Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #1

Unhappy My '99 is down for a while :(

My '99 has some serious water damage on the interior. Water leaked in somehow and totally fried my electronic box underneath my seat. Luckily, I work with a bunch of aircraft mechanics so they have some knowledge on how to remove and replace things like this! (Although I'm getting a Bentley Manual just for good measure). Thinking I might take this opportunity to do some interior changes that I've always wanted to do.

I'll keep all of you posted on the progress. In the meantime, here's a pic of my baby getting the inside taken out. (The forum keeps turning my image upside down so I used Imgur (sorry if this is breaking any forum rules)

http://i.imgur.com/rUE90Vh.jpg?1

Old 02-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Clean the drain plugs under the base of your windshield.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Clean the drain plugs under the base of your windshield.
I don't think that's it (but I'll still check). The water is behind my seats. Soaking into the engine compartment. Something behind me is leaking. There isn't any wetness or anything by the windshield or in front of the seats. That's how I never noticed it.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Just wrap IMG tags around the url
[IMG]url here[/IMG]

Old 02-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #5

There are drains under the clamshell as well, correct? Those might be the issue.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #6

Garage
Put your top in the service position and look at the recess under the clamshell, where the top folds into, and you will see two drain holes, one on each side. Make sure they are cleared of debris and draining properly. More than likely this is where the water came from.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #7

Yes, check your drains. You might also check your rear foam on each side for crack. I tore the foam on the passenger side when installing a top/frame on one of my Boxsters. I had no idea until I noticed a damp stink after a big rain.

I pulled the passenger seat and carpet (..and console, and shifter etc). and the carpet and foam under the carpet was soaked. After removal, I could litteraly ring out the foam. I left the carpet out for days to let it dry (summer, luckily). I was lucky it was the passenger side as it do doubt would have fried the imobilizer if it had been the driver side.

I ended up pulling the top/frame back out and found the tear under the top frame. I pulled the carpet around the B pillar and fire wall and could watch the water pour into the interior I poured a cup into the foam tray (drains were clear),

I sealed it with RTV and checked it out after letting it dry. Problem solved. I reinstalled the top/frame and was good to go.

Lucky!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:58 AM   #8

So I found out what may be causing the draining into my cabin.

About two months ago my convertible stopped working while open. So I had to release the cover and convertible from the motors so I could put it back up. Well, apparently, from bouncing around in that car while driving, the unattached rods angled themselves to where they poked a hole in the membrane of the top storage area (where the current drains are). So my current drains must be full so everything started going in the new membrane holes. So we're assuming those are what's causing the water to get into the cabin.

We're removing the seats right now so we can get the Alarm CU out (thankfully it's not broken, maybe just a corroded connector) and dry it out.

Does the Alarm CU also control the interior dome light and windows? Those are also malfunctioning.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:41 AM   #9

So we got the Alarm CU out from underneath the drivers seat. This is what it looks like:

Old 02-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Those boxes are often still usable after a thorough cleaning, but I think that yours is beyond that. A used set with the central locking unit, key transponder, and DME can usually be found on eBay (be sure it's from a compatible year/model). You can also send your box out for repair: M531, M534, M535 Immobilizer CLU Alarm Box for Porsche Boxster - Specialized ECU Repair.

If you didn't pull the carpet out yet, I'd strongly recommend it. The foam padding underneath holds a lot of water and does not dry well in place.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Those boxes are often still usable after a thorough cleaning, but I think that yours is beyond that. A used set with the central locking unit, key transponder, and DME can usually be found on eBay (be sure it's from a compatible year/model). You can also send your box out for repair: M531, M534, M535 Immobilizer CLU Alarm Box for Porsche Boxster - Specialized ECU Repair.

If you didn't pull the carpet out yet, I'd strongly recommend it. The foam padding underneath holds a lot of water and does not dry well in place.
Carpet is out and getting repaired. ^_^ I'll look into getting a compatible ACU/Key/DME.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #12

Madly, the delicate electronics are in a shallow depression in the floor-exactly where any water will drain to.
Just drill two holes in the lowest point of the floor about 3" apart. Fit an a/c condensate drain fitting to both holes.These little rubber tubes are fitted to many GM & Ford cars and cost less than $5.
You can also fit a shallow spacer to the bottom of the 'electric box' to keep it out of the puddle. There was a bright idea posted about sealing the box .
With a little effort ,this will never happen again ,even if you get caught with the top down in a hurricane !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #13
Registered Boxster abuser

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others - View Profile: itsnotanova

He probably has a couple for sale
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #14

I think I may have just had the best luck ever (and it's been a ****************ty week so this is perfect). But my coworker cleaned a majority of the corossion off of the Alarm CU and we plugged it back into my car. The car turned on immediately, the dome light is working now, the windows are working properly and the car is locking properly! Nothing is broken anymore as far as I can tell! The Comfort Setting for the windows doesn't work but that's something I could live without!

We'll do some more tests and see what happens.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #15

Great news! What do you mean by comfort setting? The auto open/close function? That has to be programmed if the battery is reset usually and I would guess in this case too. I don't remember the exact procedure but it involves taking the Windows all the way down then holding until you reach the top and repeat the down and up action again. Please refer to the manual or maybe someone else will pitch in here.

Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinkthompson View Post
I think I may have just had the best luck ever (and it's been a ****************ty week so this is perfect). But my coworker cleaned a majority of the corossion off of the Alarm CU and we plugged it back into my car. The car turned on immediately, the dome light is working now, the windows are working properly and the car is locking properly! Nothing is broken anymore as far as I can tell! The Comfort Setting for the windows doesn't work but that's something I could live without!

We'll do some more tests and see what happens.

amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote