Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Thanks for your perspective boxfix. I completely agree with you - but I’m a little puzzled - why you think this car has “lots of known issues”? The major ones I’ve been worried about - RMS and IMS are currently not a problem. I paid $600 to one of the better shops in the area to get inspected and it came back with minor stuff back (like needs new rear tires).

The paint is not bubbling anywhere - I just said it looked a bit faded. The shop said that it would bounce back with a good polish.

The top got vandalized in front of the owners house - it happens.

The shop that did the PPI even said it was “a whole lot of car for the price”.

Not sure where you’re getting “a lot of know issues”? I agree with your statement - but I think I’m really getting this at a good deal not due to “problems” with the car - rather, no one looking for a Porsche wants it in automatic! The seller even asked me when I first met him “why are you looking at this - it’s auto” (I told him it’s for my parents). When he put it up for sale he didn’t include “tiptronic” or “auto” in the title and everyone was calling then passing once they found out it’s not a 5 or 6 Speed.

Maybe you are right. I just don’t see as much wrong with this as you? And I haven’t yet seen one of these selling that has had the IMS solution installed - the only permanent fix available to us and as a result, the only one I’m interested in doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds like it would be fine for a fun car to drive. The "issues" are ALL maintenance issues that arise on any car of the age/mileage and the costs would be comparable. It's a 17 year old car. Yes, it is true, buy the best one you can. But, for the $ this one sounds pretty decent, with a few relatively minor issues. You could probably have the top repaired reasonably, and decide later if you want to do the whole top. If rain is not an issue, then the repair probably wouldn't be. Porsche's can be expensive to fix, but if you shop around there are plenty of alternatives, one just needs to know what they are looking for.

As an example, I own a Jeep and have replaced pretty much the entire front end, shocks, springs, upper and lower control arms, ball joints, etc, etc... I did the work myself with the exception of the alignment. I'm in for 3200.00 in parts alone. Point is, the $$$ required to maintain these older cars well isn't TOO out of whack compared to most. My wife's 2010 Infiniti FRONT struts (I did the work) $700.00. Struts and mounts, no springs. It's part of the game. Nothing of value is cheap anymore. The REAL question is how much $$$ for maintenance is one willing to absorb for a car that is currently valued at X amount. Maintenance is maintenance. Has to be done. The ratio is individual.

Having said ALL of that, frankly a Boxster isn't the best option IMO for noodling around the neighborhood. That will kill that engine faster than fast. These engines (really most engines) need to be driven, get hot and do it some more. Porsche engines of all iterations don't generally respond well to fluffing around for short little trips.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #42

Quote:
Thanks for your perspective boxfix. I completely agree with you - but I’m a little puzzled - why you think this car has “lots of known issues”? The major ones I’ve been worried about - RMS and IMS are currently not a problem. I paid $600 to one of the better shops in the area to get inspected and it came back with minor stuff back (like needs new rear tires).

The paint is not bubbling anywhere - I just said it looked a bit faded. The shop said that it would bounce back with a good polish.

The top got vandalized in front of the owners house - it happens.

The shop that did the PPI even said it was “a whole lot of car for the price”.

Not sure where you’re getting “a lot of know issues”? I agree with your statement - but I think I’m really getting this at a good deal not due to “problems” with the car - rather, no one looking for a Porsche wants it in automatic! The seller even asked me when I first met him “why are you looking at this - it’s auto” (I told him it’s for my parents). When he put it up for sale he didn’t include “tiptronic” or “auto” in the title and everyone was calling then passing once they found out it’s not a 5 or 6 Speed.

Maybe you are right. I just don’t see as much wrong with this as you? And I haven’t yet seen one of these selling that has had the IMS solution installed - the only permanent fix available to us and as a result, the only one I’m interested in doing!

I should have said the Boxsters of that age have plenty of known issues. My point is from my personal history with Boxsters.......and the experiences of people on this forum.

If you have records that the vacuum hoses and reservoir have been checked and refreshed, and the O2 sensors are OK etc... and the cats are OK. And the window operators are good etc,,,,,,,

I did not realize that the paint is sort of OK. I got the impression it needed a repaint

I am happy I don't have to worry about IMS in that i have a new high end one.

