Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #61

Garage
To be honest, I feel like my Durametric is close to useless. I can get it to work about prolly less than 20% of the time. Yesterday I hooked mine up to attempt to run cam diagnostics to compare to Particles, nothing. Sometimes with engine off works great, but when I start car and then attempt to run again nothing. Frustrating as hell. I would not recommend purchase.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #62
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
My issues with the cable on a 98 were never resolved. I keep applying updates whenever they arrive and hope for the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
I wish I had read this before buying a Durametric. Mine can communicate with the engine module but can't communicate with any other module, including the airbag system which was the immediate reason I bought the darn thing for.

I recall reading, somewhere, Durametric provided someone with an older level cable that didn't have the communication issue. Looks like they are due a call from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
To be honest, I feel like my Durametric is close to useless. I can get it to work about prolly less than 20% of the time. Yesterday I hooked mine up to attempt to run cam diagnostics to compare to Particles, nothing. Sometimes with engine off works great, but when I start car and then attempt to run again nothing. Frustrating as hell. I would not recommend purchase.
I would suggest that you all contact Durametric and send them a link to this thread. Let them know that you are having the same issue with the earlier cars. They do know about the issue and they do have a fix. Just don't let them tell you it's your K line(s).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #63

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I would suggest that you all contact Durametric and send them a link to this thread. Let them know that you are having the same issue with the earlier cars. They do know about the issue and they do have a fix. Just don't let them tell you it's your K line(s).
Done; Called them on Friday after reading response. . Called again today to troubleshoot and just got off phone. Reloaded everything including firmware. Same issue. Actual values are not running as indicated by time scale at bottom of the log not advancing. Dropped your name (Charles in MO) and solution (hybrid cable) but they are staying mum on this. They are having their engineers analyze the data we collected. Fingers crossed they can come up with a solution. Oh and asked about cam deviations being same running or not, and as I suspected they are probably some glitch that is issue related. More to come.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #64

Quote:
My '98 is having the similar issues with communication. I need to give Durametric a call and get this resolved. As it is now, it can't communicate with any module other than the basic engine module so it is useless for the main reason I got it for, to diagnose and clear the airbag light.
Disaster,

I see your located in Detroit. I recently bought an Autel diagnostic system and was successful in resetting the airbag light on my '01. I'm located in Oakland County if you're interested in giving the Autel a try.

Last edited by Mr176; 07-25-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Mr176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #65

Very generous 176 .
911 Monty , I think that when you put down your cash for a tool you expect it to work the way the manufacturer claims it does and not have to go through the saga that you and others are currently going through . I guess I'll wait for the issues to be resolved before I send off my $400+ , looking forward to your out comes .
Old 07-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #66

I have battery voltage on pin 3 of the ODB connector!!

Quote:
I finally got Windows 10 downloaded and installed, hoping that would fix something. No change.

I read on rennlist that others were having similar issues and it seemed to be primarily with '99s. Looks like it's probably a software issue.

Durametric Communication Problem on K-Line 2 - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Hi, anyone have more information about that? Look like my issue...

When ignition ON, I have battery voltage on pin 3 of my ODB connector.
No communication possible to the airbag module. (I changed the SRS after my mechanic was not able to get to the airbag module too... but same issue).
Airbag light always ON.
Can't lock the doors.
Anyone can confirm that we should not have a voltage on the pin 3 and how I could find where is my short-circuit?
(my car Boxster 98, had a non OEM auto radio, I disconnected it, still same voltage... on Pin 3 :-(

Thank you.
yann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:28 AM   #67

Quote:
Thanks, particlewave. To confirm the issue was with the Durametric and clear my airbag light I bought an Autel MaxiDiag MD802. It had no problem communicating with the same modules and I was able to clear my airbag light with it.

I've put in a ticket to Durametric.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #68

Garage
Good News !!!!

After about 3 weeks of their engineers looking at the files I sent them, Durametric sent me a firmware update by email today. After updating I'm very happy to say that my cable appears to be working as it should. :dance: So if you have any concerns about your cable you may want to update the firmware or give them a call.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:42 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
After about 3 weeks of their engineers looking at the files I sent them, Durametric sent me a firmware update by email today. After updating I'm very happy to say that my cable appears to be working as it should. :dance: So if you have any concerns about your cable you may want to update the firmware or give them a call.
I guess I need to call them. They have not responded to my support ticket or emails.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #70

Garage
Quote:
I guess I need to call them. They have not responded to my support ticket or emails.
Let me know if you'd like to run the Firmware they sent me. I can email it to you. I saved a copy with instructions. The firmware available from the Durametric site is supposedly the same.
What they will have you do if they have not already is delete the Durametric software you have and update the cables firmware. They have made some software changes in the last month or so.