Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #1

986 boxster value

is there any potential for a boxster to become a future classic? it may not reach the status of a 911, but it is still a Porsche. And how much lower would it still depreciate if it's a '97? i am considering the purchase of a '97 Boxster.

jr1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #2

Smile

As a dealer, I would NOT buy a 97 to either be a driver or a classic.

If I was better on colector value, i would say the 2000 S would be a candidate.

However, like the 944, I don't see tons of topside.

IMHO!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:23 PM   #3

The term "classic" is a slippery one. In some circles any car over 25 years old is a classic. Others hold a much narrower view of what consitutes a classic, and bring in such things as limited production, price, performance, and even snob appeal.
Going by the first definition, all you have to do is hang on to it long enough and virtually any car is a classic. By the second standard, the Box will never be a classic because too many of them have been built.
If you go by the opinion of the Porsche expert that writes for Sports Car Market magazine, virtually no road-going Porsche made since the 904 will be a classic.
I think there will be a couple, the 959 and the Carrera GT. But don't hold your breath on the Boxster, in any of it's varieties.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I think time has shown that ANY porsche can hold some value if it has been taken care of.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #5

I bought a '97 in November '05 with real low miles and drive it every day. I anticipate certain expenses due to the age of the car and so forth. So far I have put about 4,000 miles on it and it's been flawless. I don't expect it to appreciate at all but I also expect it to hold some value so I can put a year or two on it and move up to a newer Boxster. I love the car and sometimes feel the vehicle gets a bad rap for some of its delinquencies. I am logging all maintenance and problems and will post as they occur. So far no issues at all, but I just past 13,000 miles. I drive in all weather conditions (including snow) but I do "baby" the car. If the vehicle you're considering has been properly cared for, and the records prove it, I would not be too afraid of an older Boxster. Just understand the car is 9 years old and you must be prepared for the contingencies. Anyway, if I had to do it all over...I still love the car! This group can help you along and I wish you the best! Good Luck!!
P.S. I agree the Boxster will not be a collectable. Except for mine!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:59 AM   #6

I agree with Ronzi - there are multiple definitions of classic. One added category: cars that remind people of their youth. There's a generational buying point when people reach financial security. Production numbers don't necessarily correlate - each generation has a couple of cars that caught the imagination. Model A's for my dad, '55 or '57 Chevy's for the generation slightly ahead of me, etc.
The sixties were interesting because of an explosion in the number of performance cars. Triumphs and MG's were made in large numbers; people went back to them later, but the prices stayed low. XKE prices soared. Sunbeam Tigers, never a highly known or popular car in their day, but the prices stayed high later on (!?). Mach 1 Mustangs, Hemi-Cudas, etc. - collectible.
Late 70's and early 80's were mostly dogs because of smog gear. I have often wondered where that gen will go for their classics. Mustang II? Probably not.
The Boxster: hard to say. There are a lot out there, bad for prices but good for the fact that a lot of people have access to them and enjoy them. Looks: a real winner IMHO. Collectible? I don't think the prices will skyrocket. But I think they will never be dogs ("hundred dollar cars) either, they will always hold a certain market value.
Looking for an investment to put the kids thru college? Look elsewhere. Looking for a great car to drive and enjoy, get near 911 performance at half the cost, and be safe in the knowledge that you can sell it down the line without taking a bath (if properly kept)? Look no further.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:54 AM   #7

In spite of my dissing the Boxster's potential to be a classic, I think there are a few things that can be said about it's potential as a collectable car.
Take a look at the values of the 356 series of Porsches. They were produced from say 1950 to 1964. Which ones are the most valuable (collectable) today? I would say it is the earliest models. However the '64 model is probably the most driveable of the series. The cars got better as they went along, but that does not necessarily translate to collectability.
From that standpoint, the early Boxsters may be the most collectable ones 40 or 50 years from now. The earliest cars of any series are generally regarded as the purest expression of the original concept of the car. Later models almost invariably become loaded with more compromises to appeal to a wider segement of buyers.
Does that mean the '97-'99 first series cars will be more collectable than the second series and the S? Not necessarily, as there is also the "sweet spot" theory of car collectability.
For many years the Corvette Stingray of '63 - '67 were regarded as the most collectable of the whole series, particularly the 427/435hp versions of the '67 model. This was the sweet spot of 'vette production. The early 'vettes, particularly the '53 and '54 models were generally ignored by collectors. This is changing somewhat, but the early cars still lag behind the value of the Stingrays.
Maybe those 2000S Boxsters will be regarded as the sweet spot of the Boxster line.
The worst thing is, it's going to take a long time to find out.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback. Though it remains to be seen, I just want to make sure that the boxster will hold a certain value let's say 5 years from now. Or up to what certain point will Boxsters' depreciation would kind of slow down and stabilize given the fact that it is properly taken care of. Though it may not be a classic, or won't be a classic, but it may become collectible, specially when years go by and there are less and less 986 Boxsters running around.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:39 AM   #9

Wink

"Though it may not be a classic, or won't be a classic, but it may become collectible, specially when years go by and there are less and less 986 Boxsters running around"

Not to burst your bubble but there ARE tons of Boxsters on the road today and MOST will be maintained fairly well. That is the good news for folks who someday will pay 10K for a nicely maintained Boxster that looks and runs fine.

I don't think the Boxster will ever be a 2500 buck car. I do think it will look a bit like the 944 market EXCEPT that Porsche never created any unique Boxsters, ala the 944 TURBO S and the like.

Those 944s have retained some value and are arguably going to be real collectors.

Time will tell.

In the interim, it is a cheap thrill of a car as a used car!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:37 PM   #10

I'm in the market for a Boxster right now, and my perception is that the Boxsters don't really hold their value all that well in the first couple of years. I mean I've seen 2003 Boxsters S's in the high 20's/low 30's in good condition. So they depreciated 20 thousand dollars in 3 years. Though that may not be horrible and percentage-wise that seems about normal when compared to other cars but this is a Porsche sports car! I don't know if I'm missing something, but I would've thought they hold their value more so, but I guess some of it has to do with my false premonitions about how exclusive and rare they are. Living in the Northeast I hardly see Boxsters, but I'm sure out in the warm climate states they are much more common. These large numbers sold I guess have put the Boxster on a similar depreciation track as cars like the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.

BTW, this is fine by me, buying a relatively new premium convertible sports car with the porche badge on it for the same price as a loaded Mazda6, Accord, Maxima, or Camry is fine by me!
Zerostatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #11

I'm just hoping that if I get a used Boxster now, that its depreciation would be slower. I would expect to spend more on repairs and maintenance than it's yearly depreciation. But I don't want its value to be $5,000 in 5-10 years specially after putting in $$$ to restore and properly maintain it. So I'm just hoping that it will hold its value much better that what we all would expect. After all, this is considered by the auto publications as one of the top sports car.