My Tiptronic is actually quite good. It shifts pro actively and you can down shift it at any time while in D. It shifts fast when you are using the switches. Very impressive. And I am a stick guy. My 911 if of course a stick and my wagon is a stick.

The Tip is and excellent transmission.

I have a friend who is and ex-racer and he took a boxster stick on a 3 day road rally and came back a believer.

I was going to comment on the 5 miles a day, but geof3 said it more eloquently than I could "Having said ALL of that, frankly a Boxster isn't the best option IMO for noodling around the neighborhood. That will kill that engine faster than fast. These engines (really most engines) need to be driven, get hot and do it some more. Porsche engines of all iterations don't generally respond well to fluffing around for short little trips."

I worked on a friend's boxster that was driven 7 miles a day.....lots of problems from not ever being warmed up and "put away wet"!!!
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner

Last edited by boxfix; 02-09-2018 at 10:00 AM.
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
I should have said the Boxsters of that age have plenty of known issues. My point is from my personal history with Boxsters.......and the experiences of people on this forum.

If you have records that the vacuum hoses and reservoir have been checked and refreshed, and the O2 sensors are OK etc... and the cats are OK. And the window operators are good etc,,,,,,,

I did not realize that the paint is sort of OK. I got the impression it needed a repaint

I am happy I don't have to worry about IMS in that i have a new high end one.

My Tiptronic is actually quite good. It shifts pro actively and you can down shift it at any time while in D. It shifts fast when you are using the switches. Very impressive. And I am a stick guy. My 911 if of course a stick and my wagon is a stick.

The Tip is and excellent transmission.

I have a friend who is and ex-racer and he took a boxster stick on a 3 day road rally and came back a believer.

I was going to comment on the 5 miles a day, but geof3 said it more eloquently than I could "Having said ALL of that, frankly a Boxster isn't the best option IMO for noodling around the neighborhood. That will kill that engine faster than fast. These engines (really most engines) need to be driven, get hot and do it some more. Porsche engines of all iterations don't generally respond well to fluffing around for short little trips."

I worked on a friend's boxster that was driven 7 miles a day.....lots of problems from not ever being warmed up and "put away wet"!!!
All valid points and yeah - something I should think about. Ok so maybe I'll tell them to drive it MOAR than 7 miles a day. hah.

Thanks for all your thoughts - they are all good points and things to take into account.

One thing I forgot to mention - I like working on cars. We have a number of cars in the family so nothing is ever a rush when we work on something - it can be up on lift jacks for weeks if needed. I like learning how things work and ever thinking ahead about preventative maintenance.
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #44

Well here she is. After a nice wash and polish (incredible how much dirt was on it!).

Old 02-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #45

Looks nice! Congrats!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Looks nice! Congrats!

Thank you sir!

Old 02-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Thank you sir!

And another note... in all of your pictures your “frunk” is open. Might want to check. Requires a decent push right over the latch (don’t just drop it) to overcome the rubber and latch it properly...
Old 02-10-2018, 12:28 AM   #48

Very nice..kind of looks like mine..
Badboybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
And another note... in all of your pictures your “frunk” is open. Might want to check. Requires a decent push right over the latch (don’t just drop it) to overcome the rubber and latch it properly...
Yes - I figured that out shortly after taking the photos. Frunk! LOL, great word to describe it!

Oh, it also seems like my account has been restricted. I can't start any new posts, and I can't do anything on the site via tapatalk. Not sure what happened? Who do I contact to fix?
Attached Images

Last edited by Wangta; 02-11-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #50
Certified Boxster Addict

Great looking car! So glad that everything worked out for you.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:35 PM   #51

Does anyone know how to contact an ADMIN? I can't send any messages, post any new threads, or respond to any discussions other than this one. I can't even change my preferences, change my profile (even tried to change my location!), or delete messages - none of my saves are put into effect.

On tapatalk I can't post anything - it says "YOU DON'T HAVE PERMISSION TO REPLY".

Since I can't message (after I hit send message, it doesn't show up in the "Sent" folder!), I'm not sure any of my messages to the ADMINS are going through? If an admin is reading this - can you please check my account??

Anyone else that can help - I'd be eternally grateful.