet and top were excellent. Heated seats with Porsche crests in headrests. Not 8 way seats, just regular. No PSM (unless I missed it).

Tires/brakes in great shape. Tires are 3 years old with 9K miles. Maintenance records and CarFax look great. One Carfax blemish from 8 years ago where passenger side bumper guard was hit (and repaired). No door dings and no scratches other that a few minor ones on drivers side below the door (maybe from ingress). After market Kenwood double DIN head unit and amp with Nav and backup camera.

Documented Clutch/IMS/RMS replaced the end of Feb this year from local (reputable ) Indy. Water pump and coolant flush done in 2017 at 64K miles. Southern car since birth.

We'll see what happens. I offered $19.5K but told the owner I though it was worth low $20's if he want to go about selling it. I think he won't want to put forth the effort.

We'll see.