986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   IMS Bearing option comparison (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69735)

DaveNW 10-27-2017 06:57 PM

IMS Bearing option comparison

I'm planning to have the IMS bearing in my '02 Tip replaced in the next few months. I'll be using a certified installer recommended by LN. I've spoken to the guy, and know he'll do right by my car.

Wondering what you guys think of the LN Retrofit vs. the LN Solution? For the difference of $1000 more in cost, and (presuming) the mechanic fees will be similar, the obvious choice would be the Solution. It's good for the life of the engine, and seems like it'd add value if/when time comes to sell the car. The next owner won't have to contend with it.

But for that same extra $1K, I can buy the Retrofit bearing a second time, after the recommended 75K miles. But with a 75K miles or 6-year advertised life expectancy, I don't know that I'll ever put 75K on my Boxster. So the six year span would hit first. This pushes me back toward the Solution.

But am I missing something? What is your experience?

Dave

78F350 10-27-2017 07:24 PM

It's really not an easy call for me. Being a Tiptronic that is not going to be having the clutch replaced periodically, I'd go with the Solution. One-and-done.
Manual, I'd take the Retrofit and probably change it again with the clutch.
(More discussion I could get into, but I'll withhold further comment for now. IMS threads need time to brew.)
:cheers:

10/10ths 10-27-2017 07:41 PM

Why...

...choose a option that requires you to put the car in a shop AGAIN?

I have the "Solution" and 20,000 miles later am happy as a clam.

DWBOX2000 10-28-2017 04:41 AM

Is the time period valid? It's a piece of metal, not lettuce. Any thoughts on the warranty life for the retro. I did the retro when I did the clutch. Won't do again until I need another clutch. Whether it's fool's gold or not, I don't think about the IMS anymore. It's just a maintenance item.

JFP in PA 10-28-2017 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNW (Post 553685)
I'm planning to have the IMS bearing in my '02 Tip replaced in the next few months. I'll be using a certified installer recommended by LN. I've spoken to the guy, and know he'll do right by my car.

Wondering what you guys think of the LN Retrofit vs. the LN Solution? For the difference of $1000 more in cost, and (presuming) the mechanic fees will be similar, the obvious choice would be the Solution. It's good for the life of the engine, and seems like it'd add value if/when time comes to sell the car. The next owner won't have to contend with it.

But for that same extra $1K, I can buy the Retrofit bearing a second time, after the recommended 75K miles. But with a 75K miles or 6-year advertised life expectancy, I don't know that I'll ever put 75K on my Boxster. So the six year span would hit first. This pushes me back toward the Solution.

But am I missing something? What is your experience?

Dave

Get the Solution. We have done several, and I have them in both of my personal cars. We have never had a problem with any of them, and some customers have put a lot of miles on theirs, way beyond the change intervals recommended for the ceramic hybrids. Customers that had them done and then sold the cars years later featured the Solution in the sale and noted informed buyers appreciated the installations and got higher asking prices when compared to similar cars without the retrofit. The fact that the Solution is a “forever” installation does not go unnoticed.

marck 10-28-2017 05:12 AM

Well this may set fire to something but do a google search for "Sourcing Your Own Porsche IMS Bearing" Just info that may help you make a decision.