Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 07:53 AM   #21

Here is a very good 2003 Tiptronic with IMS and new Tiptronic, records, work done by TRE in Van Nuys. Perfect paint and interiors all records.......Love it but I have too many cars right now.

1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
Here is a very good 2003 Tiptronic with IMS and new Tiptronic, records, work done by TRE in Van Nuys. Perfect paint and interiors all records.......Love it but I have too many cars right now.

That’s a beautiful car boxfix but I’m not a big fan of grey or silver.

I agree with you guys but this car has almost every service record documented - did you see my service record pictures? That indicates to me that the previous owners really looked after the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #23

Looking to do buy a 2001 Boxster S - Some questions for the experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I think in most markets you can do better. This car has too many issues for me.

Owned 2, wonderful cars both.

What “issues” are you seeing Mikefocke? This car has almost perfect service records? The fact it hasn’t (or I haven’t verified) that the IMs has been done?

I’m kind of confused - sure the top was vandalized but perhaps I’m less worried about that as I had a top to a TT cut as well (was done in a communal parking garage?). I’ve been focused on finding a car that has been serviced appropriately and at the right interval. Honestly - if IMS has been address great but I find it hard to pay up for one that has had it done - I find most that hAve has it done are incorporating the full value into their asking price.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #24

Odd. I called the dealership where the records show the car being serviced (and even sold!)....they had no records of the car! The guy wasn't the most polite - he seemed a bit annoyed I was bothering him with asking for service records - I'm sure he'd prefer I come in and buy a another car from them?

The car has a license plate frame from the dealers still on the car for godsake!

On the more paranoid end of the spectrum - is it possible to 'fake' records in mycarfax and autocheck?
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
That’s a beautiful car boxfix but I’m not a big fan of grey or silver.

I agree with you guys but this car has almost every service record documented - did you see my service record pictures? That indicates to me that the previous owners really looked after the car?

Yes, I saw the list. I have a CarFax on mine and have records from TRE and have spoken to them. They did all the work after the Warranty was up.

I know there are too many silver Boxsters around!!!

My odyssey with this car reminds me of the time and money it takes to turn a decently well cared for Boxster into an excellent car. I won't bore you with details but I have exhausted my list of things to fix on this car. This Boxster is ready for someone to enjoy.

Why am I selling it? The plan was that this would be my wife's car. And I would drive it occasionally. I quickly found out I was too tall for it and could not get comfortable in the cockpit. She commutes on the 101 daily and did not like the rear visibility and how small she felt near trucks. She has a pristine Saab Aero turbo wagon that she loves and feels really comfortable in. We have 5 other cars and between the 2 of us we were not driving the Boxster much. It is such a nice car I feel it deserves a good home rather than sitting in our garage.

My daily driver is my stick shift Saab Aero wagon with 300HP or my 1973 Carrera RS tribute that has 260,00 miles on it. I fit in the 911 and revel in its power and lightweight and fun driving experience.

Sorry you don't like the color. PM me if you change your mind. It might cost you less in the long run.

Dick Lague

Last edited by boxfix; 02-07-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #26
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
1. I am aware of the IMS issues with these cars .... With 120k miles, I'm guessing that it's fine?
There is no way to know. Yes, its made it 120K miles but the IMS could fail tomorrow or it could never fail. Everyone has a different view on the risk and what the consequences might mean to them. Learn as much as you can about the IMS issue and then you'll have to make your own decision whether to replace the bearing or just drive it as-is.

If it bothers you, spend the money to replace the bearing and sleep well at night. If not, then take your chances but be prepared in case the worst case happens. Only you can decide what path is best for you.

Quote:
2. It's a tiptronic - my wife wants to drive this most of the time, and she hates stick - and we have some bad traffic around here. It seems like most Porsches are manual (and rightly so), but does that lower the sale price and/or resale value? I don't really care about resale value, but can I ask a lower price since it's auto? It doesn't seem like he's received much interest in it so far.
Yes, generally tips will sell for less than a manual, but the seller will likely claim that they have already accounted for that aspect of the car in their asking price. If you think the car is worth less than the asking price, by all means, offer what you think is a fair price and see what the seller says. Don't be afraid to walk away. Boxster's are not quite a dime a dozen but they certainly aren't rare so if you miss out on this car, another is sure to come along soon.

Quote:
Also, how robust are the tiptronic transmissions? Do they break down often? I'm guessing they are expensive to fix when they do?
The tip is reasonably robust and does not break down often but can be expensive if they do.

Quote:
4. Might want to replace the top with a glass version - but I understand that that requires a full replacement of the top, frame and motors? That sounds like a PITA? What does everyone mean when they have to "karate chop" the back window? My test rive had the hard top on it, so I didn't get the privilege. New tops (with the plastic) aren't too expensive it seems $300 and can DIY?. I'm not too worried about it as it doesn't rain much in LA. To perhaps bring down my overall acquisition cost, I might sell the hard top as well since the car will sit in a garage when - I believe hard tops go for $1000-$1500?
The top can be replaced with a glass version without replacing the frame and motors. Some owners fold the plastic window manually by pressing the middle of the plastic window so it folds nicely (thus called the karate chop). I never did this, i just let the top fold itself and never had a problem.

A replacement top runs $400-$800. Installation can run $400-$800. Replacing a soft top is a pretty good effort so be sure that you have the skills to do a good job before you take this on as a DIY project.

Quote:
5. Paint - again, it's a little faded and there are a number of rock chips on the front hood. I thought about getting a nice respay, then realized it would have to be the fenders, bumper and hood - and thought - well hell, might as well do the rest of the car. Has anybody done this in CA and curiuos how much it costs (gotta be less than a Coupe or Sedan)!
When it comes to car paint, it all depends on what you want and your budget. You say a "nice" respray. What does that mean? Nice to you might mean something completely different to me. In my experience, most paint shops that work on Porsche's on a regular basis will interpret that to mean a $6K-$8K paint job.

On the other hand, I know paint shops that will do a quick sand, re-spray, and clear for $3K. It will look good from 20 ft but won't fool anyone up close and they're not going to do hardly any body work so all of the wrinkles, dings, dents, and misaligned panels will stay that way. And it won't last forever. But its cheap and gets the job done.

I also know paint shops that will charge $10K+ and your paint will be nicer than anything coming out of the factory, will last forever, and the color will be 2 ft deep.

Or anything in between.

Define a budget and decide on what level of quality you want and then find a shop that can provide that level of quality at the price you're willing to pay.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 02-07-2018 at 09:02 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #27
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Why was the 60K mile service (9/15/2011) performed at around 88,000 miles?
1979 911 SC
Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #28
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Odd. I called the dealership where the records show the car being serviced (and even sold!)....they had no records of the car! The guy wasn't the most polite - he seemed a bit annoyed I was bothering him with asking for service records.
This is not unheard of. Some dealers have a policy that service/repair data is a personal record and so they don't want to share it with anyone except the owner.

Quote:
On the more paranoid end of the spectrum - is it possible to 'fake' records in mycarfax and autocheck?
Car repair record services are notoriously inaccurate. I don't know if they are subject to outright fraud on a regular basis but the data is often just plain wrong. Even more common is data that is missing - there could be many more repairs and even accidents that never show up on these reports.
1979 911 SC
Old 02-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #29

Good thoughtful comment "the stone"

I find CarFax and like services don't provide much information and leave out much. Seems curious that the dealer provides no details of what was replaced or repaired. And I understand the dealer would not release records.

IMS and trans condition is important on a car of that mileage.

When I read the description of the car I just think of all the things that could be wrong if you are not 100% sure it was meticulously cared for. It was brought to the dealer a lot, but not proof the car is in good shape.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #30
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I know there are too many silver Boxsters around!!!

Never too many silver Boxsters.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #31

Garage
I think I'll get personalized plates: GRAYFOX
Old 02-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #32

At 120K, add replacing the entire suspension in the future as its getting quite old. It's not inexpensive especially if you don't do the work yourself. Part alone are north of 3K if I recall correctly.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
At 120K, add replacing the entire suspension in the future as its getting quite old. It's not inexpensive especially if you don't do the work yourself. Part alone are north of 3K if I recall correctly.
Well well...what an intro to owning a Porsche. LOL.

I had a pretty thorough PPI done yesterday on the vehicle - they cut open the oil filter as part of it. Came back pretty clean - no metal pieces in the filter. Also noted suspension is fine, though it creeks a bit when turning at maximums.

Couple annoyances: rear tires are cracking, which I already had noticed. That'll be a nice $500. Also, the driver side window drops when the door handle is pulled but goes back up immediately before the door is closed so it hits the convertible top - I think the switch that controls it might need replacing.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #34

I had a 90k service done at 42k upon assuming ownership. My choice. So it may be a plus, may be a minus. It also could be they did the 90k (which adds a transmission service on a TIP car to what is done for a 60k IIRC) but documented it as a 60k.

But where is the 30k, the 90k and it may be it needs a 120k given that the 60k was 6.5 years ago, tires, top, etc which could be $3k or more. I spent that on my second Boxster in the first month.

Then there is the body, paint issues.

I still think if you look you can do better. Even if the initial cost is a bit more.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I had a 90k service done at 42k upon assuming ownership. My choice. So it may be a plus, may be a minus. It also could be they did the 90k (which adds a transmission service on a TIP car to what is done for a 60k IIRC) but documented it as a 60k.

But where is the 30k, the 90k and it may be it needs a 120k given that the 60k was 6.5 years ago, tires, top, etc which could be $3k or more. I spent that on my second Boxster in the first month.

Then there is the body, paint issues.

I still think if you look you can do better. Even if the initial cost is a bit more.
Maybe you're right mikefocke. I've been looking for a couple months now and I honestly haven't seen anything that is priced right. Maybe for a standard Boxer (this one is an S)? For example, there is base that is for sale in Arizona now - a red 2003 base with the IMS ceramic bearing installed and 75k miles - asking $12.4k.

I've negotiated this Boxster S down to $7.2k with the hard top (no one wants an auto transmission!) - I plan to sell the hard top ($1k?) so that brings my total cost down to $6.2? No IMS issues per the oil filter test. I'd love to have the IMS solution installed ($5k?) which is superior to the ceramic bearing - so I'd be close to the same place (~$12k), and I end up with a Boxer S instead of a base, but I have 30k more miles? I dunno how to weigh all the pros and cons. At the end of the day, I gotta value my time a bit more and just bite the bullet on one?

This car isn't exactly for me either - it's for my parents who will drive it around their retirement community and golf range. They'll likely put 5 miles a day on this, so miles aren't going to go up very quickly. Perhaps I'm a bit warped by being in California, but 120k miles doesn't seem super high to me (my wife's old car had 275k on it before we decided to get rid of it - it was still running great!).

Last edited by Wangta; 02-08-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Some owners fold the plastic window manually by pressing the middle of the plastic window so it folds nicely (thus called the karate chop). I never did this, i just let the top fold itself and never had a problem.
Probably true for LA folks, who rarely deal with cold temps. For those who, like me, are in a colder climate, DO the chop. In cooler weather I've gone half way into the top-down process, then looked at the back window. Often as not it's started to fold with a sharp point somewhere in the middle which, when it's cold, has just gotta be hard on the vinyl. The "chop" eliminates this stress on the material.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Probably true for LA folks, who rarely deal with cold temps. For those who, like me, are in a colder climate, DO the chop. In cooler weather I've gone half way into the top-down process, then looked at the back window. Often as not it's started to fold with a sharp point somewhere in the middle which, when it's cold, has just gotta be hard on the vinyl. The "chop" eliminates this stress on the material.
LOL, can someone send me a video of this infamous chop? I still can't visualize it.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #38

Quote:
LOL, can someone send me a video of this infamous chop? I still can't visualize it.
Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C1nh03uOzQ
Old 02-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #39

Words of wisdom I have heard forever:

"There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Boxster.

Buy the best Porsche you can afford."

this thread has my head spinning. Buying a car with lots known issues and then planning to put money into the car is not a good idea.

What happens when other things happen to a 120,000 mile Boxster. things like a window operators failing [very common] $300 plus $250 labor. Or a fuel leak in the fuel gauge cover.....another $300 [also common]. Or a set of O2 sensors ..... $400 and $300 for installation. Tires easy $1000.

New top $1600 easy.

Vacuum leaks are very common and will stop you from passing smog. Vacuum canisters fail, rubber vacuum lines fail .....all expensive to find and fix.

At 120,000 miles you have lots of rubber cooling hoses ready to fail. A/C leaks are likely at this mileage.

Then there is paint to fix the failed clearcoat. I have done lots of painting and there are HOURS of labor in doing a good job. Cleaning up that failed clearcoat is $5000+ in prep and painting.

So a $7500 Boxster becomes $13,000 Boxster for the things that are bad, or fail soon and making the paint decent.

I know I have been there on several cars.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #40

Looking to do buy a 2001 Boxster S - Some questions for the experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
Words of wisdom I have heard forever:

"There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Boxster.

Buy the best Porsche you can afford."

this thread has my head spinning. Buying a car with lots known issues and then planning to put money into the car is not a good idea.

What happens when other things happen to a 120,000 mile Boxster. things like a window operators failing [very common] $300 plus $250 labor. Or a fuel leak in the fuel gauge cover.....another $300 [also common]. Or a set of O2 sensors ..... $400 and $300 for installation. Tires easy $1000.

New top $1600 easy.

Vacuum leaks are very common and will stop you from passing smog. Vacuum canisters fail, rubber vacuum lines fail .....all expensive to find and fix.

At 120,000 miles you have lots of rubber cooling hoses ready to fail. A/C leaks are likely at this mileage.

Then there is paint to fix the failed clearcoat. I have done lots of painting and there are HOURS of labor in doing a good job. Cleaning up that failed clearcoat is $5000+ in prep and painting.

So a $7500 Boxster becomes $13,000 Boxster for the things that are bad, or fail soon and making the paint decent.

I know I have been there on several cars.

Thanks for your perspective boxfix. I completely agree with you - but I’m a little puzzled - why you think this car has “lots of known issues”? The major ones I’ve been worried about - RMS and IMS are currently not a problem. I paid $600 to one of the better shops in the area to get inspected and it came back with minor stuff back (like needs new rear tires).

The paint is not bubbling anywhere - I just said it looked a bit faded. The shop said that it would bounce back with a good polish.

The top got vandalized in front of the owners house - it happens.

The shop that did the PPI even said it was “a whole lot of car for the price”.

Not sure where you’re getting “a lot of know issues”? I agree with your statement - but I think I’m really getting this at a good deal not due to “problems” with the car - rather, no one looking for a Porsche wants it in automatic! The seller even asked me when I first met him “why are you looking at this - it’s auto” (I told him it’s for my parents). When he put it up for sale he didn’t include “tiptronic” or “auto” in the title and everyone was calling then passing once they found out it’s not a 5 or 6 Speed.

Maybe you are right. I just don’t see as much wrong with this as you? And I haven’t yet seen one of these selling that has had the IMS solution installed - the only permanent fix available to us and as a result, the only one I’m interested in doing!

Last edited by Wangta; 02-08-2018 at 07:50 PM.