Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #1

Consensus on lighting options?

For those of us not blessed with Litronics, what other options are there? I have the DRL hack with LED bulbs in the driving light and notice that they 'burn' a very different color than my main headlights (much brighter) ... so what things can be done? I read that in the past, Fred has manufactured some very cool lights but I gather that's not an 'always available' option. Are there other considerations, bulbs etc. I could try? I'm just wondering what option has been proven to work, to get you close to Litronic type light?

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2017, 03:26 AM   #2

Has anyone tried, or had any success with HID lighting kits?

https://www.xenonhids.com/low-beam-h7-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html?m=2001+Porsche+Boxster&gclid=COK85Ijz3dQCFQIOaQodCqICJw
Old 06-27-2017, 03:55 AM   #3

Following, as I have the same question.

I've seen some scary stuff about certain ballasts exploding or running to hot and burning the lights, and sometimes the paint. Not good.
agrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:57 AM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Wait for Fred's lights. There is no better option in my opinion.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:34 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I have a set of Fred's (Vivo) in one car and love them. One of my '99s has Litronics, good lights. I still have two other cars with Halogen, one of which has significant lens burn. On my long list of future projects is pulling components from scrapped Audi headlights, either A4 or A8, and integrating them into some extra Boxster headlights I have on hand. From casually looking at it, it seems fairly simple other than fitting and securing the projectors.
The problem with most of the the cheap HID conversion kits is that they do not come with a projector to focus the beam.
Complete used Audi HID headlights can be found on eBay for about $100 each side.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Wait for Fred's lights. There is no better option in my opinion.
+1,000! Contact Fred (Nine8Six) and tell him you want to be on the list for his next run of projectors. While you're waiting you can read the full story in this thread in the DIY section.
Attached Images

Last edited by PaulE; 06-27-2017 at 05:45 AM.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #7

Here's all the options I can think of, in order of easy to hard (mostly)...

* Phillips WhiteVision H7 bulbs (or similar) - brighter and whiter than your old H7 bulbs. I tried these and they were, but not by much, don't expect much. Pros : drop in replacement. Cons: don't believe the ads.

* New/Used Litronics - Pros: the real thing (tm), easy - pop your old ones out and these in, maybe resell your old ones? Cons : expensive (used) or crazy expensive (new). Old tech. Still won't have the fancy auto level or washers if your car didn't have them originally.

* Single bulb xenon (as per you link) - replace just the low beam with a xenon bulb. Pros: proper xenon light, not too hard to install, should fit in old bulb holder ok. Cons: Only replaces your low beams, still looks like the old lights (but whiter/brighter), may start to burn your lenses, have to start chopping holes in the back of your lights for the cables to go through & mount the box somewhere on the outside of the housing. Also most importantly you won't have a projector so you'll be dazzling oncoming motorists with your unfocused death beams!

.... from here on in you're into baking and opening your headlights... if you're not up for that stop now! All these options are about the same level of difficulty, and ranked more on final results...

* Chinesium BiXenon HID kit from AliExpress etc - cheap tacky plastic mass produced kits from China. BiXenon replaces both your high and low beams in one unit, giving the 'new' lights look. Loads of options for projectors to give them various looks. Pros: cheap, loads of options for styling. Cons : cheap = can look tacky, have to open your lights, may have to get crafty with a dremel to make them fit in the lights properly... and most importantly you get what you pay for and these are generally pretty damn cheap... sure Nine8Six can chime in here on the dangers of your whole car going up in smoke when these fail.

* Morimoto Mini-H1 kit ... the same as above but better quality control basically. Bit more expensive but less likely to go bang. Will still have to do the same dremmel work to get them to fit as they are 'generic'. These are what the chinese manufacturers all copy.

* Nine8Six's headlights ... basically as above but better... you've probably already salivated over the 500 page thread and all the sexy pics... they are still a BiXenon HID kit but custom made for our cars so they fit perfectly and look classy, while using high quality electronics and metal shrouds that hopefully won't try to turn your car to ash when you turn your back. Cons : he's not currently making them, if you want them let him know and wait patiently like the rest of us for the next round... and hope he doesn't get sent to jail or almost die again before then ...

So that's it really, it all depends on what you're going for and how much work you want to put in. Opening your headlights to do a BiXenon HID install isn't for the faint hearted (they aint cheap these lights!) but it's also not that hard. And despite all the warnings about the cheap Chinese ones being rubbish, I've had a set in mine for about 6 months and I'm still here (touch wood)... although I also have another set of lights tucked in a box waiting for Nine8Six to get back to the lab and work more of his magic....

Last edited by oldskool73; 06-27-2017 at 06:42 AM.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
HID's in reflector housings are a very bad idea. They spray light everywhere but where you really need it and blind oncoming drivers. Just say no.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/please-stop-installing-aftermarket-hid-headlights-258582

Why adding a HID kit to your car with reflector housings makes you a ricer… | SOUTHRNFRESH

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
* New/Used Litronics - Pros: the real thing (tm), easy - pop your old ones out and these in, maybe resell your old ones? Cons : expensive (used) or crazy expensive (new). Old tech. Still won't have the fancy auto level or washers if your car didn't have them originally.
I managed to retrofit the leveling system - You can find instructions here (the document is too big for the 986Forum): https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/44528-litronic-retrofit-question/?page=3#comment-265333 Some have suggested you can also retrofit the washer system, but I haven't tried that.

You may want to attempt to find a used set of litronics in rough shape and repair them:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
Here's all the options I can think of, in order of easy to hard (mostly)...

Thank you for the comprehensive guide on this! It's very helpful to a newbie. I didn't realize about the self leveling mechanism did not come with the Litronics ... and is the washer necessary? I won't be driving this past the fall .... I will be patient and get in the queue. You made me do a spit take on Nine8Six's potential for survival! I'll send him positive thoughts

Cheers!
Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
HID's in reflector housings are a very bad idea. They spray light everywhere but where you really need it and blind oncoming drivers. Just say no.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/please-stop-installing-aftermarket-hid-headlights-258582

Why adding a HID kit to your car with reflector housings makes you a ricer… | SOUTHRNFRESH

Ah, I didn't realize that the diffuser would work so poorly ... thank you for the picture to illustrate.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #12

I love this forum - I'm usually the lone voice arguing against HID plug'n'pray kit usage.

Nine8Six's offerings are sublime.

His web site has fallen by the wayside somewhere along the line, which is a pity as it was very nice! Hopefully he won't mind me posting a link to an archived version of it, it's just that much fun seeing all the design options he had available.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150717003133/http://www.gtprojectors.com:80/

Also, the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GTProjectors/

Last edited by TrumpyAl; 06-27-2017 at 08:05 PM.
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
On my long list of future projects is pulling components from scrapped Audi headlights, either A4 or A8, and integrating them into some extra Boxster headlights I have on hand. From casually looking at it, it seems fairly simple other than fitting and securing the projectors.
The problem with most of the the cheap HID conversion kits is that they do not come with a projector to focus the beam.
Complete used Audi HID headlights can be found on eBay for about $100 each side.
Do you have any further info on the best model / year etc for the Audis? Sounds an interesting way.
Has anyone done it?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #14

I chose the Mini H1 Projector HID Retrofit. It does require DIY work but totally worth it in my opinion. I am finishing mine up today. In progress pics.
BTW, Fred's design and execution look great. As a DIY you appreciate more of his work once you bake open the lights

redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote