Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #1

Change oil or wait?

Just want to see people's opinions on how often to change oil....

So it's been 7 months since my last oil change and I've put on 1100 miles and using DT40 with a LN IMS double row ceramic replacement.

When should I change? Now or 12 months? How many miles?

I think people are working on a 6 month 3000 or 5000 miles which ever comes first.

What do people use and why? It seems at only 1100 miles, it would be a waste to change oil now.

Fyeganeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

As the proverb goes.....

....Oil is cheap.

Engines are expensive.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Unless you are tracking the car regularly, keep it simple, change the oil annually or between 3,500-5,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #4

Garage
Piggybacking on the question: with an oil change at these intervals, is synthetic still worth the premium or just use Dino oil ?
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #5

Don't change your oil after only 1100 miles of street use. You're fine.

Drive your car more!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

Oil analysis is the best way to answer your question .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Don't change your oil after only 1100 miles of street use. You're fine.

Drive your car more!
At face value I disagree, 1100 miles in 7 months is roughly 40 miles a week which is worst case for oil use. Frequent short trips never brings the fluids up to operating temp long enough to boil off contaminates. This is considered severe duty and actually requires shorter oil change intervals.
Now if you've only driven twice for 550miles in 7 months then the year interval is fine.
Get out and drive the car more!

Definitely get the oil analysis done.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
At face value I disagree, 1100 miles in 7 months is roughly 40 miles a week which is worst case for oil use. Frequent short trips never brings the fluids up to operating temp long enough to boil off contaminates. This is considered severe duty and actually requires shorter oil change intervals.
Now if you've only driven twice for 550miles in 7 months then the year interval is fine.
Get out and drive the car more!

Definitely get the oil analysis done.
Well I didn't drive it over the winter and I drive about 15 minutes to work - 6.5 miles -and same back home. The temp gets up to the 180 mark but only for about 5 minutes each way. Longer distances are rarer - once a month or longer.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Holy crap!!!!

DUDE....If you are only firing her up and driving her 15 minutes at a time, you MUST change the oil every 6 months.

Your oil is not getting hot enough to burn out the impurities that accumulate from piston ring blow-by. Your rings don't get hot enough to completely seat the cylinder walls in fifteen minutes, so every time you drive that car for such a short period, you are loading the oil with exhaust contaminants.

These contaminants sit in the sump and acidify overnight as the air cools and condensation forms, leading to acid in the sump which is eating away at your engine right this minute. You are creating an acidic fluid that is inside your sump and eating every bit of metal like a cancer. You need to drive her for at least thirty minutes at a time once a week and burn that stuff outta there.

And change your oil every six months.

Oil is cheap.

H6 engines are expensive.

Brown bag it if you have to.

Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #10

I always say if you are not going to drive the car far enough for it to properly warm up - don't bother taking the P car at all! It's better to let it sit until a longer trip.
If you never go on longer trips (at least 50 miles?) is it worth having that car at all?
Go and have some fun and give the car a good drive - then it makes it worth the oil change!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
I always say if you are not going to drive the car far enough for it to properly warm up - don't bother taking the P car at all! It's better to let it sit until a longer trip.
If you never go on longer trips (at least 50 miles?) is it worth having that car at all?
Go and have some fun and give the car a good drive - then it makes it worth the oil change!
Well a couple of points.... the money isn't really the concern, it's more a question of is it overkill to change high grade synthetic oil after only 1100 miles of use when the manual says you only need to change once a year or 10,000 miles.

The question moreso was one of burning off water and contaminants - I've heard that a lot on here. The reality is that the oil gets as hot in my 15 minute commutes as it does on my 1 hour trips to D.C. On the one hour trip, it's at that temp for 50 minutes and on the 15 minutes it's at that temp for at least 5 minutes. But then it sits in a garage where it's likely close to that temp for another 10-15 minutes before it cools off. So how long does it need to be at that temp? If you do only a 5 minute commute you never reach the highest temp. Is just reaching the highest temp good enough? If not, how long at the highest temp is required to "clean" the oil? Aside from the contaminants, it doesn't make sense that a high grade synthetic oil should wear out after only 1100 miles.... but that's why I asked the question- to learn from everyone.

As for having fun with the car, I've had plenty of fun with it and enjoyed it a ton since buying it new 17 years ago. I've taken it to the track multiple times and used to drive it 12,000 miles a year, but times change as you get a growing family and move. It now has about 65,800 miles on it and it so happens that I live close to my work so my commute is short. Driving to work with the top down five days a week in the winding backside country roads is plenty of fun whether spring, summer or fall :-) and I don't miss the congested highways. My long distance travel typically involves 4 people now and so the Boxster doesn't cut it most of the time when there are longer commutes :-(
Old 06-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #12

Garage
Your temp gage indicates coolant temp (water) and heats up to 180 deg relatively quickly with a closed T-stat as it pulls the heat of combustion from the cylinders. Motor Oil conducts and transfers heat much slower and while it does conduct residual heat from the cylinders the majority of the combustion heat goes into the coolant. During this time the oil cooler is actually an oil heater. I believe it is generally accepted that the motor oil and engine block take a minimum~15 to 20 minutes to come up to operating temp. It takes a while to heat 2 gallons of oil. I really wish the oil temp (from the dipstick probe) was indicated on the dash.

Last edited by 911monty; 06-25-2017 at 07:54 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #13

Every 6 months

My Pcar gets about 4K miles a year, I change the oil mid summer and then at the end of October...regardless of miles
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:56 AM   #14

Garage
+1 on 6 month intervals for lower use cars. I am in that category these last couple of years.
I also operate under the theory that shorter heat cycles are the worst for cars in general.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:34 AM   #15
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Lol, well I'm a bad example then cause I change mine according to the car's original recommendation of 15k miles or 2 yrs, whichever comes first.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Unless you are tracking the car regularly, keep it simple, change the oil annually or between 3,500-5,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Agreed....though if you go real easy on it you could even go 7k with no issues as this is still wayyyy below the original factory recommendation and the car has a huge oil capacity. The synthetic oil we use barely changes it's properties in 3,500 miles unless you are spending time on the track or in 110 heat and stop and go traffic.

Last edited by Disaster; 06-26-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Oil analysis is the best way to answer your question .
I agree with this recommendation too. I do regular Blackstone checks and it shows my oil is better than cars with equivalent miles. I suspect this is because of the HUGE oil capacity of the Boxster which was originally intended for much longer oil change intervals than people do now.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:43 AM   #18
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyeganeh View Post
...I've put on 1100 miles and using DT40 with a LN IMS double row ceramic replacement.

I think people are working on a 6 month 3000 or 5000 miles which ever comes first.
The IMS Retrofit web page advises 6 months with DT40. Service Intervals – IMS Retrofit:
Quote:
Service interval recommendations are valid only with use of Joe Gibbs BR break in oil during the new IMS bearing break-in period of 200-400 miles along with use of an LN Engineering Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter with subsequent oil changes at 6 months or 5,000 miles using Joe Gibbs DT40. Severe service interval is 3 months or 3,000 miles.
I agree with most of what has been posted here. With a 6 month oil change even if you are only at 1100 miles, you can't go wrong. Are you wasting good oil? Maybe, but it is the best recommendation for the longevity of your engine.
I change oil in the fall and in the spring. That said, I only did the 6 month change on 3 of the 4 Boxsters. I'm pretty sure the fourth, with 1k miles in 6 months will be fine 'till October.
My 'commute' takes 5 minutes. I almost always add on an extra 10 minutes with some twistys on the way home and make sure that each Boxster gets a good long drive each month. Short heat cycles ARE bad for engines. Warm up and cool down are also important.