Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Try different types of events in your region. From my experience in a couple regions, friendliness is inverse to what you might expect.

If snobbery shows up, it typically is isolated to "the waxers" as a friend refers to them. Those who EXCLUSIVELY participate in show-n-shine/concours events and nothing else. Simple insecurity on their part which I know you can rise above. If anything this makes perfect sense as "they" are attending to just 'show off' an object for praise... as opposed to connecting with people (which is the true purpose). And before anyone takes offense to term "waxers", yes I do concours events occasionally and in full disclosure have done very well in them with the same car I had put on the track a few weeks earlier.

On the other hand, typically "drivers" in a club (aka those who participate in DE, AX and even most rally drivers) are most welcoming/friendly. Huge camaraderie develops weekends at a track... or whilst spending a day humping cones. Not to mention skill [usually] humbles quickly. You can talk a huge game all you want but proof is in the pudding when you're doing 150-200 feet per second. Guys in an original 944 w skill can easily embarrass drivers w/ double and even triple the HP. By the same token, I've also seen a guy w a stock Gen-3 VW Golf run neck to neck w a 997 GT3RS owner (talk about humbling) yet at the end of the day they'll grab a beer, dinner and a cigar together.

Again try different types of events in your region. Some also comes down to your confidence level. If someone asks what you drive, say "A sweet 2001 986 S (or Boxster if you prefer) which I do much maintenance on and keep modifying to meet my needs"... As opposed to what I've witnessed more than once - "Oh, just an old Boxster". Exhibit your automotive passion and despise of lesser German marques - especially BMW (yes I'm a BMWCCA member). The vast vast vast majority of people could not care less how much you paid for a vehicle. In fact most will instead try to connect w/ you by saying something complimentary of your vehicle and or connecting you w someone they know in the club who has the same. If not, eff 'em.

Good luck

PS - if you want to really see snobs, swing by any Mercedes Club event and watch all the 3-4 person cliques... It's quite entertaining
Well said and your right on all points. I have experienced friendly people in AutoX groups now that you mention it, funny but hose guys are only at the AX events lol. Never see too many "high" end cars there really mostly guys with 996's and older 911's ripping up the course.

2001 Boxster 986 S, 6spd, arctic silver, black interior with black rear glass top, 18" staggered black powder-coated Porsche twists, aftermarket exhaust, smoked headlights and taillights, 20mm rear hubcentric billet wheel spacers, 5mm front billet wheel spacers, de-snorkled, passenger airbag switch, 997 shifter upgrade, LN engineering dual row update, Koni FSD with H&R sport springs, Joe Toth composites rear duck tail spoiler.
marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #22

Love the pecking order... I've been around P cars since 79, when I bought at the ripe old age of 21 my first 911. 72 T, with a 69 E engine...I didn't know about the motor swap until one day I came into the d'ship I was working for--Rexroat P/A in East Moline, IL after driving over 100mph to get there on time from Peoria and noticed my exhaust was literally white. I'd just changed plugs that weekend (for a 2.4T) and discovered I was lucky to not have holed a piston in the 2.0E due to differences in heat range...I rolled that car about 6 mos later when I discovered trailing throttle oversteer at night doing about 110 around a long sweeper in the country and realized they'd dug a trench across the road...i survived and the roll was slow enough that I drove it home-- headlight pointing to the night sky, windshield busted, and roof crunched.
I digress. Point is, from that age on, I was hooked on the inherent quality of Porsches (I was able to repair that car and drove it for a couple of years-- then my brother took it) and since then, have owned a 356 T5 Roadster, (rue that decision to sell!) a real 914-6, several later 911's and still own my 73 E S/R coupe since 1989...that was my track mate for 20 years--mainly Midwest so perhaps there's something to be said for Midwst peeps... when early 911's started to get stupid expensive, I retired and picked up lan 03 986S. The point of the post, I reckon. My experience is I think its what YOU make of it... 914 owners used to be the lowest rung, then 924's (77-79) however, enthusiasm trumps all. We all started the car journey somewhere. The first outing with the box? We spun a bearing. (Crappy inherent design which really was a HUGE disappointment) 20 years without a mechanical failure in the 911. Yet, I've never felt judged. Maybe because I've been around it too long. I sold P cars for ten years and personally was responsible for getting a couple of hundred peeps involved with PCA over that time. Most enjoyed it for the camaraderie and the ability to drive the cars at rallys and track events. Get involved and be enthusiastic and you'll get out what you put in-- regardless of what you drive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
pkp4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Never experienced a different reaction between my 993tt and my boxster. Especially at the track, the box always gets positive comments. Maybe the wrong crowd, try the guys who autox or de, they seem to be less snobby
Another member commented here on same thing, yea I actually noticed friendlier guys over on the DE/AutoX side for sure. I think because I am on the younger side they think I have no clue owning a Porsche, not sure.
2001 Boxster 986 S, 6spd, arctic silver, black interior with black rear glass top, 18" staggered black powder-coated Porsche twists, aftermarket exhaust, smoked headlights and taillights, 20mm rear hubcentric billet wheel spacers, 5mm front billet wheel spacers, de-snorkled, passenger airbag switch, 997 shifter upgrade, LN engineering dual row update, Koni FSD with H&R sport springs, Joe Toth composites rear duck tail spoiler.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #24

Is this the CVR PCA? Everyone I have encountered has been great, and I can assure you I look younger than you.

Do you plan to attend the spring rally?
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #25

Some members are bringing up a good point as far as "groups" within PCA that may be friendlier such as the DE and AutoX guys and they are right I actually meet a couple guys there sometime ago now that I think about it. I think the fact that I look like a younger guy may have something to do with it? nothing against age as many owners are "seasoned" and 45 plus years of age.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Is this the CVR PCA? Everyone I have encountered has been great, and I can assure you I look younger than you.

Do you plan to attend the spring rally?
My line of work its difficult to commit to long events and the 2 kids under 6 makes it worse. I attend a couple events a year. The AutoX guys seemed down to earth. I know what your going to say next that I need to go to more events and "hang" out. Many other groups of enthusiasts I grew up around accepted guys a little better even if they didnt hang out much.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #27

As a few other members have noted there is a definite pecking order in the Porsche groups, I am not the only one that notices. We all enjoy the same marque shouldnt matter if its a 914 or 991. Guess I need to shut up an just drive my car with my car here and there.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #28

Locally, our PCA club has a very high proportion of Boxsters, including a lot of 986s. Maybe it's all the sunny weather year round here. Anyway, as a 987 owner, I've found our club very welcoming. Of course, there are a few narcissists in the club, but they're tolerable and can generally be avoided. My problem fitting in with the club has much more to do with age than model of car. I'm 45 but the club is VERY heavily weighted toward retirees. I always feel like a kid at the table.

The local 4WD Toyota club has been very welcoming too. It's a much smaller club, but it does have more of a family feel to it.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
I'm 45 but the club is VERY heavily weighted toward retirees. I always feel like a kid at the table.
You shouldn't. Most of us feel 16 on the inside. Its just the bodies that are worn. :-)
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Most of us feel 16 on the inside. Its just the bodies that are worn. :-)
Ha..!

My wife keeps telling me, "when are you going to grow up..? Your kids are catching up with you"
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #31

Garage
We are all stating observation and my observation was that a lot of posters had issue with Porsche snobbery. As another poster said, this happens in all sort of endeavors. Cars are just one and by no means limited to Porsches. I am a big fan of 986’s and whatever snobbery I’ve seen has been easy to ignore. A further observation; happily, seems the friendlier the Porsche owner, the more they know. Hence, the more I learn. That’s a good deal all the way around.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #32

Garage
Oh, I like your cars Anker! Good choices all.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #33

It’s a Ford!

So, as a favor my wife and I picked up a friend of my mother-in-law a while back. We happened to be in my subtlety tricked out, mid 5 sec 0-60 2015 Explo Sport. We already knew that this woman cares more about status than breathing.

While seating herself, she remarked ‘what a great looking car, very nice, what kind is it?’ It’s a Ford, I cheerfully replied! She managed a kind of choking, dissapproving ‘oh’, made herself as invisible as possible to the outside world and didn’t say another word the entire trip. It was hilarious.

Haters gonna hate

There are lots of jerks out there, but there are a lot of great folks also (including many Porsche folks). Here’s to finding the good ones
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 12-04-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #34

Stop going to meetings. (Particularly meetings in Connecticut.)

Start going to track days.

You'll get plenty of respect, particularly when you're passing those 911s.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #35
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Everybody in our PCA group are very open, friendly and helpful. We have 356's all the way to new 911's. With 914's, 968's, 944's, Panamera's and a guy with a '16 Macan and another guy with a new Cayenne. Plenty of Boxsters in the mix also.

Some people like to keep score. And if they don't remind you of the score periodically, they start to feel inadequate.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #36
Certified Boxster Addict

Here are my Top 5 secrets to getting along well in a new crowd (whether its the PCA or the PTA, people are pretty much the same everywhere);

1. Make the first move. Be the first to say hi and introduce yourself.
2. Ask more questions about the other person than you answer about yourself. Ask about their car, how they bought it, why they bought that model, and what they like to do with it. Pay attention to what they actually say. Ask intelligent follow up questions that shows that you were paying attention. Don't say anything about yourself unless asked.
3. Mingle. Learn how to work a room (or a parking lot).
4. When asked about yourself, answer quickly with a funny anecdote or very short personal story. People will remember you better.
5. Smile a lot and laugh a bit (don't be too serious). Everyone likes being around someone who is happy and fun to be around.

Last, give it some time. It takes time to build relationships so attend several events and look to say hi to some of the same people each time. Before you know it, they will be looking to say hi to you too.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-04-2017 at 04:26 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #37

Ironically I have it coming from my friends who say "You should of at least got an S"

Umm...you've never even driven a Porsche, let alone a Boxster S, and you're telling me what I should buy?

I'm a franchised dealer by trade and have been involved in Porsche's all my life. It's astounding the snobbery by people who have never even owned a Porsche...and are telling the dealer what he should buy...when they drive a clapped out Toyota

Buying my Boxster wasn't a status symbol to impress the neighbors. It's what I wanted.
L1ttleBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #38

Come down to the south....all good here!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:37 AM   #39
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

What a great thread! Thought I'd throw in my $.02

I couldn't give two ****************s what anyone thinks of the cars I drive. lol.

There, just thought I'd share in an exercise of brevity.

Have a nice day.

The ***************** in shorthand should read f u c k s.

Thank you.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #40

great thread!

I was in Trader Joes parking lot on Sunday and I pulled up next to a beautiful 911 to park my beat up Boxster.

The guy got out of the car and stood there just giving me a scowl like I have not seen in a long time.

He was one of THOSE guys (you know the kind, with his shirt collar turned up) I was kind of dumb founded at how angry he looked that a guy with a car like mine would park next to him.

The nerve!

But boy, was I wrong on my judging by appearance.

He came over to me as I was getting out of the car and said, "You know what, my car may cost a lot more but yours is a lot more fun to drive. My kids gave me time at The Porsche Experience in LA and I got to drive a Boxster for the first time and I loved it. Now I want one, too and I'm wondering if you could recommend what year I should look for"

My jaw fell to the floor.
Turned out to be a really nice guy.

I wanted to ask him to put his collar down, but I didn't.

robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote