Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 07:37 AM   #1

Titanium windshield trim

Does anyone know if the titanium colored trim piece around the windshield of S models can be replaced without removing the windshield or seal? Mine looks horrible.

oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #2

Based on my recent experience replacing the windshield you have to take it out to replace the the trim/seal. My looked terrible too and I simply replaced it with a black one as I liked the black seal better.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #3

Garage
Like most, mine was cracked and peeling. So I just used a sharpened Plastic scraper and scrapped off the dried out Titanium plastic down to the black rubber under it. At least now it's a consistent black finish all round
Old 03-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

I just had this picked up this part from the dealership to go along with my windshield replacement. The titanium trim is "U" shaped and wraps completely around the edge of windshield. It becomes part of what is actually glued to the car so I doubt its possible to replace without compromising the windshield adhesion.
winter.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

There are S hard tops, too ... with the titanium trim strip in the rear window rubber.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
Does anyone know if the titanium colored trim piece around the windshield of S models can be replaced without removing the windshield or seal? Mine looks horrible.
I believe it can, mine was replaced under warranty when it was 3 years old. I didn't pay anything so I can't know for sure, maybe they replaced the seal also.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:03 AM   #7

I'm not sure how yours looks, but mine looked like this...

So I used xxxx steel wool on it with a clay bar lubricant and it looks much better.

After on left, before on right.

It's good enough for me and I'm usually quite pedantic. If it's only discolouration that's the problem, it might be worth a shot for you too?
Old 03-09-2016, 03:12 AM   #8

I'm not sure how yours looks, but mine looked like this...

So I used xxxx steel wool on it with a clay bar lubricant and it looks much better.

After on left, before on right.

It's good enough for me when viewing it in person and I'm considered by many as pedantic. If it's only discolouration that's the problem, it might be worth a shot for you too?
Old 03-09-2016, 04:33 AM   #9

Garage
trim piece

Spent 1 1/2 hours taping off area around it with 3m471 tape then cleaning with scrounge pad got down to a dull white finish then sprayed with close match (chrome) spray paint . looked great when I was completed , then 2 days later hit a deer and cracked window shield, repair covered new trim piece so I do not know how it would hold up.
osw986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by osw986 View Post
Spent 1 1/2 hours taping off area around it with 3m471 tape then cleaning with scrounge pad got down to a dull white finish then sprayed with close match (chrome) spray paint . looked great when I was completed , then 2 days later hit a deer and cracked window shield, repair covered new trim piece so I do not know how it would hold up.
Ouch! Timing is everything!

Glad it wasn't worse..wife had an encounter with a deer a few years ago in our (then) Explorer. Deer committed suicide in plane daylight. Set off air bag, bent steering column and messed up front pretty good. $8K to repair (on an Explorer!).
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #11

FWIW, mine is always coming loose at the base of the windshield and I snap it back in place when I notice. So I would think it is easy to remove and replace with a new piece without removing the seal or the windshield.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #12

part #

Cant find the part # for the trim piece. Anyone have experience replacing this piece?
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
WALDMEISTER

Garage
I need, I need, I need that trim piece ... I knew it, there was something different with the Boxster S windshields...a trim piece.

Now I really need the part number, too, for being an old school chrome trim fanatic
:dance:
Old 03-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #14

In PET, the rubber is called sealing frame and the trim is called trim frame. M008 is the code for S.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
I need, I need, I need that trim piece ... I knew it, there was something different with the Boxster S windshields...a trim piece.

Now I really need the part number, too, for being an old school chrome trim fanatic
World Champion, are you really willing to remove the windshield and reinstall to get some bling?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 03-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
World Champion, are you really willing to remove the windshield and reinstall to get some bling?
OF COURSE! I would consider that! As a PORSCHE nut, there ain't no stopping me, once I got an idea stuck in my head. Will at least get that trim to be prepared, when a replacement is needed.
But no DIY, of course! I had some windshield replacements on other cars...those car glass service professionals are good, fast as lightning and inexpensive.

Need ma Bling
Old 03-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #17

Definitely not DYI. I watched a Pro take over an hour an a half to do mine and it's certainly a practiced skill.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 03-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #18

Sorry guys, been away for a while and just catching up...

It IS possible to replace the trim without removing the windshield - at least it was on my 2001 Boxster S.

I ordered the part from Pellican... part no: OEM-986541541029A4 $68.25 + 11.75 S&H

Price probably is a bit higher now... it will come in a HUGE box, the size of your windshield and about 4" thick. If there is any damage to the box, don't accept it from UPS!

First, you have to get the old one off...

Start by removing the wide black seal that sits between the trim and the body flange. It is L-shaped, where the short side of the L gets driven down into the outside edge of the trim. Just start at the bottom and pull it up to remove it.

Next you remove the trim. I used a putty knife I bought at Ace Hardware. The way I got the trim off was to start at the bottom, slide the putty knife under the trim parallel to the glass, and then rotate the knife up so it's 90 degrees to the glass. Then I would push the putty knife down between the edge of the glass and then push down again to pry the trim away from the glass. The hardest parts were the top corners.

Clean the area around the windshield before you start installing the new trim.

NOTE - the new trim will come with a thin nylon strip in the groove where the black rubber outer seal will go. DO NOT REMOVE IT until the end, when you are ready to re-install the rubber seal. You will be prying against the outer groove and the nylon strip will prevent you from damaging this outer groove.

To install the new trim, start at the top. VERY IMPORTANT - be sure the trim is centered from side to side. Use the top corners to judge this. Then, with the trim laying in the channel between the windshield and frame, press it in around the windshield starting at the center top. You go an inch or two at a time. I used a black nylon kitchen spatula to pry against the frame to push the trim onto the windshield. The corners are the hardest part. If you reach the first corner and the trim isn't sitting right, use the putty knife to work the trim loose back to the center and start over.

When you've completely installed the trim, it's time to put the black outer weather seal back on. Start by removing the nylon bead from the trim. Start at the bottom, grab the bead and pull up and work your way around the trim until it's completely out. Then, starting at the bottom, install the black weather seal by pressing it into the space where the nylon bead was. You'll need strong thumbs to press the weather seal into place. Do a bit, then take a break. You may be able to use a rubber mallet to bang it in, but I don't like pounding on glass.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billsalina/25769868951/in/album-72157644886563153/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billsalina/25744195882/in/album-72157644886563153/

Hope this helps.

I should add that this will take HOURS to do it this way. It's probably 10 min work if the windshield is out...

Last edited by BirdDog; 03-17-2016 at 11:35 AM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote