Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 52
Garage
Lost my spoiler!

I was driving down the highway (2003 boxster, 986 facelift) and when I arrived at my destination, I went to get some things out of the rear trunk and noticed the seal gray trim of the spoiler was gone!

It appears the spoiler still goes up and down with the switch in the footwell but there's no painted, I guess you call it, "spoiler cap/top" (98650460902). I'm looking to order a new one but I have some questions regarding installation:

1) Judging from pictures online, the "cap" just as some built on clips to snap it onto the spoiler (98650461302). Does the cap/top simply snap onto the spoiler with no bolts or screws? - and - Is there a better way of securing the cap than just these brackets?

2) There is a rivet (99950749940) that appears in the exploded diagram of the relevant parts (http://www.********************************************.c om/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=986-97-04&section=803-07) but I'm not sure if this is a required piece for attaching the painted "cap".

Thanks for any tips and/or answers!

ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
I am No. 1348
 
algiorda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Tampa/FL
Posts: 340
Garage
Damn, first side view mirrors and now spoilers. I better install a tether for my engine.

Good luck sorting this out and sorry for your loss.
__________________
Current: 2004 Boxster S 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition (BSSE)
algiorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,250
Can't imagine it coming off by it self. I just removed mine to install my ducktail spoiler and it was a bear to get the factory one off.
03s have 4 tabs that snap into place on that grey part that you have left. Should be easy to put the new one on. Just snap it in place.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
I better install a tether for my engine.
your engine already has a tether!
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmedical View Post
I was driving down the highway (2003 boxster, 986 facelift) and when I arrived at my destination, I went to get some things out of the rear trunk and noticed the seal gray trim of the spoiler was gone!

It appears the spoiler still goes up and down with the switch in the footwell but there's no painted, I guess you call it, "spoiler cap/top" (98650460902). I'm looking to order a new one but I have some questions regarding installation:

1) Judging from pictures online, the "cap" just as some built on clips to snap it onto the spoiler (98650461302). Does the cap/top simply snap onto the spoiler with no bolts or screws? - and - Is there a better way of securing the cap than just these brackets?

2) There is a rivet (99950749940) that appears in the exploded diagram of the relevant parts (http://www.********************************************.c om/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=986-97-04&section=803-07) but I'm not sure if this is a required piece for attaching the painted "cap".

Thanks for any tips and/or answers!
The spoiler cap is held in place by three small plastic rivets.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in ones youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous and more stupid. - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The spoiler cap is held in place by three small plastic rivets.

I don't think they are on an 03 at least not all.
Mine weren't. Just 4 tabs.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,250
Tabs:
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 52
Garage
Thanks y'all for the pics and info. I was able to order a used one that is seal gray but I'm worried the tabs may be brittle due to age (I wonder if that's what happened to mine). Anybody have a creative idea or recommendation for keeping this cap secure? I'm thinking double sided tape or maybe even a glue but not sure what brand would work best.
ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Chuck W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) So.Cal.
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The spoiler cap is held in place by three small plastic rivets.
The 1997 to 2002 had three small plastic rivets. As shown in the photo, the 2003 and 2004 spoiler caps had four tabs.

__________________
1995 Porsche C4 Cab

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:43 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bastrop, Tx
Posts: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
The 1997 to 2002 had three small plastic rivets. As shown in the photo, the 2003 and 2004 spoiler caps had four tabs.

Correct, and Porsche went back to the rivets in 2005. 03/04 with no rivets is a bad idea. I put caulking under my 03/04 tail to keep the cover on. Still there after a year and several 100mph+ testing
__________________
Woody
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #11
Lew
So Blessed!
 
Lew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 389
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmedical View Post
Thanks y'all for the pics and info. I was able to order a used one that is seal gray but I'm worried the tabs may be brittle due to age (I wonder if that's what happened to mine). Anybody have a creative idea or recommendation for keeping this cap secure? I'm thinking double sided tape or maybe even a glue but not sure what brand would work best.
You might think about a tube of liquid nails and do a few small dime size spots in the right places. Like I said think about it........
__________________
Artic Silver Boxster S - Black Leather - Black Top - Convience Plus Package
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: S.California
Posts: 2,021
The useful link above is blocked by Pelican for understandable reasons. They would like to use this Forum to direct us to their Parts site,not their competitors. Very reasonable and we are grateful for the Forum and acknowledge it must cost Pelican a lot to run it. But please Pelican, find a way to get a PET parts data base here.We are forced to use ********************************************. I use their (allegedly illegal !) PET diagrams often because they are so useful. You would think that for the volume of parts business that Pelican give Porsche, that Porsche would let them use a parts manual to help us buy their products? Apparently "Nein, Verboten !"
If you hunt on the Internet you can find your own bootleg version of the PET - but be careful to ensure it has all the latest updates to part numbers - there are many and they can be crucial.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Correct, and Porsche went back to the rivets in 2005. 03/04 with no rivets is a bad idea. I put caulking under my 03/04 tail to keep the cover on. Still there after a year and several 100mph+ testing
Will an 2002 or earlier spoiler trim fit on 2003 model????
bombinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:15 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 3
And yes I also lost my spoiler going over 100MPH with top down the force was so bad spoiler trim flew away but the 4 clips stay behind inside the gap from the trunk.
So if anyone can help to find a black trim one.
Is the duck lip good looking I mean does it look better than OEM for those who did the mod?
Will 02 and earlier models fit on 03/04 models?
Thanks for any inputs guys
bombinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Chuck W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) So.Cal.
Posts: 1,573
No, sorry. The 1997 to 2002 spoiler tops are a completely different design than yours. You have to use a 2003 or 2004 one. As far a the aftermarket duck-tail ones, it is all personal taste.
__________________
1995 Porsche C4 Cab

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:08 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
No, sorry. The 1997 to 2002 spoiler tops are a completely different design than yours. You have to use a 2003 or 2004 one. As far a the aftermarket duck-tail ones, it is all personal taste.
Bad for me ebay has tons of spoilers for 97-02 models but none for 03 and after and its horrible to see that piece missing from my car
bombinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Chuck W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) So.Cal.
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombinha View Post
Bad for me ebay has tons of spoilers for 97-02 models but none for 03 and after and its horrible to see that piece missing from my car
Not sure if you're still looking for one;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-Boxster-S-RWD-Porsche-986-EXTERIOR-REAR-SPOILER-WING-TRIM-98650460902-87-241-/302494615893?hash=item466e158955:g:PhwAAOSwk~ZZ6Uw q

__________________
1995 Porsche C4 Cab

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:18 AM   #18
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego, Palm Springs and soon Austin
Posts: 3,645
Garage
Same thing happened on my 04. I was at the track and noticed it was loose and coming off. 3 of the 4 tabs broke. Maybe I was just too fast

I ended up drilling it and using 4 pop rivets . No problem since
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:27 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 270
Garage
Old thread.. But these bad boys seem hard to find. Im on the lookout for one, so any hints would be appreciated. The idea is to make a small customisation (I plan on keeping the original one untouched so the car can be put back to stock)
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Old thread.. But these bad boys seem hard to find. Im on the lookout for one, so any hints would be appreciated. The idea is to make a small customisation (I plan on keeping the original one untouched so the car can be put back to stock)
Post a thread in the parts sub-forum, or check ebay.
I replaced the spoiler on my '03 with a Cayman-style, so I have the top plastic bit and the air dam, if that's what you're looking for. I hadn't really thought about selling it, but I guess I would be interested.

__________________
'97 - Silver (rebuilt/stripping)
'99 - Black (rebuilt/sold)
'01 S - Rainforest Green (daily)
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page