Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Rookie

Garage
Trade my base for an S and $5k?

A year ago I bought a 2002 base. Existing IMS was good but replaced the IMS, RMS and the clutch has about 11k miles on it. Currently I have 110k miles on mine. I found a 2002 S model and they want 14k, it has 75k miles on it. Since I can show what Ive spent I suspect I can get 10k as a trade in for mine. The dealer is researching if the IMS was ever done but as of now I am assuming it has NOT been done. I would be able to swap my rims, double din radio, all the lights, seat covers ect...the only thing I would loose (worse case scenario) would be the IMS RMS and fairly new clutch. So, would it be worth the extra $4k????

Old 07-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Drive it. You like the extra ponies? I sure did.

Better brakes, suspension, and so on.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Why are the IMS, RMS and fairly new clutch loose? Bad mechanic?

$5k is not worth the slight increase, IMO.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Why are the IMS, RMS and fairly new clutch loose? Bad mechanic?

$5k is not worth the slight increase, IMO.

Lol its a typo, should be lose.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah, I was trying to be funny
Not my best potato.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-07-2015 at 10:00 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
you may not get $10k on a trade in on your base with 110k miles
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #7

Garage
What are the miles on the new car? If the new car has less miles it's considerable. Drive it and see what you think of the S over base.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:22 AM   #8

Garage
It's nice to jump down 30-40k miles and upgrade to 'S' extras
My 02 S is at 78k miles and with recent front suspension replacements, drives great
Cross my fingers but the original parts have been holding up (AOS, WP, Oil filter/Sump clean)
BUT at 78k miles the laundry list of 'Preventative Maintenance' items grow
You will be re-thinking IMS, RMS, Clutch

I'm curious about your $10k trade in figure.
On the other hand $14k for the 02 S?? - I hope mine is worth that

Can't say logic works for buying these cars - It's an Emotion thing - I guess you go with your gut and your heart
Old 07-08-2015, 04:15 AM   #9

Like others, don't see you getting $10K on a trade-in. Dealer has to be able to turn it around, safety it and sell it - and if an S with lower K's is selling at 14....how is he going to make any money off your trade?
Old 07-08-2015, 04:19 AM   #10
Rookie

Garage
Thanks all for the input. Perhaps 10k is a bit generous for my trade in. I spent 10k on it a year ago, had 99k miles, and I would have receipts in hand for these three big mechanical items. Thats certainly not the piece of mind I got when I purchased it. Ive also cut and buffed (not just filled in the imperfections but cut and buffed) the clear coat to near perfection since Ive owned it, this resulted in a paint finish worthy of a Porsche. Initially it had lots of marring and spider web scratches from many years of being ignored, but I suppose the paint work Ive done wont add much value besides saving the dealer a cheap fill-in wax, the one that will eventually wash off thats typical of their detailing work.

Thus far I have just called, asking if the IMS, RMS and clutch status was known. He said that "everyone" had been asking about that same thing. There is another dealer with a 2000 S with 75k miles that is also asking 14k. Despite what looks like a little better options package its silver and an automatic so its not really an option for me. But it does let me know that 14k price is about on-track for this model year and milage Im considering. Ill take a look and drive both in the next couple days and see what Im offered for my trade in...
Old 07-08-2015, 04:37 AM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Never trust the seller. Dealer or private. You have due diligence to perform in price research. 10k for a base with 99k seems high especially if not mint and IMS done. Then it's an easy call to go S for 4k. But a 6k jump is often a deal breaker. And don't be fooled by the name Porsche. There are many P cars that have very little value or sub 10k. Look in different markets. Fly there and drive them. It's an investment. Try several. Find yours, not just what's local.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #12
On the slippery slope

Garage
It does not matter what you paid for upgrades or maintenance. Only a fraction of it will apply to the value, especially on a trade in to a dealer
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #13

I don't think that's a good trade. The big question is will this be your daily driver or your weekend car?

For one thing, not all 75k miles are created equal. Are those year round miles, meaning the car was driven on winter roads? If so the car's suspension has had a work out and typically will not have much left in the tank. If its still on the original clutch/RMS that doesn't have a whole left either and you'll be looking at $4K once you toss in the IMS/flywheel. New rear axle boots while your in there.
Known Boxster weak spots have to be factored in like the water pump, coolant tank, AOS and high mileage stuff like the rear tires (possibly all four), rotors and pads. All this stuff ads up.

I'd hold out for a lower mileage S model, preferably one where the seller can tell you straight away if the IMS was done because the previous owner was an enthusiast and made it known. There are so many Boxsters/Coxsters and Carreras out there sitting pampered in garages. Preferably one from Southern California. If you want the best deal on a Porsche you have to be willing to travel a little. But the last thing I would do would be to go for a car at a dealer with a built-in expense of the middle man's commission. If this were a car that's become hard to come by then the broker makes sense.

P.S.
I think you could get $10K for a base but only if you've done some of the big major maintenance jobs aside from the IMS. But then again, if your car looks purty there's always a first time Porsche buyer who will often overpay because he went nuts for the car after the test drive and doesn't want to bother with waiting or kicking tires. Water-cooled Porsches have very wide ranges on resale.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-08-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
Rookie

Garage
Thanks all for the solid advice. Perfect Lap pretty much nailed it - theres 75,000 miles and then theres 75,000 miles. This car was obviously parked outdoors and very likely driven year round. Ive never drove an S and I didnt bother to drive this one. I figure what I dont know cant hurt me, right? But sadly I didnt take it for a spin for anything that noble, nope it was because I was so disgusted this joker was asking 14k for a car in fair shape, at best. It was rough and I wasted my time driving to see it, if its even possible to waste your time driving a Boxster thats always been garaged to see a Boxster that never has. I will say that seeing this 2002 made me appreciate my 2002, even if I spent too much on a 2002 with 99k...

And yes, I guess I was pretty naive to think that the mechanical work Ive done is worth anything, anything at all. He would give me $5500. I know I can find better in an S model but then with the possibilities; Rows, Chevy engines, brake kits, 997 shifters, sport seats....who needs an S anyway?

Last edited by TypeA; 07-08-2015 at 04:50 PM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #15

FYI, a year and a half ago (Jan '14) I gave $11K for a very well cared for 03S with 102K miles. The car had been advertised on this forum. It was gorgeoius, with PSS9, litronics, bose, carrera light. The RMS, IMS and clutch was replaced as well.

Shop and yee shall find!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote