Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

Exclamation new to the 986 club need some anwers please

Hey I wanted to get some insight on a few things. I'm going to get my oil changed (1st time since owning it). The last oil change looks like a couple months ago, the coolant was changed about a year or so ago from what paperwork says. when should I get the coolant drained and have the old coolant drained & new coolant put in. Any suggestions.
what oil is good to use?? I know you use extended life coolant, but which one, I saw so many out there. I do live in New York if that makes a difference.

yellow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
CEL P0306

Garage
Welcome. I'm not an expert like many of the folks on the forum but can offer this: the shop I take my '98 for service uses Amsoil. Haven't had to change the coolant yet. Others can help with suggestions for that.

Use the search feature and you'll find a great deal of opinion, fact, spirited debate and otherwise regarding engine oil.
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #3

OMG no! No oil questions please! Use the search function and you will quickly realize there is no right answer for which oil to use. None.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #4

Hello and welcome.

If the coolant was changed last yr, there's no need to change it soon. If it's pink, the previous owner used Porsche coolant, which has a "lifetime" shelf life. Unfortunately, the water pump only lasts 4-6 yrs and you'll have to change coolant when the water pump gives up the ghost. Be sure it's good for those cold NY winter nights and you should be fine for several yrs.

If you don't know what brand it is and it's low, add distilled water to bring it up to the proper level. Then check how strong it is with an antifreeze tester.

What oil to use will spark a holy war, as everyone has a favorite. Use Mobil 1 for this change and do your own research for the next one. There are plenty of threads on the topic
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 07-21-2016 at 05:31 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #5

Try mobil 1 15w 50
GatorLapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:13 AM   #6

I'd go with Oil of Olay if I were you. It has anti-aging properties, plus it will hide the wrinkles in your convertible top.

I would also learn to click on this button:

It can save you from the embarrassment of asking a question that has already been asked 100's of times and discussed endlessly.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Hello and welcome.
... If it's pink, the previous owner used Porsche coolant, which has a "lifetime" shelf life.
If you don't know what brand it is and it's low, add distilled water to bring it up to the proper level. Then check how strong it is with an antifreeze tester.

What oil to use will spark a holy war, as everyone has a favorite. Use Mobil 1...
Also note that if you mix the Porsche coolant with many other coolants (yellow or green) it turns into pink jelly. Always do a thorough flush if you are not certain.

Oil? I just use what ever is on sale that week. Here's a post on Rennlist that has a list of 100+ oils you can use:
New (2015) list of Porsche approved (a40) oils - and a strange change ... - Rennlist Discussion Forums

I'm seriously considering this for my next change. If it's good enough for my 1986 Ford diesel, it should be fine for my '99 Porsche. Right?

Here's a good read:
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/56373-yet-another-oil-thread-%2Acaution%2A-science-content.html
Old 07-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #8

As you can see, there are lots of opinions on oil. Do some reading and decide what you'd like to use. Regardless, 5-7k mile oil changes are as important as what oil you've decided to run.

"Lifetime' coolant is used in your car. Personally, I changed my coolant at about 95K miles. I splurged and purchased the Porsche coolant at $30/gallon, as it took any angst out of the decision and I may not ever have to do it again.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #9

Can't go wrong with mobil1 it is what porsche recommends, I always liked it since it was first introduced.
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:05 PM   #10
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Have used Mobil 1 0w40, currently on Castrol Syntec 5w40, and going with Lubro Moly on my next change.

For coolant, running Zerex G-05 (Mercedes-Benz formula for aluminum engines). Also, Pentosin G12/G12+ (VW/Audi coolant) is favored too.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
OMG no! No oil questions please! Use the search function and you will quickly realize there is no right answer for which oil to use. None.
You are correct. All defined by the container's sticker and fancy 3D motion simulations of rev'ing engines on TV to me lolll

If I had to recommend oil to anyone, for a Porsche car anyway, I'd say stick to what they recommend (Mobil 1, 0-40). The type/viscosity have been tested in their labs more than once I'd like to think. Tested for chemical stability with the type of steel & aluminum grades, carbons/silicons, and other composites your engine is made of (harsh conditions tested also).

Pressure that oil makes on vital high speed components have also been tested, by Porsche Eng. Those same guys that some here thinks, don't know half of what they are doing.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Regardless, 5-7k mile oil changes are as important as what oil you've decided to run.
^^^ This ^^^
Don't believe the hype of 10K mi oil changes. Best ins you can get for your engine is frequent changes. I do mine between 4-5K mi.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #13

Garage
Uhmmmm...i call bull**************** on the pink jelly remark. I put green stuff that was stated to be compatible with all coolants and it really was compatible with all coolants. no pink jelly....I use whatever synthetic is on sale when I go in for oil. I don't use 0W40 or 0W50. i use 5W or 10W and synthetic. I have been told that synthetic is more tolerant of high temperatures and breaks down at higher temperatures so its worth the expense when pushing the engine hard for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Also note that if you mix the Porsche coolant with many other coolants (yellow or green) it turns into pink jelly. Always do a thorough flush if you are not certain.

Oil? I just use what ever is on sale that week. Here's a post on Rennlist that has a list of 100+ oils you can use:
New (2015) list of Porsche approved (a40) oils - and a strange change ... - Rennlist Discussion Forums

I'm seriously considering this for my next change. If it's good enough for my 1986 Ford diesel, it should be fine for my '99 Porsche. Right?

Here's a good read:
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/56373-yet-another-oil-thread-%2Acaution%2A-science-content.html
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #14

Buy the magnetic drain plug before your oil change. Change the air filter and the drive belt if needed . Its cheap and a good ideal.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
Uhmmmm...i call bull**************** on the pink jelly remark. I put green stuff that was stated to be compatible with all coolants and it really was compatible with all coolants. no pink jelly
So you got lucky. But it can and does happen, so maybe do your homework before you call bull. Might save you from looking kinda stupid.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #16

fascinating

Same as oil choice.

Coolants have different levels of PH (acid), Silicates, Sulphates, Borates and other additives. Each manufacturer specifies a formulation suitable for the metals in the engine, rubber hoses, seals etc.

Nothing to do with whether it mix, perform better, "price", or anything like that (geez guys). Since I don;t own a test lab, and know clap about coolants and the materials used in our engine, I am going to stick to what Porsche Eng recommends

Last edited by Nine8Six; 07-23-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #17
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
Uhmmmm...i call bull**************** on the pink jelly remark. I put green stuff that was stated to be compatible with all coolants and it really was compatible with all coolants. no pink jelly.....
Not every coolant that is mixed with Porsche coolant will cause a problem, but some will. It is real, so why take the chance? Do a flush if you are not sure.
Here's a water pump that I pulled from a failed 2.7l engine:

The pink gel was also in the coolant passages of the engine and no doubt, the rest of the cooling system.

Here's a little reading on the subject if you are interested, click the quoted text for the link:
Pedro:

Quote:
"On a final note, regarding the “mixing of non Porsche coolant with Porsche coolant will turn to gel” issue, here’s the scoop.

Porsche was one of the first manufacturers to use an all aluminum engine and they were pioneers in the development of the Organic Additive Technology (OAT) for antifreeze. In those days the concentration of silicates, borates and phosphates (among others) was so high in the commercially available IAT coolants, that when mixed with OAT this would cause the additives to precipitate out of solution and would clog many of the fine cooling vanes in the radiators and engine. This precipitate had the consistency of slush.

Bottom line: Don’t mix different types of antifreeze."

JFP in PA:
Quote:
"If you could see the nightmares we have had to deal with that were caused by mixing the OEM coolant with aftermarket stuff (gelled lumps in the cooling system, plugged radiators, etc.), as well as the service bills they caused, you would view the use of the OEM coolant as cheap insurance…………"

Lots more info out there if you bother to search before calling BS.
:dance:
Old 07-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #18
Certified Boxster Addict

Straight answers to simple questions;

Use Mobil 1 in a temperature appropriate weight for your location

Change the coolant every 3 -5 years (or whenever you change the water pump) and use the Porsche OEM coolant.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #19

Would be nice if one of you pro could do a quick but concise write-up and "Sticky" this on the forum. A place where we can redirect ppl too instead of asking them to search.

Or just copy what they did on RL and sticky here, dunno

I have to agree with Giller, pretty regular question and often leads to 'cosmetic for women' type arguments.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #20

I actually might be in the best possible position to say that my 1997 Porsche Boxster always had Mobil 1 0-40 every 2,500km (overkill I know, waste possibly) and new oil filter every 5,000k. New pink coolant and distilled water every 4~5 years. ATF change twice (50k).

20 years old car and literally nothing leaks on the thing (original coolant cap, go figure). RMS is fine, no rad damages or hose leaks, original water pump, no oil dripping. Just nowhere, zero.

Approaching 100,000 km, kept indoor 90% of the time.