Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #1

PPI Done = Epic fail !

OK - It wasn't a huge surprise but it is a disappointment.

The seller was putting inspection off - his reasoning was rain .. he doesn't drive it in rain.
Alright I respected his choice but feel his was stalling to show other buyers this past weekend .

I knew the car had some body work and was counting on all else to be good
well the list is long ..

Tires - 13 yrs old , windshield cracked [bottom under wiper blade ], serpentine belt bad
bad window regulator , roof pull rod bushings bad , shock bumps bad , some dents that were painted over etc... etc. etc.

good news was not leaking but just not going to work .

chalking it up to experience, need to really learn more before shelling out for another ppi

mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #2

The cost of the PPi may have stung a bit but it's saving you a lot more in the long run. Good luck in your search!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #3

Smile ppi

Sorry to hear, but at least you're saving yourself a lot down the road.
Did you do your own Visual Check on the overall body and paint condition? Live and Learn and move on!
There's plenty of them available, just have to trust your own before going through the ppi process again.
Good Luck on your search.
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm22 View Post
...good news was not leaking but just not going to work .

chalking it up to experience, need to really learn more before shelling out for another ppi
Good news that you gained experience from it and know that it was not the one for you before making a mistake. I call that a successful PPI.

A few little flaws are to be expected on any 986. That one though, sounds more like one of my $3,500 project cars.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #5

The ironic part is hearing from the seller tonight. He said he went over inspection with
The shop and was "very satisfied" with the findings ! Holy smokes. He must be delusional
He hadn't cleaned out the debris in front of radiator for years !! Never mind things / repairs & maintainence
Yes , it was a lesson for me - got schooled today. Funny when you pay for this $$
It won't be forgotten. I may not be very tech / mech savvy but I sure can do a better job inspecting overall condition , check all regular functions Windows ,top,switches ,gauges ,lights ,horn etc... I'm taking this as a challenge !
The gauntlet has been thrown
Old 10-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #6

I just want to know how he ever got 13 years out of one set of tires. ;-)
Old 10-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #7

A Lesson Learned

What are you looking for and what is your budget ? Lee NY
Leebherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #8
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm22 View Post
The ironic part is hearing from the seller tonight. He said he went over inspection with the shop and was "very satisfied" with the findings!
It's funny how as an owner/seller it is possible to gloss over rather serious issues. If it's that perfect, he should be keeping the car instead of selling.
There are lots of Boxsters for sale... the thing is to find one that fits your requirements, not the seller's.
Good luck in your search.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #9

My budget is tight (daughters wedding is approaching ). I allocated 10k for boxster.
After looking at what's around. I can see 10k will grow to 13 or 14.

It'd be nice to find a well kept ,correct car with reasonable miles Not looking for perfect Just a good solid maintained vehicle
Old 10-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #10

Nice car Lee.

Your almost a neighbor. Melville - Massapequa

Last edited by mfm22; 10-03-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #11
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
The fact that the PPI caught the bad window regulator paid for itself with just that repair. If you have a copy of the report, you can use it to help QC the next car until you find your true love, I mean car. Happy hunting.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #12

13 years old and original tires bought one last month

Bought a 2003 Boxster last month with 19k and original tires still on it and tread looked good for another 20k. After post PPI walk through with shop owner. He pointed out tire manufacture date was 2002. Tires were 14 yrs from birth and 13 from sale date. On much closer look I could see cracks and dry rotting.
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:18 PM   #13
Damn Yankee

Garage
I would definitely change all tires as soon as possible. Like before the next time you drove it, except while nursing the Box to the tire shop.

Just sayin'.....

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:20 AM   #14
Project Addicted

Money well spent!!! You can also use that info to work the price down to pay for some or all of the repairs...
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #15

Garage
Tires are very important on a high performance car, just ask Paul Walker's family. Just because the tires have low miles and "look" good, they are not! And as far as the PPI goes, I would call it a success! I paid for a few PPI's before I found my now 4 year old to me, trouble free Boxster. Keep looking and have patience, you will find the "one"
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #16

About to put my 2001 S up for the winter. 30,000 miles, IMS done, black on black, 18" turbo twist wheels. In perfect shape. Tasteful upgrades such as H&R springs, Kenwood stereo with USB and Bluetooth, new speakers all around including rear pack shelf speaker kit (with upgraded speakers), Rennline shift knob and pedals. I'm in Western NY and I toy with selling it every fall when I put it away. What's your budget?

Vince
m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by m332is View Post
About to put my 2001 S up for the winter. 30,000 miles, IMS done, black on black, 18" turbo twist wheels. In perfect shape. Tasteful upgrades such as H&R springs, Kenwood stereo with USB and Bluetooth, new speakers all around including rear pack shelf speaker kit (with upgraded speakers), Rennline shift knob and pedals. I'm in Western NY and I toy with selling it every fall when I put it away. What's your budget?

Vince
He said his budget was $10K but if he can substitute the wedding cake for a decorated piece of foam, he might get a couple 1000 more for his budget.

Who eats wedding cake, really!

Hmmmm, in some parts of the world he could sell you his daughter/bride and take your Boxster as partial payment.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #18
Certified Boxster Addict

I'll say it again;

Rule #1: Never believe anything a seller says unless its documented in writing.
Rule #2: Get a PPI.
Rule #3: The PPI will be the best $300 you ever spend.

If you spend $1000 in PPI's but save yourself $5000 in unplanned expenses, I think you're still ahead of the game.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #19

I'm in NY. If your interested I am selling my garage kept, documented 99 3.4 conversion with many extras for a price very close to what you are saying. Sorry to hijack the thread but I am just putting it out there. Feel free to look me up on this forum or email me djmanjay@yahoo.com
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #20

I've already bumped some guest's to wedding lol You would not believe how much this affair is adding up to !! wish they would elope

Just decided last night to focus on the 'S' for a few more $ some nice features

Rule # 1 - true sometimes they deceive & some times they just don't know!
Rule # 2 - true if done by someone who knows these cars

I'm just annoyed with myself - had a feeling that the car wasn't as solid as offered
But I got a call from the shop asking for my info , I asked if the seller had made an appointment - answer the car is here & we'are half way through inspection !

would have been nice if the seller called me to confirm he was bringing it to shop - last we spoke he was to let me know - watching the weather - I'd like to think I'm a stand up guy so just went over to shop to do the right thing on my end :ah: