Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 06:29 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
great thread!

I was in Trader Joes parking lot on Sunday and I pulled up next to a beautiful 911 to park my beat up Boxster.

The guy got out of the car and stood there just giving me a scowl like I have not seen in a long time.

He was one of THOSE guys (you know the kind, with his shirt collar turned up) I was kind of dumb founded at how angry he looked that a guy with a car like mine would park next to him.

The nerve!

But boy, was I wrong on my judging by appearance.

He came over to me as I was getting out of the car and said, "You know what, my car may cost a lot more but yours is a lot more fun to drive. My kids gave me time at The Porsche Experience in LA and I got to drive a Boxster for the first time and I loved it. Now I want one, too and I'm wondering if you could recommend what year I should look for"

My jaw fell to the floor.
Turned out to be a really nice guy.

I wanted to ask him to put his collar down, but I didn't.
Ha good story, wish all were like that

2001 Boxster 986 S, 6spd, arctic silver, black interior with black rear glass top, 18" staggered black powder-coated Porsche twists, aftermarket exhaust, smoked headlights and taillights, 20mm rear hubcentric billet wheel spacers, 5mm front billet wheel spacers, de-snorkled, passenger airbag switch, 997 shifter upgrade, LN engineering dual row update, Koni FSD with H&R sport springs, Joe Toth composites rear duck tail spoiler.
marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #42

a couple times I would give a friendly wave to a guy driving a newer model a 991 or whatever they just look at me mostly and dont wave back, funny thing is they probably lease the car and dont even care about it other than its a status symbol.........sad.
2001 Boxster 986 S, 6spd, arctic silver, black interior with black rear glass top, 18" staggered black powder-coated Porsche twists, aftermarket exhaust, smoked headlights and taillights, 20mm rear hubcentric billet wheel spacers, 5mm front billet wheel spacers, de-snorkled, passenger airbag switch, 997 shifter upgrade, LN engineering dual row update, Koni FSD with H&R sport springs, Joe Toth composites rear duck tail spoiler.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #43
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoc View Post
... funny thing is they probably lease the car and dont even care about it other than its a status symbol.........sad.
Unfortunately, this is true more often than I wish it was.

I recently met a very successful woman who had just bought a brand new 2017 911 Turbo. When I asked her why she bought a Turbo instead of a GT-3 or a Targa, she replied, "Because it was the most expensive".

Bam! There it is, spoken out loud. To her credit, she wasn't trying to be an ass, she was simply answering the question. Rarely am I at a loss for words but this did it for me.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #44

You should have given him the Larry David stare while he was looking at you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
great thread!

I was in Trader Joes parking lot on Sunday and I pulled up next to a beautiful 911 to park my beat up Boxster.

The guy got out of the car and stood there just giving me a scowl like I have not seen in a long time.

He was one of THOSE guys (you know the kind, with his shirt collar turned up) I was kind of dumb founded at how angry he looked that a guy with a car like mine would park next to him.

The nerve!

But boy, was I wrong on my judging by appearance.

He came over to me as I was getting out of the car and said, "You know what, my car may cost a lot more but yours is a lot more fun to drive. My kids gave me time at The Porsche Experience in LA and I got to drive a Boxster for the first time and I loved it. Now I want one, too and I'm wondering if you could recommend what year I should look for"

My jaw fell to the floor.
Turned out to be a really nice guy.

I wanted to ask him to put his collar down, but I didn't.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #45
Boxster 986

Honestly, everything all comes down to you. Do what makes you happy, drive what makes you happy. 99.9% of the time those are the ones dropping ****************tons of cash down the drain to keep their pristine car clean while anyone else who enjoys them just says **************** it and drive.

(not saying skip the maintenance though, must keep your baby healthy :smile

We’re all the same in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #46
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
I am a 2004 Boxster S owner and a very active member of the PCA NER region, having done DE, AX, Tours, Concourse and training sessions. Not once have I run into any snobbery or looking down upon Boxsters. We have a great and welcoming group here, and I plan to do everything I can to keep it that way.

+1 Anker! Our region seems to open and accepting to all. I truly think I bring more of it on myself sometimes...that feeling that I’m not worthy to hang with people whose PCCB are likely worth more than my car...lol. But then I remember that you cannot measure the enthusiasm and enjoyment that I get out of my 986, and my smile is as big as someone who is driving something more valuable, rare, etc.

Now, I’m not saying there aren’t “look down their nose” people in the Porsche community - there always have been and always will be. Just ask the 914 guys, who are finally getting the respect they deserve. But, if someone shows this attitude to me, I just find the many others who don’t and spend time with them instead.

