Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 06:10 AM   #1

Do we need a moderator?

I've always liked how open this forum was and the lack of supervision. Most of the time everything worked it's way out, but these threads the last few days have got me rethinking the lack of a moderator on here. I'm the kind of a guy who will let people fight it out. I'm not sure that's a good approach for here though. I'm afraid we're more than likely just going to lose people instead. We need more and less . I hate to see us lose anyone because we're not that big of a family.
Another issue I have is I think some of the stickies are outdated and need to be removed or replaced. I also think the forum as a whole needs to somehow try and start getting more involvement from the newer Boxster and Cayman crowd.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by itsnotanova; 04-28-2016 at 09:46 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:12 AM   #2

Agreed, more moderation would be welcome here!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:21 AM   #3

Hi,

well i don't think we need more moderation. Why? Because people are old enough.

A totally outdated forum software would be my point. Also the forum is sometimes very confusing, because there are tons of topics with the same content and sometimes you really don't find what you're looking for. FAQ section would be great.

Just my 2 cents

Regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There has not been an active moderator here since Brucelee a few years ago. It normally works out okay, but I agree one or two moderators to quickly deal with any situations like what has happened recently or to just deal with spam would be welcome. That said, I've been on this board a while and I can only recall a handful of threads that needed moderator intervention. If the powers that be decided to appoint a new mod, I wouldn't mind doing it, I'm on here everyday anyway.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
I would agree that we don't need more active moderators. In the 2+ years I have been on this forum, there have been less than a handful of threads that went off the rails and required intervention. In one case it was almost universal in opinion of shutting it down.

As far as getting more newer Boxster and Cayman people involved, well without wanting to sound like a snob, I would prefer this forum stay focused on the 986, not newer models. There are many other forums that are focused on 987 and 981 models. If would be a shame if this turned into rennlist
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:43 AM   #6

Moderation is good if its on a one off basis when things get out of hand, but life and families are also full of disputes so we cant sterilize too much or the moderation starts to compromise the freedom of opinions.

I think a good resolution to the ParticleWave vs Pedro dispute is for a Moderator to ask both to disengage from those threads for the good of the forum.

If that does not work, then delete the threads.

Points have been made on both sides enough so members can investigate further of their own accord if they are interested in the products in question.

The truth is rarely black and white, good or bad, you just have to make up your own mind and move on.

So limited moderation when things get ugly would be my vote.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #7

Actually Smallblock has a point. Perhaps it's time that this forum had a software update?

It's ridiculously old and could do with freshening up.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #8

Garage
I agree on the software update.....the ability to 'Like' or 'Agree' with a post would be nice, instead of having to reply with "Looks nice!"

Obviously, an option to block/hide a given thread would be awesome.
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

All we need is for Mark to step up and act on IMs or reports. It's not too much to ask. Take out the damn trash once in a while.

A newer format would be nice.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Actually Smallblock has a point. Perhaps it's time that this forum had a software update?

It's ridiculously old and could do with freshening up.
I'm on quite a few car forums, and quite honestly, this one is the EASIEST to follow and use. Search is, of course, useless - but other than that I'd say careful what you wish for...

As for Moderation, meh...this will all blow over and we'll get back to soon enough...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #11

I've been active on this forum for nearly 12 years. This is, by enlarge, a great group of people with whom to share information, celebrate and commiserate when things go wrong with our aging water cooled porsches. And I've seen a lot of power-posting people come and go.

While we don't have an active moderator, I'm wondering how everyone has experienced the moderators when something is flagged or brought to their attention. If there's a decent response time, I would think we could simply all agree to do a better job of flagging posts and abusive behavior.

Thoughts?

As to Woody's other comment about discussions for newer Porsche owners, I would think a forum of their own might be more appropriate (987forum.com, for example).

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 04-28-2016 at 09:04 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #12

Reluctantly, yes we do need a Moderator

There are the same few 'contributors' to almost every nasty spat.
There are an even smaller number of initiators.
When the name calling starts, I just unsubscribe. The name calling usually terminates any useful information or help anyway. It just becomes an ugly ,bullying and childish exchange. So it is a waste of time to stay subscribed.
So when the mud-slinging starts, the lack of Moderation obstructs the Forum objective of mutual help with our Boxster problems.
The generally polite and cordial tone of this Forum is what I enjoy. There is another forum where nastiness seems to be tolerated - even condoned. Interestingly the trouble-makers from this Forum seem to be even more vitriolic there. One offender here was banned from the other site - he uses a different 'name' but we all know who he is...
A timely reminder from a Moderator of the Forum Rules and Objectives or a time-out would be helpful for the hot-heads.
That way we keep useful members who just need a little help moderating their statements.For these reasons I suggest all parties would benefit from Moderation..

Last edited by Gelbster; 04-28-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #13

Garage
As far as getting more newer Boxster and Cayman people involved, well without wanting to sound like a snob, I would prefer this forum stay focused on the 986, not newer models. There are many other forums that are focused on 987 and 981 models. If would be a shame if this turned into rennlist[/QUOTE]

X2
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #14

I am with you Woody. Heck my wallet would much lighter with out you. Smallblock hits the point perfectly here. It is confusing having the same problems with no how to section. It would useful to have one that is managed well. We all usually end up with the same problems. Why not have a simpler way of handling them?

Last edited by Muzzle of Bees; 04-28-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Muzzle of Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #15
Rennzenn

Garage
As far as getting more newer Boxster and Cayman people involved, well without wanting to sound like a snob, I would prefer this forum stay focused on the 986, not newer models. There are many other forums that are focused on 987 and 981 models. If would be a shame if this turned into rennlist[/QUOTE]

+1more
Issues and solutions for our 986 cars are different than those for the newer cars. Having a mix of 986/987/981 posts would make things really confusing and possibly more contentious.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #16
Project Addicted

I self moderate. I don't allow myself to get sucked into the webernets arguments. The leaders of this type of nonsense will drag you in, pull you down to their level and beat you with their experience. Like wrestling a pig, you will get filthy, the pig will win and will like it.

Just my .002
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #17
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I too self moderate, sometimes throwing in my 3 cents Canadian, 2 cents American other times just grabbing some popcorn & an adult beverage and watch. 99.9% of the time things here are friendly and copacetic.

Sometimes there is mud slinging but it is nowhere near as confrontational as Rennlist. It is way more inclusive and sharing here. And it is a lot easier to navigate.

That said, a moderator to keep things cleaned up administration wise would be nice. But let's keep this a 986 first forum. 987, 981 . . hell 996 are welcome because they all share something with the 986 but the emphasis on our cars is most important i believe.

So here's to us and happy Boxstering!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #18

What? We dont have moderators? i have been refraining myself all this time from insulting everybody for no reason! Lol
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #19
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelan View Post
What? We dont have moderators? i have been refraining myself all this time from insulting everybody for no reason! Lol
Well now you can let 'er rip!!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #20
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelan View Post
Actually, it's been made clear I can't talk about cats anymore.

They do keep tabs occasionally. Mark was very cool about it.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote