View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #18
BirdDog

Sorry guys, been away for a while and just catching up...

It IS possible to replace the trim without removing the windshield - at least it was on my 2001 Boxster S.

I ordered the part from Pellican... part no: OEM-986541541029A4 $68.25 + 11.75 S&H

Price probably is a bit higher now... it will come in a HUGE box, the size of your windshield and about 4" thick. If there is any damage to the box, don't accept it from UPS!

First, you have to get the old one off...

Start by removing the wide black seal that sits between the trim and the body flange. It is L-shaped, where the short side of the L gets driven down into the outside edge of the trim. Just start at the bottom and pull it up to remove it.

Next you remove the trim. I used a putty knife I bought at Ace Hardware. The way I got the trim off was to start at the bottom, slide the putty knife under the trim parallel to the glass, and then rotate the knife up so it's 90 degrees to the glass. Then I would push the putty knife down between the edge of the glass and then push down again to pry the trim away from the glass. The hardest parts were the top corners.

Clean the area around the windshield before you start installing the new trim.

NOTE - the new trim will come with a thin nylon strip in the groove where the black rubber outer seal will go. DO NOT REMOVE IT until the end, when you are ready to re-install the rubber seal. You will be prying against the outer groove and the nylon strip will prevent you from damaging this outer groove.

To install the new trim, start at the top. VERY IMPORTANT - be sure the trim is centered from side to side. Use the top corners to judge this. Then, with the trim laying in the channel between the windshield and frame, press it in around the windshield starting at the center top. You go an inch or two at a time. I used a black nylon kitchen spatula to pry against the frame to push the trim onto the windshield. The corners are the hardest part. If you reach the first corner and the trim isn't sitting right, use the putty knife to work the trim loose back to the center and start over.

When you've completely installed the trim, it's time to put the black outer weather seal back on. Start by removing the nylon bead from the trim. Start at the bottom, grab the bead and pull up and work your way around the trim until it's completely out. Then, starting at the bottom, install the black weather seal by pressing it into the space where the nylon bead was. You'll need strong thumbs to press the weather seal into place. Do a bit, then take a break. You may be able to use a rubber mallet to bang it in, but I don't like pounding on glass.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billsalina/25769868951/in/album-72157644886563153/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billsalina/25744195882/in/album-72157644886563153/

Hope this helps.

I should add that this will take HOURS to do it this way. It's probably 10 min work if the windshield is out...

Last edited by BirdDog; 03-17-2016 at 11:35 AM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote