Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #1

Garage
Tiptronic longevity

I am actively looking to buy an older boxster, 00-03, 75-100K. I had only been considering a manual but as I will be using it mainly for commuting in the city I have begun to to think a tip might be a better fit.

I have searched and not found much about how many miles with decent maintenance a tip might or should last.

So I would appreciate any insight anyone could offer.

Thanks

ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #2

Garage
From all I've heard, with proper care, the tip is damn near bullet proof. Even Edd China thinks so.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjohn View Post
I am actively looking to buy an older boxster, 00-03, 75-100K. I had only been considering a manual but as I will be using it mainly for commuting in the city I have begun to to think a tip might be a better fit.

I have searched and not found much about how many miles with decent maintenance a tip might or should last.

So I would appreciate any insight anyone could offer.

Thanks
We have some customers over 200K with Tips that continue to purr along; but they have been religiously serviced every 40-50K since new rather than according to factory recommendations.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
We have some customers over 200K with Tips that continue to purr along; but they have been religiously serviced every 40-50K since new rather than according to factory recommendations.
This is the key earlier service than every 90K and the service done correctly. My Tip has 118K mi., I use it in "M" mode all the time, it's been DE'd and AX'd and still shifts crisply through every gear. One other plus to the Tip is you can't over rev the car.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
This is the key earlier service than every 90K and the service done correctly. My Tip has 118K mi., I use it in "M" mode all the time, it's been DE'd and AX'd and still shifts crisply through every gear. One other plus to the Tip is you can't over rev the car.
What does "DE'd and AX'd" mean???
jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #6

I have 158,000 miles on my Tip so far, and it is still quite strong and reliable. I did a full service on it at 130,000 miles, but have no clue what care it got in its early life.
Most owners and Porsche mechanics I've talked to say that the Tip is one of the most durable auto transmissions ever built.... but again, with proper care.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #7

Driving Experience and Auto Crossing.

Porsche Driving Experience is controlled conditions high speed track driving often with an instructor. Sometimes Porsche Club of America (PCA) sponsored.

Auto-X is a timed short cornering driving "race" using cones to mark the corners/lanes.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl2407 View Post
DE'd is short for HPDE, High Performance Driving Experience, or driving your car on an actual race track. AX'd refers to AutoCross, driving your car as quickly as possible through a course laid out with traffic cones, typically in a large parking lot or a runway at an airport.

DE typically has higher speeds, but the maneuvers come at you much quicker in AX. Both are a lot of fun in a boxster!
Merlotsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
On the slippery slope

Garage
DE is driver education. It's a good way to state it so running your car on the track is not racing nor is it technically competitive driving.

It could have an impact on your car insurance , especially if you bend the car at the track

As far as a Tiptronic, well it is about as bulletproof as they come
Just needs maintaince like everything else
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 12-20-2015 at 12:40 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl2407 View Post
DE stands for Driver Education and AX is Autocross. DE teaches you how your car handles at higher speeds on a track such as Laguna Seca or Sears Point, and AX teaches you how your car handles at lower speeds but in a more confined course that is set up using traffic cones. Both can be timed or done for fun but both teach you something different about your car and how it responds. It is a good way to learn how well Boxsters handle and improve your ability to handle the capabilities of your car. In both cases I've learned that the Boxster is far more capable than my ability to exploit its capabilities but both have made me a more competent driver that has more knowledge to evade potential problems on the highway.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Not really many downsides to the tip. I track my 3.2litre tip and I've noticed it's marginally slower than its manual sibling on the straights but I admit that it's a lot more fun than I had anticipated and, as a daily driver in the city, a lot more relaxing, even in M mode!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:45 AM   #12

142000 kms on my 99. Had it serviced @ 138000 runs and shifts perfectly. And I drive it like I stole it.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote