View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #41
Geof3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Thanks for your perspective boxfix. I completely agree with you - but I’m a little puzzled - why you think this car has “lots of known issues”? The major ones I’ve been worried about - RMS and IMS are currently not a problem. I paid $600 to one of the better shops in the area to get inspected and it came back with minor stuff back (like needs new rear tires).

The paint is not bubbling anywhere - I just said it looked a bit faded. The shop said that it would bounce back with a good polish.

The top got vandalized in front of the owners house - it happens.

The shop that did the PPI even said it was “a whole lot of car for the price”.

Not sure where you’re getting “a lot of know issues”? I agree with your statement - but I think I’m really getting this at a good deal not due to “problems” with the car - rather, no one looking for a Porsche wants it in automatic! The seller even asked me when I first met him “why are you looking at this - it’s auto” (I told him it’s for my parents). When he put it up for sale he didn’t include “tiptronic” or “auto” in the title and everyone was calling then passing once they found out it’s not a 5 or 6 Speed.

Maybe you are right. I just don’t see as much wrong with this as you? And I haven’t yet seen one of these selling that has had the IMS solution installed - the only permanent fix available to us and as a result, the only one I’m interested in doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds like it would be fine for a fun car to drive. The "issues" are ALL maintenance issues that arise on any car of the age/mileage and the costs would be comparable. It's a 17 year old car. Yes, it is true, buy the best one you can. But, for the $ this one sounds pretty decent, with a few relatively minor issues. You could probably have the top repaired reasonably, and decide later if you want to do the whole top. If rain is not an issue, then the repair probably wouldn't be. Porsche's can be expensive to fix, but if you shop around there are plenty of alternatives, one just needs to know what they are looking for.

As an example, I own a Jeep and have replaced pretty much the entire front end, shocks, springs, upper and lower control arms, ball joints, etc, etc... I did the work myself with the exception of the alignment. I'm in for 3200.00 in parts alone. Point is, the $$$ required to maintain these older cars well isn't TOO out of whack compared to most. My wife's 2010 Infiniti FRONT struts (I did the work) $700.00. Struts and mounts, no springs. It's part of the game. Nothing of value is cheap anymore. The REAL question is how much $$$ for maintenance is one willing to absorb for a car that is currently valued at X amount. Maintenance is maintenance. Has to be done. The ratio is individual.

Having said ALL of that, frankly a Boxster isn't the best option IMO for noodling around the neighborhood. That will kill that engine faster than fast. These engines (really most engines) need to be driven, get hot and do it some more. Porsche engines of all iterations don't generally respond well to fluffing around for short little trips.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote