986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PPI Done = Epic fail ! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63407)

mfm22 10-03-2016 01:24 PM

PPI Done = Epic fail !

OK - It wasn't a huge surprise but it is a disappointment.

The seller was putting inspection off - his reasoning was rain .. he doesn't drive it in rain.
Alright I respected his choice but feel his was stalling to show other buyers this past weekend .

I knew the car had some body work and was counting on all else to be good
well the list is long ..

Tires - 13 yrs old , windshield cracked [bottom under wiper blade ], serpentine belt bad
bad window regulator , roof pull rod bushings bad , shock bumps bad , some dents that were painted over etc... etc. etc.

good news was not leaking but just not going to work .

chalking it up to experience, need to really learn more before shelling out for another ppi

PaulE 10-03-2016 01:34 PM

The cost of the PPi may have stung a bit but it's saving you a lot more in the long run. Good luck in your search!

t2-bxtrs 10-03-2016 01:58 PM

ppi

Sorry to hear, but at least you're saving yourself a lot down the road.
Did you do your own Visual Check on the overall body and paint condition? Live and Learn and move on!
There's plenty of them available, just have to trust your own before going through the ppi process again.
Good Luck on your search.

78F350 10-03-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfm22 (Post 511959)
...good news was not leaking but just not going to work .

chalking it up to experience, need to really learn more before shelling out for another ppi

Good news that you gained experience from it and know that it was not the one for you before making a mistake. I call that a successful PPI.

A few little flaws are to be expected on any 986. That one though, sounds more like one of my $3,500 project cars.

mfm22 10-03-2016 03:27 PM

The ironic part is hearing from the seller tonight. He said he went over inspection with
The shop and was "very satisfied" with the findings ! Holy smokes. He must be delusional
He hadn't cleaned out the debris in front of radiator for years !! Never mind things / repairs & maintainence
Yes , it was a lesson for me - got schooled today. Funny when you pay for this $$
It won't be forgotten. I may not be very tech / mech savvy but I sure can do a better job inspecting overall condition , check all regular functions Windows ,top,switches ,gauges ,lights ,horn etc... I'm taking this as a challenge !
The gauntlet has been thrown

Dave S. 10-03-2016 04:35 PM

I just want to know how he ever got 13 years out of one set of tires. ;-)

Leebherron 10-03-2016 04:41 PM

A Lesson Learned

What are you looking for and what is your budget ? Lee NYhttp://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1475541633.jpg

BoxsterSteve 10-03-2016 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfm22 (Post 511975)
The ironic part is hearing from the seller tonight. He said he went over inspection with the shop and was "very satisfied" with the findings!

It's funny how as an owner/seller it is possible to gloss over rather serious issues. If it's that perfect, he should be keeping the car instead of selling.
There are lots of Boxsters for sale... the thing is to find one that fits your requirements, not the seller's.
Good luck in your search.

mfm22 10-03-2016 05:55 PM

My budget is tight (daughters wedding is approaching ). I allocated 10k for boxster.
After looking at what's around. I can see 10k will grow to 13 or 14.

It'd be nice to find a well kept ,correct car with reasonable miles Not looking for perfect Just a good solid maintained vehicle

mfm22 10-03-2016 05:57 PM

Nice car Lee.

Your almost a neighbor. Melville - Massapequa

rexcramer 10-03-2016 07:18 PM

The fact that the PPI caught the bad window regulator paid for itself with just that repair. If you have a copy of the report, you can use it to help QC the next car until you find your true love, I mean car. :D Happy hunting.

fanguy 10-03-2016 08:07 PM

13 years old and original tires bought one last month

Bought a 2003 Boxster last month with 19k and original tires still on it and tread looked good for another 20k. After post PPI walk through with shop owner. He pointed out tire manufacture date was 2002. Tires were 14 yrs from birth and 13 from sale date. On much closer look I could see cracks and dry rotting.

TeamOxford 10-03-2016 09:18 PM

I would definitely change all tires as soon as possible. Like before the next time you drove it, except while nursing the Box to the tire shop.

Just sayin'.....

TO

jcslocum 10-04-2016 03:20 AM

Money well spent!!! You can also use that info to work the price down to pay for some or all of the repairs...

BruceH 10-04-2016 07:11 AM

Tires are very important on a high performance car, just ask Paul Walker's family. Just because the tires have low miles and "look" good, they are not! And as far as the PPI goes, I would call it a success! I paid for a few PPI's before I found my now 4 year old to me, trouble free Boxster. Keep looking and have patience, you will find the "one" :cheers:

m332is 10-04-2016 09:39 AM

About to put my 2001 S up for the winter. 30,000 miles, IMS done, black on black, 18" turbo twist wheels. In perfect shape. Tasteful upgrades such as H&R springs, Kenwood stereo with USB and Bluetooth, new speakers all around including rear pack shelf speaker kit (with upgraded speakers), Rennline shift knob and pedals. I'm in Western NY and I toy with selling it every fall when I put it away. What's your budget?

Vince

jb92563 10-04-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m332is (Post 512042)
About to put my 2001 S up for the winter. 30,000 miles, IMS done, black on black, 18" turbo twist wheels. In perfect shape. Tasteful upgrades such as H&R springs, Kenwood stereo with USB and Bluetooth, new speakers all around including rear pack shelf speaker kit (with upgraded speakers), Rennline shift knob and pedals. I'm in Western NY and I toy with selling it every fall when I put it away. What's your budget?

Vince

He said his budget was $10K but if he can substitute the wedding cake for a decorated piece of foam, he might get a couple 1000 more for his budget.

Who eats wedding cake, really!

Hmmmm, in some parts of the world he could sell you his daughter/bride and take your Boxster as partial payment. :D

thstone 10-04-2016 11:54 AM

I'll say it again;

Rule #1: Never believe anything a seller says unless its documented in writing.
Rule #2: Get a PPI.
Rule #3: The PPI will be the best $300 you ever spend.

If you spend $1000 in PPI's but save yourself $5000 in unplanned expenses, I think you're still ahead of the game.

JAAY 10-04-2016 12:06 PM

I'm in NY. If your interested I am selling my garage kept, documented 99 3.4 conversion with many extras for a price very close to what you are saying. Sorry to hijack the thread but I am just putting it out there. Feel free to look me up on this forum or email me djmanjay@yahoo.com

mfm22 10-04-2016 12:22 PM

I've already bumped some guest's to wedding lol You would not believe how much this affair is adding up to !! wish they would elope

Just decided last night to focus on the 'S' for a few more $ some nice features

Rule # 1 - true sometimes they deceive & some times they just don't know!
Rule # 2 - true if done by someone who knows these cars

I'm just annoyed with myself - had a feeling that the car wasn't as solid as offered
But I got a call from the shop asking for my info , I asked if the seller had made an appointment - answer the car is here & we'are half way through inspection !

would have been nice if the seller called me to confirm he was bringing it to shop - last we spoke he was to let me know - watching the weather - I'd like to think I'm a stand up guy so just went over to shop to do the right thing on my end :ah: