View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #43
Wangta

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
I should have said the Boxsters of that age have plenty of known issues. My point is from my personal history with Boxsters.......and the experiences of people on this forum.

If you have records that the vacuum hoses and reservoir have been checked and refreshed, and the O2 sensors are OK etc... and the cats are OK. And the window operators are good etc,,,,,,,

I did not realize that the paint is sort of OK. I got the impression it needed a repaint

I am happy I don't have to worry about IMS in that i have a new high end one.

My Tiptronic is actually quite good. It shifts pro actively and you can down shift it at any time while in D. It shifts fast when you are using the switches. Very impressive. And I am a stick guy. My 911 if of course a stick and my wagon is a stick.

The Tip is and excellent transmission.

I have a friend who is and ex-racer and he took a boxster stick on a 3 day road rally and came back a believer.

I was going to comment on the 5 miles a day, but geof3 said it more eloquently than I could "Having said ALL of that, frankly a Boxster isn't the best option IMO for noodling around the neighborhood. That will kill that engine faster than fast. These engines (really most engines) need to be driven, get hot and do it some more. Porsche engines of all iterations don't generally respond well to fluffing around for short little trips."

I worked on a friend's boxster that was driven 7 miles a day.....lots of problems from not ever being warmed up and "put away wet"!!!
All valid points and yeah - something I should think about. Ok so maybe I'll tell them to drive it MOAR than 7 miles a day. hah.

Thanks for all your thoughts - they are all good points and things to take into account.

One thing I forgot to mention - I like working on cars. We have a number of cars in the family so nothing is ever a rush when we work on something - it can be up on lift jacks for weeks if needed. I like learning how things work and ever thinking ahead about preventative maintenance.
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote