Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #1

Boxster Purchase if accident reported?

Simple question for the group. If Carfax reports an accident for a Boxster S, or any vehicle you are considering buying, would you immediately walk or would you consider the purchase? I am thinking to walk unless you do not care about resale value and are willing to take some risk. Am I correct? Your thoughts please.

Gkk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I buy lots of cars like that. The resale value is effected BEFORE I buy it. It is not a risk I would take without a lot of foreknowledge and care, but for me the risk has paid off well overall.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #3

2 seater sports cars are lifestyle vehicles. They can be daily drivers, or weekend fun cars, and everything in between. People buy them and suddenly life changes - getting married, having a baby, lose a job, find out a 2 seater is impractical. If you buy a car with accident history and you suddenly have to sell because of any of these reasons, you'll take a bath because potential buyers will think you're really just unloading a lemon. If you're certain you can keep it for many yrs (4+), then accident history becomes less of an issue. If you're buying it because the lowered price is the only way you can afford a Porsche, it would be better to save up a few more dollars or buy one a few yrs older that has a better past.

You haven't described what the damage was. A fender bender or totaled and rebuilt?

If you decide to pursue purchasing it, have it carefully examined by a professional to be sure the repair was done properly. For every 1 good body shop, there are 4-5 sketchy ones.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #4

Also my limited experience with CarFax is that a CarFax may say a car was rear-ended and not give any indication if it was just a bumper cover repair/respray or a lot more. And if someone without collision insurance pays the cost of an auto body repair, will it necessarily appear on CarFax?
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #5

Not a deal breaker for me at all.
Would you you able to tell that the car was involved in an accident if it wasn't reported?

These are old cars.....minor boo-boo's are just signs the car's been driven (good thing) and repaired (even better thing).
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #6

A little more info

This is turning into some good discussion.

Adding some info, looking at 3 Boxster S vehicles in Atlanta area, all 3 have Carfax accidents. One from NY where they will not state any details. Other 2 are FL cars with some generalities reported. Enough to get me to at least look at the cars tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #7

Mine had a fender bender before I purchased it

It did not stop me, the fender had been replaced and the work was perfect. I was more concerned about the maintenance records which were in good order. Unless the car had a salvage title and or terrible body work it would and did not stop me. Most of the time these days I see complete fenders, Hoods or door panels replaced....I think the days of bondo and cardboard are pretty much over at this point.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
It did not stop me, the fender had been replaced and the work was perfect. I was more concerned about the maintenance records which were in good order. Unless the car had a salvage title and or terrible body work it would and did not stop me. Most of the time these days I see complete fenders, Hoods or door panels replaced....I think the days of bondo and cardboard are pretty much over at this point.
Same here. I purchase my car in 2008 and it had a front end accident in 2002 or 2003 with no air bag deployment. I couldn't find any evidence from the event.

My car also shows a rear end 'collision' during my ownership. I couldn't figure it out! Then I remembered...I let one of my boys go pick up his prom date. While at a stoplight, the lady behind him, who was stopped, took her foot off the brake and bump the rear of the car. My son did what he'd been instructed to do, he called the police to report the accident. He was petrified! No insurance claim was filed and I didn't even ask the lady to pay for the damage as it was so minor. I replace a black bumper guard with a used one for $30. No paint or physical damage to the bumper itself.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #9

Just my 2 cents...

I probably wouldn't buy a Boxster if I didn't get the maintenance history with it. If Carfax showed an accident, I'd ask the seller for the paperwork from the accident to determine where it was hit, how badly it was damaged, and where it was repaired. Then I'd give the car a good Mark I eyeball check to verify that it was fixed properly before getting a thorough PPI.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:03 AM   #10

Garage
My main concern would be use of non-galvanized steel to make the repair. I have seen posts here of cars with a small rusty patch where this had been done.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #11

Put me in the category of people who will not even look at a car for sale if the Carfax shows an accident history. Seen too many bad repairs or problems that show up years later (body filler, peeling clear coat). Body shops too often cut corners or fix things to a price point, rather than fixing them back to original condition.

I understand, though, that an accident reported on Carfax doesn't mean anything in regard to the severity or nature of the incident. But it's just not worth my time to sort out the few minor boo-boos from all the rolling wrecks.

However, if the car is just a cheap beater, then no problem.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #12

I sold my Boxster years after a rear end collision that resulted in no body damage, no alignment or suspension damage, just the bumper shocks, crossbar, cover and bumperettes. Several years after, you couldn't tell anything had happened except the bumperettes had been painted to match by Eric and they were a perfect match.

So was the buyer concerned? Not one bit. I did disclose and provided the repair bill.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #13

Great answers

This has been an education for me, I really appreciate the numerous answers and am surprised at the diverse opinions but no matter what position one takes, I now see there are good reasons on both sides of this issue.
I looked at 2 of these cars today and did not like either so the accident history turned out for naught.

I test drove a new 718 S and holy moly, what a great car. i loved it.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:31 AM   #14

I think it's a buyiny opportunity simply because the car fax itself is inconclusive yet it reduces the total number of buyers. I had two incidents where the car was not moving. The first was in a gas station where a car went into reverse without looking behind him and dented the hood and cracked the housing on the headlight just enough to require replacement. I called the police and it turns out it was an off duty cop driving the other car. The second incident was when I parked on the street and as I climbed out an old lady driving too close to the parked cars clipped the edge of the open door. Again I called the police because this lady was livid screaming that it was my fault for not looking before I opened the door. The cop shows up in a foul mood and starts laying into the old lady telling her she's not supposed to be anywhere near the parked cars on such a wide street. She accuses the cop of beings friends with me and tells her retired cop husband to come down. He shows up and wisely doesn't say a word. Lol.
Point being both of these incidents would not be reported as just minor parkint lot incidents on Carfax. You have to see the car in person and get it up on the lift to see if there is evidence of a major repair that was reported or NOT reported.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #15

...Not to mention the big events that never show up on carfax...
We owned a 2006 Explorer limited a while back....During our ownership,
1. We were rear ended while stopped at a light....~$4K damage. Showed up on CARFAX as police were called.

2. Teenage son put the car on its side on a country road at 2AM (don't ask). Entire passenger side of vehicle damages and side air bags deployed. The boy got the car back on its feet and tried to drive it until it was apparent that two driver side tires were flat from putting the car back upright. No police involvement as event happened way out in the country. After putting a couple of tires on the car, I was able to drive it home. Insurance called and $10K later, we have the car back (it should have been totaled).
Event does not show up on CARFAX

3. Wife has a deer run into the front of the car during the middle of the day while running about 60mph. Grill, radiator, windshield, hood, steering column are replaced along with drivers air bag, which deployed. $8,600 in repairs and once again, car not totaled.
Event does not show up on CARFAX

You get the idea....

Last edited by dghii; 09-04-2017 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #16

About 15 years ago, a 5" rotten tree limb dropped on my 01S as I was driving down the road at 30 mph. The windshield cracked and every body panel except the passenger door had scratches or modest dents. The litronics, brake lights and turn signals were spared. There was no underlying structural damage. $8k later with a complete repaint and I was back on the road. Perhaps purists would true away from purchasing my car, but today jaws drop with I tell them the car is 16 years old. It looks virtually new.

Last edited by thom4782; 09-04-2017 at 07:29 PM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote