Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #61

Garage
And you can count me in for peeing my pants. I lack the skill to drive in that type of manner, but would love to experience it.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #62
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
And you can count me in for peeing my pants. I lack the skill to drive in that type of manner, but would love to experience it.
You're just too used to those military vehicles lol.

Thanks for your service!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #63

I certainly hope that I, the wife nor any of the kids are out and about when any of you brain trusts decide to dip deep into triple digits for kicks on public roads.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #64
Need For Speed

Garage
"okay and don't forget your soap box on the way out"
Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Cute.

I ask this in all seriousness; Have you ever been involved in or witnessed a high speed accident? Do you have any clue as to what happens to a passenger vehicle or the human body when they collide / tumble or strike something static at 150 plus mph?

Oh, I forgot, you like to make people pee their pants, in your automatic........
Old 04-02-2015, 06:56 AM   #66

120.6 according to my GPS (5Hz) at Roebling Road.

It seemed pretty fast but feels pretty slow compared to some of these. I have never gotten anywhere close to that on the highway.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #67
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Mindless and reckless driving = idiots

Survival tip: Anticipation and Safety --> serviced car on serviced roads = No problem to drive fast(er), if legal and circumstances/conditions are ok --> Autobahn

Basically seen it all after driving for decades on the Autobahn... most crashes on country roads though...Crash with 50 or 150mph = both can be deadly...even with 25mph
Old 04-02-2015, 07:27 AM   #68

In the spirit of full disclosure, I had my days of recklessness as a young man and did many foolish things so I fully understand the bravado tone of this discussion. That was long before I could afford a Porsche, track car or track days for that matter.

Not to be the old curmudgeon but there should be a voice of reason when it comes to driving the aforementioned speeds on public roads, it is seriously dangerous not just to the fool driving but to others on the road. Has anyone ever tried to recover or regain control of a car exceeding 150 mph, or 100 mph for that matter on a public road? Hint......You Don't.

Lastly, MANY years back, 155 mph in a Mustang Cobra at VIR before "Hog Pen". Many years before that 180 plus mph (wasn't checking speedo much) on a Suzuki GSXR on a different track..........

Last edited by coreseller; 04-02-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #69

55mph. :dance::dance::dance::dance:
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #70
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I certainly hope that I, the wife nor any of the kids are out and about when any of you brain trusts decide to dip deep into triple digits for kicks on public roads.
I promised myself that I wasn't going to get all preachy when I saw this thread, but...
My daughter lives just west of KC with her husband and my grandson.

In 1996 after two aircraft collided doing a demonstration they laid out the wreckage in the hangar for months. I had to walk past the blood smeared cockpit several times a day. I knew the people that had died and been damaged. It was sobering and humbling.

Often life and death can be separated by an inch, or a fraction of a second. A lot of unexpected things can happen on a public highway. For example U.S. highways are littered with tire debris. A 6" chunk can do some serious damage at 75 mph and, no doubt, kill you at 130.

Here are 2 Porsches. I don't know the circumstances and got these images from an auction site. I'd guess the red one was at normal highway speed. The white one probably >100 mph.

*The biohazard may include urine from the passenger.

I won't bore you further with stories from my work as an EMS pilot.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I promised myself that I wasn't going to get all preachy when I saw this thread, but...
Yeah, I held my tongue for awhile not wanting to be the Schleprock (gotta be old to know him too lol) at the party.

Interesting video for those unacquainted with the consequences:

A MUCH uglier situation that was posted broadly on the internet many years back, Google "Porsche Girl", it's pretty grizzly and should not be viewed by those with weak stomachs.

Last edited by coreseller; 04-02-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #72
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Cute.

I ask this in all seriousness; Have you ever been involved in or witnessed a high speed accident? Do you have any clue as to what happens to a passenger vehicle or the human body when they collide / tumble or strike something static at 150 plus mph?

Oh, I forgot, you like to make people pee their pants, in your automatic........
Apparently you missed post #39 of mine. I put nobody in danger but myself. As for the automatic, it's not slow and I get to keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY View Post
55mph. :dance::dance::dance::dance:
Your state has highways with 65mph highways. My state has 70mph and then there are these, with Texas having 85mph.

Four states — Idaho, Texas, Utah and Wyoming — now have top authorized limits of at least 80 mph. A dozen more states have top speed limits of 75 mph, including Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma and South Dakota. Moreover, 22 additional states have a top speed limit of 70 mph, five of which (Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Tennessee) average 70 mph across their urban and rural interstates and other limited-access roads, as listed by the GHSA.

All those speeds can kill people, even 55mph.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #73

Quote:
Apparently you missed post #39 of mine. I put nobody in danger but myself. As for the automatic, it's not slow and I get to keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times.

I'm not going to trade any more barbs with you Kram, if you want to turn yourself into a smear on the road that's your call. Just think twice about the prospects of killing / maiming some poor unsuspecting guy and his family out of sight over the next rise.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #74
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
I'm not going to trade any more barbs with you Kram, if you want to turn yourself into a smear on the road that's your call. Just think twice about the prospects of killing / maiming some poor unsuspecting guy and his family out of sight over the next rise.
I am very cautious of others. If you go back to post #31 I have Google street view of that stretch. You can see everything, no steep hills to obscure view, you can probably see 2 miles or more ahead of you at all times.

I appreciate the concern, this is not something I do every day. I didn't even set out to do it that day, was just out for a drive and the opportunity presented itself.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #75
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Survival tips:
Anticipate the stupidity (and carelessness) of other drivers ahead
Never underestimate aqua-planning, even at low speeds (the only reason why any car would hit a wall or bridge pillar frontally)
BIG Trucks --> exploding tyres or sudden lane changes or you name it

Knowing your car and conditions in general can make legal high speed travelling safe(r)...but you'll never know the actions of other drivers...ALWAYS EXPECT THE WORST and anticipate them...that is your life insurance for the Autobahn.

Just imagine going @+150mph left lane...sudden lane change of another car @50mph...EXPECT THE WORST

Last edited by BRAN; 04-02-2015 at 12:59 PM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #76

I've avoided this thread as I know reading too much would just annoy the heck out of me. I'm a big believer of staying within a reasonable amount of the speed limit and just generally not driving like a jerk.

Many have said - I anticipate, or, I only do it when no one is around, or some other such nonsense.

Seriously - if you want to drive like a jerk and put everyone's safety in jeopardy - go to the track. That's why we have tracks. And to talk about anticipating things - mechanical failures happen. Tires do blowout. I would bet that most people who get in an accident 'didn't mean to'.

Oh well, I guess this thread does help separate the selfish from those who actually think of others.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #77
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Yep, Giller you're right.

That is a no brainer of course:
High Speed ONLY where it is legal. Illegal speeding endangers EVERYONE as it cannot be anticipated, ERGO endangers everyone.

As I regularly drive on US/Canadian roads, I know there are a lot of "scary" star wars drivers on your roads, you guys just don't like to follow "rules" as happily as we do over here

...oh and I have seen some junkers on the roads, they would not last a day over here, would be a feast for the Polizei telling people how to keep roads safe. Just install stricter laws (mandatory driving schools, Tüv, zero alcohol tolerance, point system with the possibility to loose your drivers license, etc.) and there is no reason, why you guys should not have a "safe" Autobahn.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #78
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
I've avoided this thread as I know reading too much would just annoy the heck out of me. I'm a big believer of staying within a reasonable amount of the speed limit and just generally not driving like a jerk.

Many have said - I anticipate, or, I only do it when no one is around, or some other such nonsense.

Seriously - if you want to drive like a jerk and put everyone's safety in jeopardy - go to the track. That's why we have tracks. And to talk about anticipating things - mechanical failures happen. Tires do blowout. I would bet that most people who get in an accident 'didn't mean to'.

Oh well, I guess this thread does help separate the selfish from those who actually think of others.
You obviously have not read my post. A good place to start would be post #4.

and I'll add this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Yep, Giller you're right.

That is a no brainer of course:
High Speed ONLY where it is legal. Illegal speeding endangers EVERYONE as it cannot be anticipated, ERGO endangers everyone.

As I regularly drive on US/Canadian roads, I know there are a lot of "scary" star wars drivers on your roads, you guys just don't like to follow "rules" as happily as we do over here

...oh and I have seen some junkers on the roads, they would not last a day over here, would be a feast for the Polizei telling people how to keep roads safe. Just install stricter laws (mandatory driving schools, Tüv, zero alcohol tolerance, point system with the possibility to loose your drivers license, etc.) and there is no reason, why you guys should not have a "safe" Autobahn.

Actually the stretch of highway I was on is just as good as the Autobahn, although there does need to be wire barrier installed through there. On down further that road turns from 70 mph to 65 mph and they have the wire barriers there.

After thinking about it, they probably don't put the wire barrier there so the police can cross the median and go after someone speeding. BTW: If you do 70 mph through there with normal traffic, you'll get ran over, it's a very long stretch of highway.

Follow I-435 and you'll see. I got on at the 96st on ramp and exited at the 152 off ramp.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kansas+City,+MO+64163,+USA/@39.3219357,-94.699728,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x87c05dc50a8d3c7f:0xa12a7b810e967 e6a

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-02-2015 at 04:15 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #79

Quote:
Alright. Since you've decided to continue I will state it bluntly........Grow up and keep your childish antics off of the streets.

I believe the old adage applies here......Your freedom ends where my nose begins.....which in turn says don't act the jackass if it endangers others. Simple Enough?

Oh, and I'm sure this occurred purely because Google maps wasn't available at the time........

Don't let your arrogance and stupidity cause others harm, you're fooling yourself to think otherwise.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #80
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Alright. Since you've decided to continue I will state it bluntly........Grow up and keep your childish antics off of the streets.

I believe the old adage applies here......Your freedom ends where my nose begins.....which in turn says don't act the jackass if it endangers others. Simple Enough?

Oh, and I'm sure this occurred purely because Google maps wasn't available at the time........

Don't let your arrogance and stupidity cause others harm, you're fooling yourself to think otherwise.
Apparently you can't read. Post #4

Quote:
Oh yeah there is more lol. My previous was 132 MPH, different stretch of highway.

I just happened to hit a nice long stretch with no cars for miles, so I blew the dust out of her. Yeah the car felt completely planted the whole time. I could have got more, but had to slow down for my exit.

I've read the top speed of a Boxster S is 164 MPH. Is that governed or just an estimate?
Once again I put nobody in danger but myself. You don't end my freedom, I'll drive however the hell I want to drive if I'm only putting myself in danger, simple enough?

More then likely you're being a hypocrite, like you never driven your Boxster spiritedly on any public road. Save it bud.

EDIT: WTF are you talking about on Google maps?

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-02-2015 at 08:04 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote