986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tiptronic longevity (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59875)

ksjohn 12-20-2015 07:39 AM

Tiptronic longevity

I am actively looking to buy an older boxster, 00-03, 75-100K. I had only been considering a manual but as I will be using it mainly for commuting in the city I have begun to to think a tip might be a better fit.

I have searched and not found much about how many miles with decent maintenance a tip might or should last.

So I would appreciate any insight anyone could offer.

Thanks

jdraupp 12-20-2015 08:10 AM

From all I've heard, with proper care, the tip is damn near bullet proof. Even Edd China thinks so.

JFP in PA 12-20-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksjohn (Post 477132)
I am actively looking to buy an older boxster, 00-03, 75-100K. I had only been considering a manual but as I will be using it mainly for commuting in the city I have begun to to think a tip might be a better fit.

I have searched and not found much about how many miles with decent maintenance a tip might or should last.

So I would appreciate any insight anyone could offer.

Thanks

We have some customers over 200K with Tips that continue to purr along; but they have been religiously serviced every 40-50K since new rather than according to factory recommendations.

Luv2Box 12-20-2015 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 477137)
We have some customers over 200K with Tips that continue to purr along; but they have been religiously serviced every 40-50K since new rather than according to factory recommendations.

This is the key earlier service than every 90K and the service done correctly. My Tip has 118K mi., I use it in "M" mode all the time, it's been DE'd and AX'd and still shifts crisply through every gear. One other plus to the Tip is you can't over rev the car. :cheers:

jpl2407 12-20-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2Box (Post 477140)
This is the key earlier service than every 90K and the service done correctly. My Tip has 118K mi., I use it in "M" mode all the time, it's been DE'd and AX'd and still shifts crisply through every gear. One other plus to the Tip is you can't over rev the car. :cheers:

What does "DE'd and AX'd" mean???

Retroman1969 12-20-2015 10:50 AM

I have 158,000 miles on my Tip so far, and it is still quite strong and reliable. I did a full service on it at 130,000 miles, but have no clue what care it got in its early life.
Most owners and Porsche mechanics I've talked to say that the Tip is one of the most durable auto transmissions ever built.... but again, with proper care.

mikefocke 12-20-2015 11:34 AM

Driving Experience and Auto Crossing.

Porsche Driving Experience is controlled conditions high speed track driving often with an instructor. Sometimes Porsche Club of America (PCA) sponsored.

Auto-X is a timed short cornering driving "race" using cones to mark the corners/lanes.

Merlotsj 12-20-2015 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpl2407 (Post 477147)

DE'd is short for HPDE, High Performance Driving Experience, or driving your car on an actual race track. AX'd refers to AutoCross, driving your car as quickly as possible through a course laid out with traffic cones, typically in a large parking lot or a runway at an airport.

DE typically has higher speeds, but the maneuvers come at you much quicker in AX. Both are a lot of fun in a boxster!

JayG 12-20-2015 12:37 PM

DE is driver education. It's a good way to state it so running your car on the track is not racing nor is it technically competitive driving.

It could have an impact on your car insurance , especially if you bend the car at the track

As far as a Tiptronic, well it is about as bulletproof as they come
Just needs maintaince like everything else

Luv2Box 12-20-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpl2407 (Post 477147)

DE stands for Driver Education and AX is Autocross. DE teaches you how your car handles at higher speeds on a track such as Laguna Seca or Sears Point, and AX teaches you how your car handles at lower speeds but in a more confined course that is set up using traffic cones. Both can be timed or done for fun but both teach you something different about your car and how it responds. It is a good way to learn how well Boxsters handle and improve your ability to handle the capabilities of your car. In both cases I've learned that the Boxster is far more capable than my ability to exploit its capabilities but both have made me a more competent driver that has more knowledge to evade potential problems on the highway.

NewArt 12-20-2015 06:03 PM

Not really many downsides to the tip. I track my 3.2litre tip and I've noticed it's marginally slower than its manual sibling on the straights but I admit that it's a lot more fun than I had anticipated and, as a daily driver in the city, a lot more relaxing, even in M mode!

Xpit77 12-21-2015 03:45 AM

142000 kms on my 99. Had it serviced @ 138000 runs and shifts perfectly. And I drive it like I stole it.:cheers: