View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
DaveNW

IMS Bearing option comparison

I'm planning to have the IMS bearing in my '02 Tip replaced in the next few months. I'll be using a certified installer recommended by LN. I've spoken to the guy, and know he'll do right by my car.

Wondering what you guys think of the LN Retrofit vs. the LN Solution? For the difference of $1000 more in cost, and (presuming) the mechanic fees will be similar, the obvious choice would be the Solution. It's good for the life of the engine, and seems like it'd add value if/when time comes to sell the car. The next owner won't have to contend with it.

But for that same extra $1K, I can buy the Retrofit bearing a second time, after the recommended 75K miles. But with a 75K miles or 6-year advertised life expectancy, I don't know that I'll ever put 75K on my Boxster. So the six year span would hit first. This pushes me back toward the Solution.

But am I missing something? What is your experience?

Dave