Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 05:20 AM   #1

Top sensors going wacky?

2000 base model with the Smart Top relay.

after the top is fully down the light on the dash stays on not allowing me to operate the top at all (up or down) or will flicker randomly as i drive. eventually it stays off and i can operate the top again.

any idea what might cause this?

i suspect the micro switches, probably the one in the driver's side transmission that tells what position the top is in.

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 08-08-2015 at 03:38 PM.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #2

i went ahead and opened up the left transmission to have a look at the micro switch in it:

could this little guy be the culprit?

it looked fine to me but i cleaned it up and sprayed some MAF cleaner on it.
didnt fix it so still wondering what to do next..

any ideas would be highly appreciated

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 08-08-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #3

hi guys!

i finally have some time to try and fix the top operation so am resurrecting my long dead thread hoping you guys have some advice.

to make it short: top light stays on the dash all the time now and top does not operate up or down at all (been using it in manual mode for a few months now). before it used to work intermittently allowing me to operate it either up all the way or down all the way or both. not anymore.

i know by now the top needs adjustment(align left and right side to move together correctly) and i understand how to do that BUT since the damn thing won't let me operate it at all i am stuck.

both transmissions seem to work fine (they spin). it's a 2000 so it has the microswitch that tells the top when it's fully closed or opened on the driver's side transmission. i have checked and replaced that microswitch with one from Woody but no change.

at this point i am trying to find a way just to operate the top so i can adjust it. any idea how i can "reset" it? i believe the top thinks its still in operation therefore the light staying on constantly.
i tried pulling out the relay (i have the smart top on which worked ok for 2-3 months until this happened), i used another relay from a friend.. i disconnected the battery..

what else can i try just to get it to move again?

thanks in advance,

Cristian
Old 12-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #4

Garage
Have you locked at Mike Focke's web site? He has a lot of instructions concerning how to trouble shoot the various sensors.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Have you locked at Mike Focke's web site? He has a lot of instructions concerning how to trouble shoot the various sensors.
you're right.. i read his website a very long time ago and forgot how much useful info there is on it. will have a look at that thanks for the tip!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

updating and closing the file on this one.. finally!!!

turns out it was my smart top relay causing issues. i bought an used relay from Woody and the top started moving again. i connected all the pushrods and everything together, aligned both sides and top opens and closes perfectly.

Later i plugged in my smart top relay and when trying to open it, when the top is all the way down and looks fully opened the light is still on the dash and it became inoperable again so for some reason either the relay didnt let the motor operate that extra second or it detects the microswitch position(in the top transmission on the driver's side) incorrectly.

either way i am not using that relay again.
finally done with manual mode and with my "new" glass window no more boxster chop!! hurray!!

the only upside to this is i got very familiar with the top mechanism and how it works which could come in handy in the future or maybe helping others fixing theirs.