Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 37
New Member

Just negotiated a deal on a new 2006 Boxster. Am trading (and getting killed) on a 2005 Corvette. The Corvette had to go. Last summer it took me 5 trips to the dealer to get the AC compressor replaced... no AC all summer, and record temps here in Upstate NY. This year my battery goes dead at least once a week. It's a known electrical problem with no known fix offered by GM. I never know if the car will start.

Here's hoping the Boxster will be more reliable and more fun.

Unfortunately the dealer has already drilled out all the front bumper for thier ugly License plate bracket (with advertisement). Anybody know of a source where I can pick up a clean mount for the plate? Have not run a front plate on my Vette. It's required in NYS. But I have never had a problem.

Now my problem is two holes in my Boxsters bumper.

Glad to come aboard...

RevDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 191
Plug those holes. Go to your friendly Porsche dealer and buy two plastic plugs (#999-703-432-40) Paint those little buggers and presto.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminhouston
Plug those holes. Go to your friendly Porsche dealer and buy two plastic plugs (#999-703-432-40) Paint those little buggers and presto.
That's the plan... thanks for the advice Norm
RevDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 983
welcome to the forum.

Please post your initial thoughts on Porsche ownership - I am looking forward to hearing your perspective as a former Corvette owner.
__________________
Happy Motoring!... Timí05

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 14
I went ahead a got silver plates with the Porsche emblem on it instead of plugging the holes.

It looks sweet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDice
Just negotiated a deal on a new 2006 Boxster. Am trading (and getting killed) on a 2005 Corvette. The Corvette had to go. Last summer it took me 5 trips to the dealer to get the AC compressor replaced... no AC all summer, and record temps here in Upstate NY. This year my battery goes dead at least once a week. It's a known electrical problem with no known fix offered by GM. I never know if the car will start.

Here's hoping the Boxster will be more reliable and more fun.

Unfortunately the dealer has already drilled out all the front bumper for thier ugly License plate bracket (with advertisement). Anybody know of a source where I can pick up a clean mount for the plate? Have not run a front plate on my Vette. It's required in NYS. But I have never had a problem.

Now my problem is two holes in my Boxsters bumper.

Glad to come aboard...
__________________
"What does not kill me, makes me stronger."
- Friedrich Nietzsche,
Twilight of the Idols, 1888
http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/lic...0043_82722.jpg
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North New Jersey
Posts: 440
Bumperplugs.com
__________________
Marc Gelefsky
02 996 Carrera Coupe 6 Speed Aero
86 911 Carrera Targa

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 37
I'll def post an update on my driving experiences as compared to the Corvette. The test drive was impressive even with the huge horsepower difference. First impressions... the Porsche definitely feels tighter with a more rigid chassis (better to carve up the twisties)... and better fit and finish insde and out.

Hey Kaizen... could you post a link to the plate you're talking about?

I don't have the car yet and those pre-drilled dealer holes in the front have me OCD'ing bad.
RevDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Marc...
Thanks for the post. I'll be able to sleep tonight.
RevDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
boggtown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The dealer I go to sells a chrome license plate frame that said "Porsche" or "Boxster", so I asked how much it was, and the guy said $80. I almost crapped my pants, so I asked him what made it so special, and he pointed to the word Porsche.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:53 AM   #10
Registered User
 
ohioboxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Akron
Posts: 793
Welcome, I too came from GM to Porsche and noticed right away less body squeeks. Im curious also about the transition and how you will feel about it in time.
__________________
2002 TT
ohioboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,241
Kaizen, please allow me to live vicariously through you by taking your new boxster on a short drive to the Tail of the Dragon the second you get through your break in period.

That's gonna give you a perma-grin for sure!
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Welcome, I too came from GM to Porsche and noticed right away less body squeeks. Im curious also about the transition and how you will feel about it in time.

I'm definately through with GM. I know every car company and car will always have issues to deal with, but after all the problems with past Chevy's (Corvette) and Cadillacs and a dealer network that seems, at times, less service oriented than a teenager at a Burger King, I'm moving on to German engineering.

My leased business car is an Audi A4 Quattro (bullit proof so far) and on to the Porsche which I'll pick-up this Monday. I'm giving up the horse but at the test drive it really didn't feel like it. The Porsche felt much more like a drivers car... more in touch with the road than the Vette. And that flat six sounds incredible. The Corvette in contrast had no such sports car sound... big and no road feel through the steering wheel (when it was running).
RevDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #13
olly986
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
revdice i would like to welcome you to our lovely forum, our moderator here is brucelee and what a nice chap he is, unfortunately he won't be happy about your corvette statement, best thing since sliced bread!!

Well i really enjoyed my no problems 2 boxsters so far and hope you will have the same enjoyment driving yours (as most of us do).

congrats on your new car and stuff the corvette
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
revdice i would like to welcome you to our lovely forum, our moderator here is brucelee and what a nice chap he is, unfortunately he won't be happy about your corvette statement, best thing since sliced bread!!

Well i really enjoyed my no problems 2 boxsters so far and hope you will have the same enjoyment driving yours (as most of us do).

congrats on your new car and stuff the corvette
Ya know, the Vette is a nice car. Big bang for the buck. I'm just very disillusioned with the myriad of problems I had and GM's lack of responsiveness. Right now I'm dealing with the significant depreciation hit I took on a car I would have kept had it not been for significant reliability issues... with no fix in sight.

GM customer service actually told me that I should have asked when I purchased the car (brand new... no miles) if there were any problems with it. Kind of a buyer beware philosophy. Then six months to replace a fried AC compressor... all this on thier flagship vehicle.

Anyway it was fun when it was running... now onto the Boxster. It's been a long weekend. Monday at noon, after I pick it up, I'm hoping it will cure all my woes.

Last edited by RevDice; 07-22-2006 at 05:37 PM.
RevDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
revdice i would like to welcome you to our lovely forum, our moderator here is brucelee and what a nice chap he is, unfortunately he won't be happy about your corvette statement, best thing since sliced bread!!

Well i really enjoyed my no problems 2 boxsters so far and hope you will have the same enjoyment driving yours (as most of us do).

congrats on your new car and stuff the corvette
Why don't you let me speak for myself and I will let you speak for yourself.

BTW, the first word in an English sentence will require the use of a capital letter, ie, I not i.

Lesson #1.

Read and learn!
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Do you have a Lemon Law in your locality? Seems to me, you may have been able to require GM to buy your car back if they could not fix it. That would have been the case here in California.




Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDice
Just negotiated a deal on a new 2006 Boxster. Am trading (and getting killed) on a 2005 Corvette. The Corvette had to go. Last summer it took me 5 trips to the dealer to get the AC compressor replaced... no AC all summer, and record temps here in Upstate NY. This year my battery goes dead at least once a week. It's a known electrical problem with no known fix offered by GM. I never know if the car will start.

Here's hoping the Boxster will be more reliable and more fun.

Unfortunately the dealer has already drilled out all the front bumper for thier ugly License plate bracket (with advertisement). Anybody know of a source where I can pick up a clean mount for the plate? Have not run a front plate on my Vette. It's required in NYS. But I have never had a problem.

Now my problem is two holes in my Boxsters bumper.

Glad to come aboard...
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Do you have a Lemon Law in your locality? Seems to me, you may have been able to require GM to buy your car back if they could not fix it. That would have been the case here in California.
Yes we do have a lemon law. I started to fill arbitration papers when GM finally agreed to replace the compressor. After finally checking the compressor, the service tech discovered it had no PAG oil in it... either burned or not filled at the factory. I felt it was the compressor all along, but my dealer just didn't believe it.

Now after a year of ownership they are suggesting my sut down procedure is wrong. The car needs to be placed in reversed (2005) when shutting down... I do this religiously. They have replaced the battery, which solves the problem temporarily. All this to avoid Lemon Lawing the car. Each battery keeps draining completely (this issue is often discussed on the Corvette forum, so it's not unique to my car).

The process to actually get GM to compensate me for the value (after depreciation) is unbelivably hard here in NY. GM has already stated that they would not replace the car.

The hassle has been enough to motivate me to get rid of the car. I was completely happy with it for about a month... it was a blast.
RevDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Smile

That's too bad. In CA, they have three tries at the same issue. No repair, they buy the car back.

I guess NY is not so tough on these guys.
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North New Jersey
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDice
I'm definately through with GM. I know every car company and car will always have issues to deal with, but after all the problems with past Chevy's (Corvette) and Cadillacs and a dealer network that seems, at times, less service oriented than a teenager at a Burger King, I'm moving on to German engineering.

My leased business car is an Audi A4 Quattro (bullit proof so far) and on to the Porsche which I'll pick-up this Monday. I'm giving up the horse but at the test drive it really didn't feel like it. The Porsche felt much more like a drivers car... more in touch with the road than the Vette. And that flat six sounds incredible. The Corvette in contrast had no such sports car sound... big and no road feel through the steering wheel (when it was running).
I guess any car can have it's issues, I had an Audi S4, it was a great car but spent alot of time in the service department; the Audi dealers around here have some really lousy service departments, I could live with a car that had some issues but the Audi service (or lack of) is what frustrated me and caused me to get rid of it.
__________________
Marc Gelefsky
02 996 Carrera Coupe 6 Speed Aero
86 911 Carrera Targa

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I guess any car can have it's issues, I had an Audi S4, it was a great car but spent alot of time in the service department; the Audi dealers around here have some really lousy service departments, I could live with a car that had some issues but the Audi service (or lack of) is what frustrated me and caused me to get rid of it.
You're right Marc. Dealers have alot to do with how you feel about a company. The industry in general has some real issue. Good dealers should be the norm... not the exception... Glad I don't run my business through a dealer network. It's hard enough managing the employees I have.

I'm knocking wood right now... hope the Audi stays trouble free.

RevDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page