And, BTW, both Anker and I were made Board members in our club. So, no 986 discrimination there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #47
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Milwaukee region's last 3 president's cars:

944 track car, Cayman GTS
Cayman S
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomster1776 View Post
1st Gen Boxsters look down on all other Boxsters
Wait... are we doing this now? I didn't get the memo. When did this start?
2005 Ford F-150 Monster Truck
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
I've heard some looking down on 718s, but that's about it.

4cyl
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:05 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Never experienced a different reaction between my 993tt and my boxster. Especially at the track, the box always gets positive comments. Maybe the wrong crowd, try the guys who autox or de, they seem to be less snobby
Always find that the people who actually "drive" their cars always are better company no matter the marque.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:06 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
I tend to find that's the other way round tbh.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:43 AM   #52

Nice to see a healthy conversation about a topic that most agree on in some way or another. I see some regions are more friendly than others. As far as 986 hate I think any "entry" level car in a what most consider a prestige marque will always be looked down on no matter what. I enjoy my 986 even if its no 991 Turbo although I won't lie I really want a Carrera someday
Old 12-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoc View Post
I am fairly quite on all forums I belong to, with a 5 year old and 5 month old my time is taken up but I needed to say something and see if others get the same. I have owned my 2001 Boxster S for 2 years now (64k miles). I always loved Porsche and wanted one so when I saw the Boxster prices under $15k for an S in pretty good shape I decided to sell my 1999 Mustang Cobra and look for a Boxster. I did many repairs and upgrades and the my car is pretty well sorted now, mostly completed by me. I have been a PCA member and attended some meetings/events but not everyone, who has time for that? So here is my rant- I am 36 years old but l could pass for 30 and I feel the Boxster hate from other Porsche guys. Sorry I cant afford a GT3 and spend 5 grand on seat stitching but I am an enthusiast. To me I like 924's to 964's and all are Porsches no matter what. I seem to get the cold shoulder from many other Porsche owners, honestly they say Porsche owners are snobs and I see it. The Mustangs guys are alot more accepting as are Toyota guys (another interest of mine). I didnt buy the car for hanging out with other owners but the camaraderie is part of the ownership of a marque. Is it because I look young? Is it because I drive a $15k Boxster? Whats up with PCA members at least in my region? I have tried talking to guys at meetings and some are cool but the majority aren't. Will the 986 hate every go away?:ah:
At the end of the day, all that matters is the car you are proud to own; the one living in your garage.
wgirardot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #54

Garage
Quote:
Some what "tongue in cheek".
911 folks look down on all "non-911" models with the 996 being on the bottom of the pecking order.
996's look down on 986's.
1st Gen Boxsters look down on all other Boxsters
TT 'ers look down on all other 911's
air/oli coolers look down on the "water" cooled (and there is a pecking order within the air/oil cooled folks, someone else will have to clarify)
356'ers look down on every one
people who race look down on the unwashed masses

(Opinions based on 50+ years of owning roadsters and being ridiculed for my choices)(lots of smiley faces)

But we all love our cars... and isn't that all that matters?
We have the same tongue in check pecking order for Jeeps. With the square headlight out ones being at the bottom - forever.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:26 AM   #55

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
We have the same tongue in check pecking order for Jeeps. With the square headlight out ones being at the bottom - forever.
Love it, jeep guy myself. There's definitely a pecking order with Jeeps as well, although I'm finding more acceptance of the YJ's over the 4dr JK's these days. The guys with the newest JK's, dripping with lifted chrome at the grocery store seem to be the ones who feel they are top of chain. The real jeep enthusiasts (driving the rusty, trail scarred beasts) are the only ones I find myself having great conversations with. Seems boxster owners and old jeep owners have a lot in common. I'm sure it's the same with all enthusiasts not matter what your flavor is.
bockster75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:52 AM   #56

In my experience, most of the guys - because it's always guys - who hate on the Boxster, call it "not a real Porsche" and so on, very rarely own a Porsche themselves.
In Porsche Club Sweden, I've never met that attitude. I've had owners of 991 GT3s and air cooled 911s take an interest in my humble Boxster just as much as I'm interested in theirs.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:14 AM   #57

Like I said Tongue in cheek. It's probably only me who believe that the Gen1 Boxsters were the 'best' Boxsters
zoomster1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #58

Garage
Very happy with my 99 986 168,000 miles needs a paint job if you know a paint shop in central Florida let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #59
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
No, when your right, you're right. Go with it. Long live the Fried Eggs and Amber Side Markers.

Quote:
Like I said Tongue in cheek. It's probably only me who believe that the Gen1 Boxsters were the 'best' Boxsters
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #60

Garage
This really is a funny thread. The 914 is only just peering over the edge of acceptance after nearly 50 years! You're just gonna have to have some patience cause the rear axle boys are ahead of us, it might be a while. But then acceptance is NOT why I drive mine.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote