View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
Wangta

Looking to do buy a 2001 Boxster S - Some questions for the experts

Hey guys - I'm looking at buying a used 2001 Boxster S with about 120k on the clock. I met the seller earlier this week and gave it a test drive. It sounded great, and rode well - a little bumpy but I believe that's typical of a Boxster (the roads weren't great). I plan to do a PPI at a local shop that is good with Porsches tomorrow, but I'm curious if anyone has any other thoughts on things to watch out, price, etc.

The person is asking $8,500. Here are the specs:

1. Comes with paint-matched hard top

2. Soft top has a 6" rip (due to vandalism) in it that has been repaired (it looks like it would be water proof).

3. Front tires have been replaced - rears don't look to have much life left.

4. Headlights are a little yellow - not surprising givin the age of the car.

5. The seller has owned the car for 2 years, and unfortunately didn't have enough garage space so it sat outside (the rip in the top was from some person who ripped it with a knife) - so the paint looks a little sun faded as do the headlights. I believe it'll look much better after a proper clean, clay, polish, etc.

6. The autocheck report looks ok - the car had 4 owners (including the seller). It's always been in California, and was sold as a "Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle" at 53,000 miles, and again at 54,224 miles (?). The CPO tag at 53k miles makes me feel good that it was treated well in it's early years - hoping the Carfax report shows the service history after that (the autocheck report shows only CA emissions tests) - specifically was hoping to know about the water pump and when it was last replaced.

7. Wheel center cap Porsche crests are missing from 2 of the wheels (he said this is the second time someone stole them).

A couple things to note:

1. I am aware of the IMS issues with these cars, but given the miles on this car - I'm guessing this one is fine? I was under the impression that IMS issues appear early, and if there is a bore alignment problem, they will come up often and repeat. With 120k miles, I'm guessing that it's fine? The mechanic who will do the PPI does plan to look at the oil filter and check for metal parts.

2. It's a tiptronic - my wife wants to drive this most of the time, and she hates stick - and we have some bad traffic around here. It seems like most Porsches are manual (and rightly so), but does that lower the sale price and/or resale value? I don't really care about resale value, but can I ask a lower price since it's auto? It doesn't seem like he's received much interest in it so far.

Also, how robust are the tiptronic transmissions? Do they break down often? I'm guessing they are expensive to fix when they do?

3. We plan to use this as a fun weekend/getaway car. Our "before kids - let's live life" car.

4. Might want to replace the top with a glass version - but I understand that that requires a full replacement of the top, frame and motors? That sounds like a PITA? What does everyone mean when they have to "karate chop" the back window? My test rive had the hard top on it, so I didn't get the privilege. New tops (with the plastic) aren't too expensive it seems $300 and can DIY?. I'm not too worried about it as it doesn't rain much in LA. To perhaps bring down my overall acquisition cost, I might sell the hard top as well since the car will sit in a garage when - I believe hard tops go for $1000-$1500?

5. Paint - again, it's a little faded and there are a number of rock chips on the front hood. I thought about getting a nice respay, then realized it would have to be the fenders, bumper and hood - and thought - well hell, might as well do the rest of the car. Has anybody done this in CA and curiuos how much it costs (gotta be less than a Coupe or Sedan)!

Any help, guidance or thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by Wangta; 02-05-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote