Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

IMS Bearing option comparison

I'm planning to have the IMS bearing in my '02 Tip replaced in the next few months. I'll be using a certified installer recommended by LN. I've spoken to the guy, and know he'll do right by my car.

Wondering what you guys think of the LN Retrofit vs. the LN Solution? For the difference of $1000 more in cost, and (presuming) the mechanic fees will be similar, the obvious choice would be the Solution. It's good for the life of the engine, and seems like it'd add value if/when time comes to sell the car. The next owner won't have to contend with it.

But for that same extra $1K, I can buy the Retrofit bearing a second time, after the recommended 75K miles. But with a 75K miles or 6-year advertised life expectancy, I don't know that I'll ever put 75K on my Boxster. So the six year span would hit first. This pushes me back toward the Solution.

But am I missing something? What is your experience?

Dave

Old 10-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It's really not an easy call for me. Being a Tiptronic that is not going to be having the clutch replaced periodically, I'd go with the Solution. One-and-done.
Manual, I'd take the Retrofit and probably change it again with the clutch.
(More discussion I could get into, but I'll withhold further comment for now. IMS threads need time to brew.)
Old 10-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Why...

...choose a option that requires you to put the car in a shop AGAIN?

I have the "Solution" and 20,000 miles later am happy as a clam.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:41 AM   #4

Is the time period valid? It's a piece of metal, not lettuce. Any thoughts on the warranty life for the retro. I did the retro when I did the clutch. Won't do again until I need another clutch. Whether it's fool's gold or not, I don't think about the IMS anymore. It's just a maintenance item.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNW View Post
I'm planning to have the IMS bearing in my '02 Tip replaced in the next few months. I'll be using a certified installer recommended by LN. I've spoken to the guy, and know he'll do right by my car.

Wondering what you guys think of the LN Retrofit vs. the LN Solution? For the difference of $1000 more in cost, and (presuming) the mechanic fees will be similar, the obvious choice would be the Solution. It's good for the life of the engine, and seems like it'd add value if/when time comes to sell the car. The next owner won't have to contend with it.

But for that same extra $1K, I can buy the Retrofit bearing a second time, after the recommended 75K miles. But with a 75K miles or 6-year advertised life expectancy, I don't know that I'll ever put 75K on my Boxster. So the six year span would hit first. This pushes me back toward the Solution.

But am I missing something? What is your experience?

Dave
Get the Solution. We have done several, and I have them in both of my personal cars. We have never had a problem with any of them, and some customers have put a lot of miles on theirs, way beyond the change intervals recommended for the ceramic hybrids. Customers that had them done and then sold the cars years later featured the Solution in the sale and noted informed buyers appreciated the installations and got higher asking prices when compared to similar cars without the retrofit. The fact that the Solution is a “forever” installation does not go unnoticed.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:12 AM   #6

Garage
Well this may set fire to something but do a google search for "Sourcing Your Own Porsche IMS Bearing" Just info that may help you make a decision.

marck is offline   Reply With Quote